Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No 25 Shoots to the left

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcheyney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No 25 Shoots to the left
    Posted: December-26-2016 at 3:30pm
I recently bought a Daisy No. 25, which I believe was built in 1973.  The gun seems to be in very good shape with very little wear and all the parts intact.  I gave it a good oiling before I took it out to the backyard for the first range session.

After trying to sight it in I have the rear sight all the way to the right and the guns still shoots to the left.  At 10 yards the group is about 2.5 inches to the left.  I loosened the take down screw slightly and that seemed to help.  I tried it from a rest, from prone, and several different kinds of grips.  Nothing seemed to make a difference.  Regardless of what I do it's pretty consistent.  Are there any thoughts on how to correct this?  I know I can always hold off to the side, but I'd rather it work the way it's supposed to. 

So far the only ammo I have tried are Umarex steel BB's.  I am assuming that since copper and steel weight the same they would react the same. 

The gun is a lot of fun to shoot, but it would be more fun if it shot to something like the point of aim I want it to.  I am just not sure what to realistically expect from this kind of gun.

John Cheyney MS, RN
KF5PFP
Irving, Texas
John in N.B. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John in N.B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2016 at 3:56pm
I'm guessing the shot tube is bent, that's assuming it gets screwed in flush to the same position each time. (bending or warping can happen easily enough). Unscrew it and look down the length of it. It should almost be obvious with the shots you're describing. Use a piece of pine (or something soft) to rest it on with the bend facing upwards and apply down pressure (not a lot) to the tube bend checking occasionally. Hope this helps.
BurghDude View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurghDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2016 at 5:10pm
I agree that gentle bending is a good way to fix the problem.  But if you're not inclined to try to bend the tubes (and I know I was hesitant to myself), here's another option to make shooting more fun.  Basically, figure out how much to back out (unscrew) the shot tube from fully seated to get the shot in line, and only screw it in that much.  So if it shoots left fully seated, I'd unscrew the tube a quarter turn and see if it puts the pellets above the sight.  A little experimentation should get the pellets there.  Of course at that point the gun will still shoot low or high, but at least left and right is sorted out.  

I then use clear tape on the face of the shot tube, and a dot of gold magic marker to mark the 'top' for when the tube shoots straight. If the tube unscrews itself while shooting, I put another piece on the lip of the shot tube that goes into the barrel last as a tightening shim.  This approach has made a couple of 25's from different eras much more fun to shoot.  And as a bonus, once you have a shot tube indexed like that, you can move it from 25 to 25, and it'll shoot pretty much the same!

Ultimately, I wound up buying a new 25 tube from Daisy, indexed it, and use that tube any time I shoot a 25.  I figure it prevents damage to the old tubes, and it saves me from having to hunt for lead bbs for the really old ones ;) .  

Hope this helps!

Vince

Redleg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2016 at 5:30pm
I have a model 25 which was shooting to the right side.  After adjusting the rear sight, I had the same
issue you described except to the right.  In my case, it turned out that the front sight was bent and
caused the problem.

So I bent the front sight to the right (as it turns out past center) and it corrected the problem.  I never
shoot past 15 yards or so but to that distance, the problem is cured.

Hope this helps. 
Model 25
Model 880
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic