Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bayonet for Model 40

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bayonet for Model 40
    Posted: March-17-2014 at 8:00pm
Anyone on here ever hear of a "hook hanger" bayonet for the D model 40?
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
Iceman View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2014 at 9:31pm
When I first started collecting Daisy guns, I bought a Model 40 with an "original" bayonet and sling. The seller did not disclose that the bayonet was a reproduction (a good one) and I believe I paid a price for the real deal. After that expensive lesson, I educated myself on bayonets for the Model 40. I certainly know an original one from a reproduction now. However, in all my research, I never came across a "hook Hanger" bayonet. I believe that Daisy only made one style bayonet for the Model 40.    
Moodifier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moodifier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2014 at 7:20am
I WAS TOLD YEARS AGO A "HOOK HANGER" BAYONET WAS REMOVED FROM THE BB GUN BY REQUEST
OF THE BUYER.  IT WOULD THEN BE PUT ON A HOOK IN THE HARDWARE STORE FOR SAFE KEEPING.
I'M GUESSING EVEN IN THE EARLY DAYS MOMS HAD GOOD COMMON SENSE.
Bugger 'em if they can't take a joke.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2014 at 5:28pm
Thanks Moodifier. I had heard that there might be mint Model 40 bayonets without guns out there that had been taken off at point of sale and then sat around hardware stores for years. Thought that "hook hangers" might be an urban legend. Wouldn't mind finding one or two of these in some estate sale of an old shop owner or at the local flea market in a junk box!
davidh5000 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidh5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2014 at 1:17am
The only variances I have ever seen in the model 40 bayonets is the rubber tip. Some are slightly more mushroomed than others, and just a little thicker. It probably has more to do with age and how they were used than anything else. I'd be afraid to by a bayonet without looking it over first anymore, there are so many fakes out there. It would be nice if somebody would write something on how to tell a fake from an original.
I'm not buying anymore BB Guns.

I'm not buying any less either.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2014 at 6:23pm
A "hook hanger" is not a variant. It is just a bayonet that Mom didn't want junior to have and the shop owner couldn't, in good conscience, throw away....so it hung on a hook somewhere for years.  Never played with.....perfect bluing.....100%. Sort of a holy grail of a find. I had heard that this was not a particularly rare occurrence. Wonder how many got thrown out when a store changed hands. 
Moodifier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moodifier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2014 at 3:00pm
I WAS LUCKY TO FIND ONE OF THESE "HANGERS" SOME YEARS BACK.
NOTHING MARK WISE TO INDICATE ANY PLAYTIME, OR USAGE.
RUBBER TIP IS VERY CLEAN, NO DEFORMITY.  RECEIVED IT WITH A 90%er MODEL 40.
WAS TOLD THE GUN CAME FROM FRED HARMONS ESTATE.
NICEST ONE I HAVE.
WAS ALSO TOLD WHEN YOU SEE A FAKE BAYONET, YOU'LL KNOW INSTANTLY.
THE EXAMPLES MY FRIEND HAS SEEN ARE EASILY DETECTED BY WORKMANSHIP ALONE.

daisy addiction View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daisy addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2014 at 11:42am
 Theres one on Ebay right now,real or fake. Looks real to me ,but I am no expert.
davidh5000 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidh5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2014 at 8:08am
By the ones I have handled,the one on Ebay looks genuine. Without actually holding it in your hands, it is really hard to tell though. I wish I knew how to post pictures. I have one that I know to be genuine, as I bought it from the family of the original owner.
I'm not buying anymore BB Guns.

I'm not buying any less either.
Iceman View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2014 at 10:01am
I have an original and the one on Ebay now appears to me to be an original.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic