Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy bb gun model 1000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2018 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Don Nicholson Don Nicholson wrote:

I have a model 1000.  It was on the Mantle of the Daisy Factory in Plymouth Michigan until the company closed.  My father worked for the company that was there after Daisy closed. 
If that's the case, it would have to have been made prior to Daisys move in '58, which would coincide with what was posted above by bangpla. But I do believe there were model 1000s that were not made for Western Auto, and nothing I've been able to come up with so far has shown the Western Auto versions to have been made that early (1957-'58). Doesn't mean it's not true, just that I cannot document it.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2018 at 8:27pm
Not sure about the year of production but my model1000 clearly states Rogers Arkansas by the Daisy name. Did Plymouth guns have an address?
Air-It-Is
bangpla View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bangpla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2018 at 9:23am

I have checked my Daisy 1000 once again and of course it does have a Rogers, AR address, so this would make it after the 1958 time period Daisy moved to Arkansas. 

My gun has a painted black finish, and is stamped No: B622037, no other markings or stenciling.

Excellent condition, wood and paint.

I have this gun for sale, $75.00 plus shipping

pictures at tatankatoo@aol.com 
LOUIE LeMASTER U S ARMY VIETNAM VETERAN 66-68
DAISY MUSEUM LIFETIME MEMBER # 40
tatankatoo@aol.com
text or call 702-250-1937
twocompassheads View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocompassheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2018 at 12:55am
In the Daisy Airgun Collector's Guide it says that the model 1000 Western Auto was manufactured from 1965 to late 1980's.
Lever Action
700 shot
wood stock and molded forearm
painted finish
Keep On Plinking
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocompassheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2018 at 1:03am
Bangpla, your gun shows a reg. number B6 so that could be Feb. 1966 or Feb. 1976.  I don't know if it's an 1986 gun, I'm not that familiar with them.  Does yours have the plastic forearm and wood stock?
Keep On Plinking
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2018 at 8:57am
The REG. NO. system wasn't configured for dating using the letter for month and first number for year until the '70s. Prior to that only Daisy records can give an exact date. By '86 the numbering system had changed yet again. So if the gun has other attributes that place it in the early '70s to early '80s, the gun would have a date of 02-76.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocompassheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2018 at 11:54pm
Cobalt, this numbering system from Gary Garber and Dave Albert said in November 1st 1972 it will officially start.  Looking at the older 1894's they seem to follow this pattern.  But with some discrepancies.  Maybe this was going on for a while in production but not official.  Not sure just throwing it out there. 

The Daisy Numbering system

September 13 2013 at 7:59 PM

Grant  (Premier Login Grantthekiwi)
Owner

Response to Dave Albert. Daisy Resource.

Some info shared with me by Dave Albert.

Grant,

I dont know if you receive Gary Garbers Daisy Nuts email. If you dont, I thought you might be interested in the article that Gary and I worked up on the Daisy numbering system.

Cheers,

Dave

Daisy Gun Register and Lot Numbers

by

Dave Albert and Gary Garber

The numbering of Daisy BB guns began with a memo dated November 28, 1952, from Daisys Robert Shafer. In the memo, Shafer specified that register stamping would begin on December 1, 1952 (guns were then being produced in Plymouth, Michigan). The first number to be stamped on the small frame barrels was to be 000001. The first number to be stamped on the No. 25 jackets (receiver) was to be K000001. In this same memo Shafer specified that, Prior to assembling registered guns, all non-registered barrels and jackets must be used, including those to be reblued, brushed, etc.

These first registered small frame guns included the Nos. 111, 102, and 155. The barrels and receivers of these guns were stamped and formed from a single piece of sheet metal. The large frame guns were made in two parts - a receiver and a barrel - and welded together, like the No. 142 (or in the case of the No. 25, held together with a thumb screw).

The first registered large frame guns included the Nos. 25 and 142 and these were stamped with the K prefix. History does not tell us the reason for starting the large frame gun sequence with the letter K, but we do note that the number of the pierce and stamp machine used to stamp the large frame guns contained the letter K. The machines used to stamp the small frames did not.

Daisy production records show that the No. 111, Model 40 Red Ryders made on December 2, 1952 were stamped with register numbers starting with 000001 and ending with 002405. Daisy records show that on December 8, 1952, No. 25 guns K004350 thru K005258 were produced. There is no indication in the production records of any pump guns being produced with numbers lower than K004350, but we have personally seen a lower register number, so they do exist..

The record keeping system was totally manual and hand written. There are obvious errors indicated in the log, but we do not know whether these are machine or transcription errors. For example, the No. 142 was another large frame gun in production when the register number system was first installed. Production on February 10, 1953 was noted to start with K049557 and end with K043350 which indicated a negative production for the day. There is a note for that day that simply says, Defective Register No.

