Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Buy & Sell
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My wish list.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2011 at 4:54am
Try this
No 1938 Var1-Made about 1972 to about 1978.Looks just like the No 111 model 40 except,flat sided forearm,skinny forearm band,used lighter wood for stock and forearm,no Fred Harmon signature,phillips screw on top of stock,rest are straight screws,saddle ring holder does not go all the way thru,painted,Red Ryder logo on left side of stock
No 1938 Var2- Made about 1978-79.Same as var1 except the logo is on right side,uses all phillip screws,slot cut in top of barrel
Model 1938A Var 3 Made about 1979-80.Total redesigned rifle.No shot tube,loads thru trap door on side of barrel,safety added,rear and front site changed,plastic saddle ring holder,darker wood for stock and forearm
Model 1938AB not a var,just a repair of the model 1938A safety,after repair,stenciled model B
Model 1938B Var 4 made from about 1980 till today,the same as the the 1938 A but stamped model 1938B
stevec
oneandgone View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2011 at 12:12pm

That's what I'm talkin bout Steve! Everything you just wrote seems correct to me except I do have one question...Weren't the 1938 A-B's (reworked Model 1838 A) stenciled Model 1938 A-B, not just Model B? I've never seen one so I have no clue, just going off what I've read...

BB2U View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB2U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2011 at 3:17pm
Man, some good stuff here.  Steve... I have a RR, maufacture date of July 1973 (per Daisy).  Everything is just as you said for that year, Logo on Left side, light color wood, etc...  However, mine has phillips screw heads in the receiver instead of slotted.  I did buy it used, but have no reason to believe that these were replacements for the slotted screws (which I also thought it should have).  So, sent off an e-mail to the museum.  Heard back from Mr. Ribar.  Briefly, if I interpreted his e-mail correctly, Daisy started transitioning to the phillips head screws as early as 1973/1974 when they started using powered screw drivers.  So, I suspect most guns were put together with slotted during that time and it was the default, but I think it is possible to have an original 1973/1974 guns with phillips screws. One more thing about my 1973 RR.  The cocking lever has more designs on it than other RR's.  However, I recently saw a vintage Daisy ad for this gun and it had that cocking lever. Unfortunately, photo was not sharp enough to make out the screw heads.   I'm just learing about Red Ryders.  If I'm wrong here, feel free to correct me.Smile 
BB2U
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2011 at 3:24pm
Interesting. I put a lot of faith into what Orin has to say, he's been there over 50 years now and, as you mentioned, is the curator of the museum. In my opinion the man is a treasure, the info he provides is invaluable.

On a slightly related note... I was in the market for a Model 25 Centennial a little while back and had been keeping an eye out for the right one. What do you know but serial number 13 showed up for sale on an auction site. It was given to Orin by Daisy and came with paperwork related to him selling it. I figured if I was going to buy one that this was is the one to get, so I did. I've since spoken to Orin to confirm that it was in fact his. I was really excited, and still am to have the privelidge of owning it. I also bought a 100th Anniversary hinged wood bb box with bbs from the same seller. It may have belonged to Orin as well, but I forgot to ask the last time I spoke with him. Guess I'll find out another day.

I get to take a couple items off my original wish list today! Woot! I picked up a really nice cleaning kit that, a new in box and unopened Retro Red Ryder, and a new in box from 1936 bell target kit! 

The target is  by far my favorite of the 3 items seeing as how it's 75 years old and still new in the box, but at the same time I'm a little sad that it's brand new because I really wanna ring that bell! Guess I'll have to keep my eye out for a cheap used one to shoot at! When I was showing everything to my son, he's 8, his eyes lit up about that bell so I know he's dying to ring it too! 
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2011 at 3:04pm
So I have good news and bad news. First for the good...I got to take two more items off my list, I picked up both the 60th Anniversary Red Ryder and the Diamond Edition Red Ryder! Now for the bad...The bell target kit I bought is a repro that was advertised, perhaps unknowingly as nos. I'm trying to see if the seller will work something out, but haven't heard back yet. I'm pretty heartbroker about this one. Live and learn. I had no idea repro's were out there.

A note/query about the 1938 A-B.... There is a Model No 111 A-B on gbroker right now... It has the gold stenciling on the receiver like blue book describes to be on the 1938 A-B. Is this a totally different gun that you all are familiar with?
shane View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2011 at 9:31am
 well guys just like everyone who is a daisy fan there are a few tasty delicous smelling smoke daisy's that I would like to add to my stash too. But the one that I do not have as of yet that I want more than any of them is a good ole model 104 double  barrell. And of course the main reason I do not have it yet is because people want a arm and a leg for them. But one day YES one day.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2011 at 2:18pm
I know a fellow not far from me who contacted me via my wanted ad on craigslist about a Model 104 that he has. I guess it was his Dad's and he has since inherited it. He was just too emotionally attached to actually sell it to me though, didn't matter what I offered. Maybe one day he'll call me back, I'd love to have it!

Got my 125th Anniversary Red Ryder taken off my wish list today! Guess I should update it with some other things I'd like to have...

Anyone have any thoughts on that Model 111 A-B I asked about in my prior post on here? It sold for $225 and was new in box.
willielumplump View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2011 at 3:22pm
i was tempted to join in the bidding for that 111 A-B but it would just sit in the box; I have way too many 'just sitting in the box' and really need to begin cleaning out the basement stash.  My wife has been more than patient, but as that nursing home draws near....Confused have to start being practical.
Semper Fi
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2011 at 3:35am
bb2u-What I did is just a basic guid line.I have put the word out to find someone with an 1938 A-B to send me a picture but no luck so far.I think I saw one awhile back on the net and think it had model A-B stenciled on the side.Will keep looking.
oneandgone-Don't feel bad,awhile back me and a bunch of others brought the same target.Paid over 90.00 for it.Found out later it was a repro.Guy had a whole case of them and said they were NOS
Willi-Know what you mean plus the 111 just dosen't do anything for me,at least not at that price lol
Shane-Thats the way I feel,just ain't going to pay that kind of money
stevec
oldwizzer View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldwizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2011 at 6:16am
Daisy- It was not unusual for Daisy to switch to different parts especially screws during the later
manuf. run of a model and they sometimes also switched parts and screws etc. when something was sent back for repairs. This just makes collecting Daisy's a little more interesting but also causes some confusion and headaches, as we know so well! 

Ejwills. [Ed. ].
Ejwills
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic