Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No 25 Seals/Washers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddybush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No 25 Seals/Washers
    Posted: October-17-2014 at 6:02pm
Hey all.  I'm replacing the LEATHER SEAL at the end of the plunger assembly and the LEATHER ABUTMENT WASHER IN THE BARREL of my Father's 1936 Daisy No 25 rifle.  The diameter of the barrel is just short of 7/8"  I ordered at set from Brian but I don't believe they are the correct size the OD IS 1" AND ID IS 3/16".  The washer and seal I removed were barrel diameter but with many years of use and wear I don't know what the actual size should be.  The seal on the end of the plunger was flat but worn.  I can see how the abutment washer could be flattened in the barrel against the stop but the seal at the end of the plunger does it bend in the direction of either cocking or firing?                                                                   TY
Fred
freddybush View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddybush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 6:06pm
SORRY,  It's a Variant 6 I believe.
Fred
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2014 at 8:48am
I've had to take a dremmel sanding tool, and very lightly take a little off the OD of the plunger seal to get a good fit. They will swell a little after oiling, and get a nice tight seal. Remember, just a few thousands at a time, and test fit it in the barrel. I've re-sealed a few of them, and the old ones with good springs really hit hard afterwards.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddybush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2014 at 2:24pm
How much wider should the seal on the end of plunger be than the inside of barrel? Also is 3/16" diameter ok for the abutment washer for air to go into the shot tube.
Fred
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2014 at 6:56pm
3/16" hole is what I have on my spare seals (this is the hole the air tube goes through). The plunger seal is 3/4" (give or take, it's leather). All I do is dremmel a slight amount off the OD and test fit it in the barrel, you want a nice snug fit, when you oil the gun the seal will swell and break itself in to the barrel.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddybush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 1:30pm
Thank you, I have replaced the seals and washer but the gun will only shoot about 15' Could the plunger spring be shot?  When you shoot the gun it feels like plenty of air coming out the barrel but the bb doesn't go anywhere.
Fred
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 3:47pm
It should shoot more than 15', are you sure the air tube is not broken? the gun uses air, and the force of the tube smacking the BB to propel it. If all of that is in tact, the spring may be weak, but I never seen them that weak.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddybush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 5:17pm
The air tube being the barrel? The gun is a Variant 6, 1936. Seal at end of plunger assembly and washer that separates shot tube from plunger. Could the seam of barrel be leaking and not holding air?
Fred
39hunter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 39hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 5:43pm
Assuming that the seals are installed properly. First check your shot tube to see if it is clean and clear. Then check your air tube.  Make sure it is clear, you can run a wire through it or use pipe cleaner.  It is located at the head of your plunger assembly.  Notice right in front of your plunger seal, the air tube connects to the plunger head and has a hole right at its base.  The air tube is hollow and when the gun is fired, the plunger is actually the head of the air pump, air is compressed in the air chamber and forced  through the air tube, which in turn propels the BB out the shot tube. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic