Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model 74 Semi Auto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 4:15pm
Warmer is better for these Co2 guns for sure, the 74 drops to the power of a 179 when it's cold, but then again I have an old Daisy 179 pistol (no safety) that shoots really hard, probably over 200FPS. I've made 40 ft. shots on cans with the thing. The little 179 is a great indoor, quiet shooter alsoSmile
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 6:43pm
I like the look of the 179 but I am a big fan of the Cr/Hahn peacemakers. They feel like a gun. For indoor pistol shooting I go with the Daisy targeteer. Talk about a weak shooter. But I really like to hear that bell target ring. Cocking the targeteer is ten times louder than shooting it. :) 
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2017 at 9:20pm
OK I got the 74 a couple days ago. I shot it into a box in my man cave. I could not resist, but it's 20 degrees up here now and I live in a small apt. The trigger pull is way less than other Co2 semi autos but it shoots way slower as well. Makes sense. That's cool with me. More shots per cart. The front end is alot like an 880 of 1990. No fiber optics and a fully adjustable rear sight.....just like the one on an 880. It is a gun made for a 12 year old child....like a Red Ryder was. Lots of plastic and a short trigger pull.  Would be a very good trainer for a son or daughter. That said, I like it. I cant wait till spring to shoot it for real. I have hopes for accuracy due to it's low fps. BB guns dont get more accurate as the fps climbs. Hence the 499's max of 240 fps. Thanx for turning me onto the 74. I'll let you know what happens in a couple months. SmileCry
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2017 at 4:38pm
One thing I noticed as well on this one as the temp climbs, it start shooting harder for sure, at 75°F mine seems to hit as hard as some of my older model 25's at around 60°F things slow down dramatically. It'll give off a little puff of vapor when it's at optimal temp. Mine is still going strong after 4000 shots. I peeked inside it and the set-up is pretty strange, there is a spring on the barrel and I think the barrel actually cycles the valve?
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2017 at 6:05pm
A la D 1200 pistol?? That is how the pistol works. The barrel acts as the hammer! It's real simple inside a D 1200 and that is a very accurate BB pistol. You wouldn't think it considering the barrel is moving around in there but it is. Sounds like they may have reprieved that design for the 74 rifle. Now you have piqued my curiosity. I'm going to have to open up mine and see what's what. 
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2017 at 8:42pm
Be careful. it looked like a lot of teeny weeny pieces in there. Between my Daisy 74 and Crosman 1077, these guns drink pellets and bb's. You won't have an unshot, blasted aluminum can in the house! I haven't pumped up a pneumatic in a couple of weeks since I had these. I put the Daisy in a warmer room in the house before I shoot it and it's been shooting pretty flat at 35ft. These guns will make you a little lazySmile

photo DAISCROS_zps8wm1yxjw.jpg
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2017 at 7:43pm
Did anythig go "sproing" when you opened up the 74? If no surprises await me, I'll have a look anyway.
A friend tells me that Cr is coming out with a PCP version of the 1077. Benjamin Wildcat. I have not gone over to PCP yet. Cant see all that pumping. Air tanks and other related stuff seem like a big investment in a totally different and new side of airguns. 
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2017 at 2:51pm
I have one coming. Looking forward to it.
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2017 at 5:22pm
Nothing popped out, just be careful. I seen that Wildfire, I have a Discovery .177 and it is very accurate, pumping is a little work, I just never shoot it down below 1000psi. I think that gun will bulk fill with C02 as well which is really easy with the paint ball bottle and tether. The little Daisy is so efficient with C02 it doesn't really matter, but eventually I would like to hook that up to a bottle as well. PCP is a nice option and the prices are starting to come down, they're a lot of fun.
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2017 at 5:23pm
Have a lot of cans/targets and a few thousand bb's, you'll be doing a lot of shootingLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
  Share Topic