Register numbers started with 000001 and ran to 999999 and the next letter in the alphabet would begin the next register number A000001 (for small frame guns). There was never a 1,000,000 register number.

This register number system continued until an October 26, 1972 memo from Thomas Cisar to All Supervisors defined a new date coded register number system. Effective November 1, 1972, we will begin date coding the Register Number so that the month and year of manufacture will be readily recognizable to anyone knowing the code. The code to be followed is as follows: The first position will be a letter and will indicate the month. The second position will be a number and will indicate the year. The remaining five positions will simply be a consecutive numbering system that starts over again at -00001 on the first of each month and whenever a different model is run in that particular press during any one month. For instance, A300001 would indicate the first gun produced in January, 1973, of that particular model. B300001 would be the first gun of that model produced in February of 1973. The following month code will be applicable:

A January

B February

C March

D April

E May

F June

G July

H August

I Not to be used

J September

K October

L November

M December

Hence, starting in November, 1972, all guns produced in November will be coded L2.

Whenever the same barrel is made on two runs within any one month, it will be necessary to reset the register at the next higher number where the previous run left off. That is, if 30,000 #102 barrels were made during the first week of a month, and subsequently, in the third or fourth week, we needed to run some more #102 barrels, we would reset the register at 30001 and continue.

The gun numbering system was revised circa January 1982 after the previous system had been in use for about 10 years, but no official memo could be found indicating exactly when the change was made. The number indicating the year was put in the first position in the Register number and the Month code in the second position. The nomenclature was also changed from Register Number to Lot Number at some point. The register number or lot number 3KXXXXX would have been made in October 1983.

Lot numbers began on some guns as early as April 1973, but the old Register Nos. continued on the 1938 Red Ryder into at least 1979.

It important that some degree of expertise be applied when decoding register numbers of guns that were made during approximately the 1960s to 1980s timeframe. For example, if you have a No. 25 that has a Register No. A3XXXXX, is that a January 1973 gun or is it one made in the mid-1960s? You can see that some knowledge about other variations of different guns through the years might be necessary to properly date a gun.

In 1988, Daisy used a special numbering system for their 50th Anniversary Red Ryders. These are simply stamped LOT NO. 88XXXXXX The date 88 is followed by a six-digit production code.

Another major change occurred in the 1990s. In a memo dated January 19,1994 from Joe Carr to Distribution a new system was defined for Date Codes on Products.

Beginning today, guns produced with sheet metal outer barrels will be date-coded with the following format:

0194___XXXXX.

The first four digits indicate that this product was produced in January 1994. The last five digits are stamped sequentially.

There are still some products, pistols for example, which are still stamped with the old format and as soon as we can work out the details, we will change them over also.

The new date code will be in the same location as the old lot number. (Note the mention of lot number).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shipping Carton Codes:

On December 13, 1972, Mr. Cisar also sent out a memo regarding the date coding of air rifle cartons:

SUBJECT: DATE CODING- INDIVIDUAL AIR RIFLE CARTONS

We have received alpha-numeric rubber stamps to be used in stamping the ends of our individual air rifle cartons, including the CO2 300 and 880 Multi-Stroke guns. Effective January 2, 1973, we will use a code indicating a letter for the month, a digit for the year, and two digits for the day of the month that the gun was packaged.

The following code will apply for the months: (same as the Oct 26, 1972 memo)

Examples: M221 This would be December, 1972, 21st day of the month

A302 This would be January, 1973, 2nd day of the month.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our special thanks to the following individuals, who at various times have provided information pertinent to this article:

- Joe Murfin, Vice President for Marketing, Daisy Outdoor Products and Chairman of the Board, Rogers Daisy Airgun Museum,

- Denise Johnson, Daisy Outdoor Products, Customer Service Manager, and

- Orin Ribar, Curator, Rogers Daisy Airgun Museum.

© 2006, Dave Albert and Gary Garber, all rights reserved.

Grant.

Keep On Plinking
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2018 at 12:17am
I'm familiar w/that document. It has been the only source of info outside using the Daisy Museum contact page for dating Daisy airguns. It's not complete and there are a few discrepancies w/the info, like whether the letter "I" was used  (it was, BTW, but only on a few models).
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2018 at 11:33pm

The following models have been documented as using, or not using “I”. New models will be added as they are identified:

“M” USED = “I” NOT USED

The following models have been documented as using “M”:

“I” IS USED ON THE FOLLOWING MODELS:

102-36

And TCH, thank you for posting the Daisy Gun Register and Lot Numbers document! I don’t recall seeing it here before.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic