Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Buy & Sell
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red Ryder Model 1938A-B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Ryder Model 1938A-B
    Posted: December-30-2012 at 4:51pm
Wow, I finally was able to obtain a Operating Manual for the Red Ryder 1938A-B; it was on GunBroker, seller from Canada; what surprised me was that there are other models designated with the A-B classification: 105; 111; 95; and 99.  However, what is curious, is that the U. S. Consumer Safety Commission's news letter of April 2, 1979 (link furnished below) did not mention the Models 95 and 99.Confused

They have to be RARE; Daisy voluntarily recalled these items because of some kind of safety defect with the cross block safety device,, but it was illegal for distributors to sell them without sending them back to the factory for rework.  I found a U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission news release dated April 2, 1979, check it out at
Try this link:                                  http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/1979/Daisy-BB-Guns-Recalled/

rel="nofollow">http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml79/79014.html

The significance of this recall is that only 19,100 BB guns were produced on the production runs of the various models; these were initially designated Model xxxxA; after the recall and rework, they were then designated xxxxA-B; which makes them RARE. 

Has anyone seen a Model xxxxA ? And to continue on that vein, how about Model xxxxA-B?  I have been haunting the auction sites for almost 4 years, and have only seen 3 A-Bs, 2 of which were Red Ryder 1938A, which is stamped on the receiver; and          the other a Model 111A-B.

I was able to acquire a brand new, in the box specimen of the 1938 A-B,thanks to an heads up by stevec, who had won over a bid for a used specimen; these guns have a gold silk screen annotation of their new designation on the receivers of the affected guns, and that is what makes them unique in my opinion, but anyway the owner's manual was MIA.  I did see a 111 A-B up for auction but it closed just as I was going to bid; I had delayed my bid because I thought it was a bogus specimen, had not yet seen the Conumer Protection news release;  big disappointment, because it went for small money.

It pays off to do due dilligence researcH, but other than Gary Garber's brilliant book, "An Encyclopedia of DAISY Plymouth Guns," which is now out of print, there is nothing out there that I know of that one can use; the "Blue Book  of Airguns" does not include the oddities of Daisy production runs, and also I have noted several errors in it.  Too bad they do not have someone dedicated to the Daisy line for editing purposes.
Does anyone have any other information on these A-B designations?

NOTE;   I think I forgot to mention that Model 1938A is stamped into the top of the receiver; after the rework, they were silk screened with gold lettering Model A-B on the right side of the receiver.
Semper Fi
willielumplump View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 3:53pm
Yesterday I finally received the A-B Owner's Manual, and another one entirely in French; came to me from Canada.  Both are in like new condition, usually there is rust on the staples or rips and tears.

So far I have not received any response to my inquiry concerning does anyone have one of thse A-B designated Daisys or heard or know anything about them.

Speak up, Lads.Disapprove
Semper Fi
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2014 at 6:35pm
I have just acquired my second Daisy Model 1938A-B from Gun Broker; no one else bid on it, essentially because it is missing the loading door, rear sight, and saddle ring w/cleat; and the wood stock and forearm have some scarring issues, but in actuality, all of which is easily remedied. The receiver is stamped "Model 1938A" and additionally, "Model 1938 A-B" is silk screened in gold lettering on the right side of the receiver.

It is no hyperbole stating that this variation of the Red Ryder Carbine is absolutely rare. The link in my original message referring to the Government recall seems to have lapsed, I will have to research that because I want to again reference it for your information.

I am having it drop shipped to Dennis Baker of Baker Airguns * Airgun Repair, located in Mt Victory, OH, who has been my mainstay air gun repair gahrue since 2009.

This specimen is well worth restoring; it definitely has a history; this one was well used for sure. I really enjoy restoring these old icons of American air gun history. I seldom reap any financial rewards, but I enjoy the feeling of salvaging these truly American specimens.

I believe the following link will get you to the Consumer Products Safety Commission ltr outlining the recall:
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/1979/Daisy-BB-Guns-Recalled/

28 March 2015 Dennis Baker restored my much used Daisy Red Ryder Model 1938A-B in fine order, got it back last week and am delighted with what he accomplished.
Semper Fi
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2015 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by willielumplump willielumplump wrote:

Yesterday I finally received the A-B Owner's Manual, and another one entirely in French; came to me from Canada.  Both are in like new condition, usually there is rust on the staples or rips and tears.

So far I have not received any response to my inquiry concerning does anyone have one of thse A-B designated Daisys or heard or know anything about them.

Speak up, Lads.Disapprove

Greetings Daisy BB air gun fans: It has been three years since I posted the discovery of the Daisy Model 1938A, which was recalled for rework, then gold silk screened as Model A-B.

In all this time, apparently no one has come across this specimen. I know that STEVEC purchased a barrel and receiver assembly on eBay and restored it to working order. Let's here it, lads, anyone out there, has anyone seen or acquired one of these specimens? Or any other model with A-B designation?
Semper Fi
klarson1033 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klarson1033 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 9:56am
Hello~
So I posted a message and then deleted it and I'm reposting I guess because I'm curious.  My friend gave me his old Daisy for my son.  I looked it up and saw the recall info from 1979.  It is stamped on top as a Model 105A and gold painted on the side as Model 105 A-B.  It is a plain Daisy, does not say Red Ryder.  I'm guessing this is the one after the recall and should be safe to use for my son?
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 7:59pm
What you have there is an extremely rare specimen, and you might consider making it a wall hanger so as to preserve it; and yes, it is safe to use.
Semper Fi
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2015 at 8:20pm
I second Willie. That gun is not a shooter. It is too dear. There are 1000's of vintage BB guns to be had for your son to shoot, if a vintage gun is what you want for him. (that's what I would want, for what it's worth) I'd get a nice D 99 for $75 and put your rare collectible away for your retirement fund. Smile
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 12:30pm
I originally addressed this subject December 31, 2012, but have seen some inquiries lately about the 1979 recall of the "A" series production run that morphed into the "A-B" series, until the reworked items were finished and production resumed on Daisy's next iteration, the "B" series.

Hope this is helpful.
Semper Fi
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 1:53pm
On a different note, I recently acquired a Model 111A-B, great condition, AND AM WONDERING WHY THERE IS NOT SOME INTENSE INTEREST IN THE Daisy A-B series which is an unplanned extremely rarity.

Semper Fi
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2016 at 1:37pm
That's an interesting point. Just what is it that piques interest in certain collectable items and not in others. 
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic