FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

J.C. Higgins made by Daisy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: J.C. Higgins made by Daisy
    Posted: December-26-2015 at 5:32pm
A friend of mine just bought a Ccatus Carbine with the brand in the plastic stock but the stock and fore end are black. All of the other branded ones I have seen are the light brown/yellow like a golden Eagle. It is almost like new. Wish I had run across it first.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2015 at 4:07pm
I never messed with Santa either. He almost always got it right. When he didn't....discretion is the better part of valor. He brung me a dehydrator this year. Already made a batch of jerky and got some pineapple drying in it right now. Thanks Santa.
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
mellowmann1951 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellowmann1951 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2015 at 5:51pm
Have the same.  got it as a kid in 1958 or 1959. same brand name, same model name, same model number.  It came from Santa Clause so I didn't ask any questions but he may have gotten it from Eatons or Simpson-Sears in Saskatoon, Sask, Canada
willielumplump View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Doublemeat Doublemeat wrote:

Oh, yea, forgot to say:

Will probably not sell it after all...  now that I know the BAT story!
That is a great ending to this thread!  That piece of Americana will probably remain in your family as long as there is someone to pass it on to;  you might want to print out this thread and keep it close to that gun, because it is a really neat history and brings out the humanity in an otherwise callus world.

There are many times when I speculate about the history of a new purchase, and wonder if the original owner got as much of a charge as I do when I unwrap the thing and fire some shots at a tin can or empty cardboard toilet paper roll  (man, they go flying!).
Semper Fi
Tbird View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 7:45am
Originally posted by Doublemeat Doublemeat wrote:

And here is a 111:

The 111-40 has wood stocks, a carbine ring on the receiver and has the magazine tube (lightning loader as Stevec mentioned) below the barrel.  Mine does not have these things.  Also, the owner of the 111-40 states that the forearm stock ring was added.

So, I concur with you Steve, not a 111 but I think MOST like (and perhaps not exactly) a model 80.
Aside from these features though, they are quite simular in size and shape.

Hi Doublemeat.....Hey I think the model 111 that stevec was talking about is actually a Daisy Model 111 and the one that you are talking about is the Daisy Model 40 No. 111. Not really a big deal, I just wanted to clarify that. (had to add my two cents to this post....lol). I have to agree that what you have is a nice gun and with a story like that attached to it I would never sell it, especially for $35. 
Doublemeat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doublemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 5:05am
Steve,

I think I agree with you about not being a 111.  My Higgins is more like a model 80.

Check this auction below for a photo of a model 80 on Aucitonarms:

Then look at the Higgins that is just like mine:

And here is a 111:

The only diff beteen the two is that the model 80 has a proper looking sling swivel (and not a cheap screw in eye hook) and it is a different color.  It also has the same sights, but looks like the 80 rear is adjustable (mine is fixed).  Plastic stocks / forestock ring are the same, has an attaching screw for the forestock, and has the same kind of loading port.

The 111-40 has wood stocks, a carbine ring on the receiver and has the magazine tube (lightning loader as Stevec mentioned) below the barrel.  Mine does not have these things.  Also, the owner of the 111-40 states that the forearm stock ring was added.

So, I concur with you Steve, not a 111 but I think MOST like (and perhaps not exactly) a model 80.
Aside from these features though, they are quite simular in size and shape.

Again, I thank you guys both Stevec and Willie for helping me solve my mystery!
It was alot of fun poking around on the internet and getting good information for a change, and meeting some nice folks!

This is a fun forum!  One of the best! Tongue 
Perhaps I will become a full fledged "Daisy Nut"!
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 3:32am
Hey doublemeat
That was a good story.The olny thing I can add is it isn't in the class of the 111 or Cactus carbines as they were lightning loaders and yours isn't.I know the guy that sold the one like yours and he knows alot about the Daisys and if there was more to know about it he would have put it in his description of the rifle.Either way you got a neat little rifle
Stevec
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doublemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 5:50pm

Oh, yea, forgot to say:

Will probably not sell it after all...  now that I know the BAT story!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doublemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 5:46pm
Willie,

You were "right on the money" with your value estimate.
The one in the auction (link above) sold for $35, and you said $15-$35.

Based on the fact that I know the history of my PARTICULAR carbine,
I am going to say 1967.  I also got some more info about it today, from my mother.

Turns out it didnt belong to my late cousin... his father (my late uncle) purchased it.
It seems that they had, in there very old home, for a period of time, a bat infestation problem.

He wanted something to pick 'em off in the attic, without blowing a hole in the house.
The only other gun he ever had was a 12ga double barrel (which would sort of let more bats INTO the house... Big smile)

Story goes, he used to go up in the attic with the carbine and a flashlight and take care of business, by wounding them, then picking them up with a gloved hand and putting them in a bucket of soapy water.  They couldnt afford an exterminator, so the $5.95 J.C. Higgins cactus carbine from the local Sears & Roebuck, a tube of BB's, a flashlight, and my uncle's courage seemed like an economical solution to the problem.

Addtionally, I always thought my aunt played tennis, because there was always a tennis
racket in the back bedroom.  The tennis racket was also for the bats if they came downstairs.

All this was when I was a little shaver, which would be in the mid-60's.
I've always admired the ingenuity of farmers... low cost solutions to large problems!
willielumplump View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 3:09pm
I think it could easily be classified as a Cactus Carbine due to the silk screen image of the crouched cowboy w/carbine; it definitely looks like a Daisy Model 111.  These are sturdy little BB guns and as you have discovered, fun to shoot.

I feel comfortable with the dollar valuatrion that I renderedWink  but what I would like to know next is where was the gun manufactured; I couldn't see anything on the AuctionArmsk web page on the 'sample' you gave us; that was a smart looking specimen and the buyer got a good deal as did the seller.Clap

Dave Albert and Gary Garber wrote a desertation on Daisy Gun Regisgter and Lot Numbers, but I have not been able to put it to any practical use because it totally confuses me.  The only area where I think I kinow what I am talking about is the designation of the months of manufacture which was adopted effective November 1,  1972, but the original regisster numbering system began November, 1952

You would have to really dedicate yourself to long kterm stuidying in order to understand the various numbering schemes that Daisy used over the years.

I will hazard a guess and say that your gun was mfg July, 1967 or 1977Confused but that is very highly speculative.Ouch
Semper Fi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic