Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dating a No 111 Model 40

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dating a No 111 Model 40
    Posted: January-30-2012 at 10:02pm

I would like to date a No 111 Model 40 -  Plymouth

Trigger and guard are cast iron, stamped Red Ryder in wooden stock.  I believe it is a 1946...

oneandgone View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 8:45am
If it has the blued barrel and forearm bands and a cast lever then you are correct.
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 10:05am
Might depend on the rear sight.If it had an adjustable rear sight it could be as early as 1942
stevec
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 5:44pm
Did they not use the copper bands in 42? I was under the impression that 40-42 all had them.
rdixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 6:36pm
It does have blued barrel and forearm band.  fixed rear sight, cast lever (not painted)

Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 7:03pm
Yes, appears to be a 46 to me. It has large top of stock screw as well which is indicative of a 46+ gun.

I double checked the notoriously incorrect blue book, and also double checked the Daisy-King site and you're right Steve. 1942 RR's have blued bands and an adjustable sight. I don't know how I missed that before. Looks like I have another gun I need to find...
rdixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 7:12pm
did you mean 42 had copper?  i think i read pre WWII had copper.  Also did they (pre WWII) have 'burned in' Red Ryder, not pressed in?
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 7:34pm
I thought the 42 had copper bands as well, but it looks like I was wrong and only 40-41 had them. I really can't tell much difference in the stock logo between my copper banded gun and my 46. They both have the logo pressed into the stock. I've been googling to find more pics of the stocks on copper banded guns and that appears to be the way they were. Seems odd to me since the Buzz B guns that were branded have a flat logo.
willielumplump View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 7:43pm
Another feature to check out is the shot tube; at the end with the thread that seats it over the air tube, there is a loading chute that the BBs follow to the loading point; the narrow channel (1940-1942) is indicative of the very early variations, and the wider loading chute (1947-1954) the latter versions.  This gem of information came from Gary Garber's outstanding book, "An Encyclopedia of Daisy Plymouth Guns," which sadly, is out of print. 
Additionally there was a brief time when the Red Ryder logo on the stock was silk-screened, estimated to be about 1000 of them, either in 1941 or 1942, because the machine that burned the logo into the stock had broke down.

When I acquire a new/used specimen, I always inspect the shot tube, checking for the BB retaining spring or the gap in the loading chute, or just to verify that the shot tube is not clogged, and that there is in fact, an air tube at the base of the muzzle.Wink
Semper Fi
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 8:04pm
Good point about the shot tube. I've heard of the silk screened version, but have only seen the one picture on the Daisy-King site. I've pretty well given up on getting one, I think even if one did come available it would quickly be out of my reach in price.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic