Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intro and question on 2202 magazine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoldsarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intro and question on 2202 magazine
    Posted: May-06-2012 at 11:46pm
Hi guys.  New here, and didn't see anywhere to introduce myself.  Retired Army, now 71, and been around guns all my life. 

May have a guy that will deal with me for a Daisy 2202 rifle, complete.  Never even knew Daisy had made any rifles except the .22 caseless, and regular air guns.  So want this one. 

It has a rotary magazine, but would like at least one extra.  Problem is finding one, then the problem is the price.  But seems like people are constantly talking about how the mazine was/is so similar to the Ruger 10/22 - however, I have never even seen one comment that anyone had actually tried using a 10/22 magazine in a Daisy.  Supposedly the Daisy magazine was copied from the Ruger.  So I'm thinking either one would work, or one could be modified to work. 

Anyone got any concrete info on this?  Thanks.
It ain't what your're told, it's what you know. - Granny Weatherwax
wetdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 11:42am
Hello and welcome oldsarge.
  My thoughts on the Ruger mag. being converted to fit the Daisy are that if it could be done someone would have done it by now. I haven't seen one yet. You are correct that the Daisy mags are hard to find and when found are expensive. I may be able to help you out with a Daisy mag. My E-mail is on my profile. Send me a note and I'll return my phone # so we can talk. 
theoldsarge View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoldsarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 9:49pm
Thanks.  I'll try to get up with you in a day or two. 

I've been doing a lot of searching on this, and all I get are the comments.  I feel sure someone, somewhere, sometime, has tried a Ruger magazine, but so far not got anyone to admit to it.  I know for a fact than if I can get a Ruger magazine, at a small enough price, I'm going to see what it will do.  Oh yes, I will be getting that rifle in about a week.  Tongue
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoldsarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2012 at 2:49am
Wetdog, thanks but I won't be e-mailing you.  Turns out I just got a second 2202 Daisy, complete with magazine, for $40.  So I should be fine with two magazines.  Appreciate it, but maybe you can pass it along to someone that needs it more than me.  If I can get ahold of a low-priced 10/22 magazine, then get it to work in a 2202, I'll let you all know.
wetdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2012 at 3:04pm
OK oldsarge. Great find on the second 2202. I'll be looking to see if you get the 10/22 mag to fit. Hope all goes well.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoldsarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 11:31pm
Picked up one 2202 on Mon, and the other today.  The one on Mon is missing the rear sight, and the butt plate.  Cost, $40, some time, and 2-3 gallons of gas.
The one today is missing the trigger group detente pin, spring, and clip; have a lead where I can get all three.  Then just have to figure how to put them in, probably just take the buttstock off, no biggie.  Cost, $39, $30 shipping - which included a very nice hard case that wasn't mentioned before, and $20 for my FFL guy.  $89 in hand.  So total for the two, $129, in hand, plus the gas.  You just have to have patience, and keep looking.   
Both have magazines, and the actions/bolts just as they are supposed to.  Oh yes, both in very nice condition, with the exception of a bit of paint off here and there, I'm thinking the best repair for that is a black magic marker.  I'll be trying that as soon as I find my marker.  Strange, both stocks are plastic, but one is woodish colored, and the other is black. 

My son gave me a lead on some Ruger magazines, for around $4-5 each.  I hope to have one in a few days, then I'll see if I can get it to fit - and work.  Will keep you advised.
wetdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 4:42pm
The rear sight and buttplate will be hard to find. There are 3 parts to the buttplate. The buttplate itself which is adjustable, the release button and the spring.
  The 2202 was made in 3 versions of which you have 2. The brown and black plastic stock with adjustable buttplate and a wood stock , non adjustable. The wood stock model is called 2212, although it is marked 2202 on the receiver.
   There were also a single shot bolt action (2201) and a semi-auto (2203) made.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoldsarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by wetdog wetdog wrote:

The rear sight and buttplate will be hard to find. There are 3 parts to the buttplate. The buttplate itself which is adjustable, the release button and the spring.
  The 2202 was made in 3 versions of which you have 2. The brown and black plastic stock with adjustable buttplate and a wood stock , non adjustable. The wood stock model is called 2212, although it is marked 2202 on the receiver.
   There were also a single shot bolt action (2201) and a semi-auto (2203) made.

Man, that sucks.  Had a complete reply, then punched the wrong button and it all went poof; now have to start over.  Bah.  Humbug.  Cry

Rear sight, and buttplate, no prob.  Will keep an eye out for a sight that will fit, Daisy or not, but will probably scope it.  Buttplate, no prob because I like the trigger pull length as is, so will probably just make a leather lace on boot for it.  Got the trigger group detant pin, detant clip, and spring, today, for $10.25 in hand; which is vastly paying for the clip and spring, but they are made for it, so that takes a load of worrying about finding those those to fit, so well worth the cost.

No, both of mine have the adjustable buttplates, and both are plastic stocks.  The one was listed as having a wood stock, but it's only woodgrained plastic.  So both are 2202 models.  Hey, at $139 for the two, including a very nice hard case with the parts rifle that wasn't previously mentioned, I'm happy.  I could probably even sell one and make a $ or 2, undecided about that tho.  They're both in good condition, and the actions are nice and smooth, in fact, smoother then a number of brand new guns I've looked at.

Still looking for a low priced 10/22 magazine.  My son led me to some for $4-5 each, but they were on-line, and postage would have priced them at way more than I wanted to pay for something I might ruin.  There are some new gunshops in my area now, so I'll try to stop in to one or two soon. 

Yeah, I've been looking, and if I can find one at $100, or less, in-hand, I may get one, otherwise I'll pass. 
wetdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2012 at 10:06am

Good to hear things are going well with the 2202's. I think they are really good rifles. Good find on the parts that you found,too.

I took one of my Daisy mags to a gun shop on Thurs.to compare it to the 10/22 mag. What I noticed was the 10/22 was a good 1/8 inch longer than the Daisy, plus a protrusion out of the back in the center(possibly the assembly screw). The 10/22 mag. has a metal insert on top that has the feed lips which will outlast the Daisy mag.The follower also looks stronger. They didn't have a rifle there so I wasn't able to see how the 10/22 mag locked in.But after seeing an indentation on the back of the 10/22 mag.it seemed to me to present another setback. I'm looking forward to see how you make out. By the way, the price on the 10/22 mag was $17.95 new in factory packaging.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoldsarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 12:38pm
Found this on GunBroker.  Apparently a complete Daisy 2203, with magazine, less stock.  Project gun.  I'm not into project guns anymore, so passing this along.  At the starting price, with no bids, yet, you'd pay about that much for just a magazine.  http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=290071642  I was very, very, tempted to bid, but decided to pass. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic