Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy No. 660 Ricochet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snproducts@aol.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy No. 660 Ricochet
    Posted: October-12-2011 at 5:04am
Have a non popping and non ricochet model 660 toy gun. Just makes a thump sound but will cock.
I feel this is a perfect gun to disect but not sure how to remove forearm band to salvage it. Any thoughts ? I have never opened one up but will carefully reverse engineer. The band is my only block! Thanks........Joe
joey
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2011 at 5:37am
Hey Joe
Are you talking about the forearm,there should be a small screw you take out to take off the forearm.If it has a forearm band slide the band off towards the front then remove screw.
.If it dosen't pop,try putting a couple of drops of oil down the front of the barrel and let it sit for awhile with barrel pointing up, then try it a couple of times to get excess oil out.Might want to do it outside as not to get oil on anything
stevec
willielumplump View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2011 at 2:30pm
Coincidentally, about one week ago I purchased some old pamphlets and booklets from eBay, and among the stuff was an instruction sheet for the Daisy Air Rifle SADDLE GUN with RICOCHET SOUND.  It describes how the ricochet sound was made for the movies on one side, and on the other,  it reads; INSTRUCTIONS On BULLET WHINE ADJUSTMENT.  Thisw is what it says:

"The bullet whine is carefully adjusted at the factory to make the realistic sound of a bullet travelling through the air.  Hard usage may cause mechanism to get out of adjustment.  If that occurs: 1. Remove forearm band. Gently tap band toward muzzle with a wooden block.  2. Remove screw and forearm.  3. DO NOT TOUCH WIRE REED!  4. Carefully bend arm 'A' FORWARD OR BACKWARD until wire reed is in LIGHT but POSITIVE contact with toothed wheel.  5. Test-fire rifle and re-adjust before replacing forearm.  6. Re-assemble forearm and forearm band."

Apparantly the wire reed is atrtached to the broader metal arm that can be adjusted by moving it forward or backward so that the wire reed is in light contact with the toothed wheel that causes the wire reed to vibrate with the ricochet noise.  Good luck.
Semper Fi
snproducts@aol.com View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snproducts@aol.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2011 at 1:04am
Your inputs have solved the problems. I now have a working Ricochet and in some way, I like the toy better since I repaired it. Great site for info ! Thanks..........Joe
joey
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2011 at 8:00am
Hey Joe
Yeah,for some reason it feels  good to be able to repair one,REAL good when you don't have to buy parts lol
stevec
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2011 at 12:11pm
Glad that we have been able to assist you in the repair of your treasure; lots of gratification in being able to tinker with these marvels of engineering and have them working again.

While in here again, this is what the front side of the Instruction Sheet says about how movie studios make "TV Ricochet Bullet Whine" sounds:

Microphones are strung at 200 foot intervals up a hill.  Rifleman stands near No. 1 and fires in soft dirt.  Bullets (after hitting dirt) start turning over in air making whining sound as they pass each microphone.  "Bullet whine" sound is recorded then dubbed in on film showing men shooting.  Daisy's "97" duplicates real ricochet bullet sounds mechanically when gun is fired with or without BBs! 

The Daisy "97" alludes to the Daisy Model 97 Ricochet 850 shot rifle, which the instruction sheet describes as "Daisy Air Rifle Saddle Gun with Ricochet Sound," which was manufactured only during 1961; it is a rare model because with the Ricochet sound it did not go overly big with BB gunners.  I had owned 3 of them at one time or another and traded up and finally obtaining a pristine specimen.  Finding the Instruction Sheet was absolutly incredible, it is in perfect, outstanding condition.

Now for the Model 660 Toy Gun Ricochet; there are many variations of this gun but my favorite is my specimen with the Division Victor, Comptometer Corporation  markings, brown plastic stock, metal forearm, gold toned lever, bright aluminum trigger, no rear sight, riveted band front sight.  It is also described as a "Toy Gun, Pop - Smoke - Ricochet"  Mine does not smoke anymore, Surgeon General probably caught up with it.  All the variations seem to have the same patent numbers although they do differ in appearance and materials. (2,729,208 - 3,078,618) Two that are identical have Lot No 10-92, and they are a late model I think, because they are very light and plasticized, and have a red plastic plug in the muzzle.  The Division Victor is almost identical to the Model 97, and is as heavy, made from the same frame.
Semper Fi
dallasken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dallasken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2011 at 4:45pm
I was looking around the sites and came upon this one the other day. Talked to you before Willie. Enjoyed your report on the 97, I have a couple myself. First one I got a few years ago and had to figure out the "sound system" got it working though. Really good of you to take time to help guys out, you might not remember but you sent me a screw for the barrel on a 94 Winchester type about three years ago. The tube flew out the end of mine.......Have a great day Gents

Dallas Ken.......Dallas Oregon that is.
dallasken
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2011 at 2:34pm
LOL  Ken, I am having a great belly laugh remembering the flying shot tube; that also happened to me once with a recently arrived purchase, one of those gorgeous copper plated No 50s; loaded that baby up, cocked it and holy crap,  the shot tube took off like a spear gun!  But that wasn't the end of it; I re inserted the shot tube, cocked the gun, but the cocking lever jammed; i began unscrewing the shot tube and that treasonous, gorgeous gun went off and shot me in the meaty palm of my hand, hurt plenty heap, or heap plenty hurt.Confused
Semper Fi
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2011 at 3:37am
Hey Willie
Well don't leave us in a lurch.Did you fix the rifle LOL.The worse that I have happen was working on a rifle with it cocked and the lever open,fingers around the stock and hit the trigger by mistake and that lever came back on all four fingers,thought I broke a couple.Fingers were sore for a week lol
stevec
dallasken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dallasken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2011 at 4:56am
Oh man.........I forgot how good that felt when you pulled the trigger with the lever open. I had a Daisy Defender when I was a kid in the fifties, shot really hard and the lever closed hard on the ol fingers if you made that mistake. I have a couple in my collection now......but age  tought me to close the lever..........I worry now "too much age"will cause me to forget.
That shot tube thing was quite the deal, my son picked that gun up for me in Idaho (Buffalo Bill Scout) Brought it here on a visit and thought I was crazy for buying it anyway but when the tube flew out he knew for sure. Amazing how much that little screw did for it.

Have a great day Gents.
dallasken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic