Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model 74 Semi Auto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 22>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2017 at 8:11pm
I already have a tank and tether. Needed it to fill a Chinese AK lookalike that is a bulk fill Co2. The QB-1. Nice solid little carbine. 
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2017 at 9:07pm
Those look nice. I need to find a lower grade pellet to shoot in the 1077, I can go through 500 shots before I know it with that one. Another nice thing about the Daisy is, I reclaim bb's and re-shoot them, makes for really cheap shooting. Not sure if there will be parts available for this gun if needed at that price point, but then again I just ordered a couple of parts for an old Daisy 105 and they had them no problem. Nice little touch Daisy has with their service is the send you a diagram and an old school order form if you need it, that's classicStar
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 7:31pm
They don't get much cheaper than Daisy pellets off PA 4 for the price of three. I am sad to see that they don't offer Daisy .22 wad cutters anymore. Does anyone know if Daisy still makes them? They were on the low end of quality but still pretty accurate for 20 yard plinking fun and very good value. Very soft but hardly any were malformed. Last time I bought them from PA they were $3 a can so 4 cans (1000) for $9. They still offer the pointed pellets but those are nowhere near as accurate, in my guns. Guess I'll try Gamo Match Wadcutters. Not bad at $4 a can......1000 for $12. 
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 4:06pm
The 74 arrived today. I have to agree w/everyone- lots of fun! Mine chronos around 250-260 fps, so on par w/a new Daisy Red Ryder. It's reasonably accurate, too. I like that the rear sight is adjustable for windage.

Loading the BB mag from the reservoir isn't going too well for me. How do ya'll do it? I've been turning it upside down, hold it about level and jiggling it, but getting it to fill all the way can take some doing.

Question for those who know co2 and PCP guns- is the trigger pull/feel of the Wildfire going to be something like the 74?
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 7:46pm
Cobalt,

I don't completely fill up the reservoir tight, leave a little empty space. I turn the gun upside down about eye level and tilt it back and forth, similar to paddling a kayak takes a few motions and the mag is full. The trigger on the Wildfire is similar to my 1077's, it uses the same mag it's basically a double action revolver. The triggers on these guns take some getting used to.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 10:02pm
In most cheap Co2 semi auto shooters, you are basically cocking the gun with your trigger pull. Definitely not a target competition situation......but a fun plinking situation. Some have a ridiculously hard trigger pull. A la the Daisy 15X pistol...... 12lb pull? The 74 is on the low end of that. Freebird is right. The mag fills easier if there is a lot of room in the resivior for BB's to jostle about as they pass over the little round loading port in there. It's all about gravity and opportunity. In other words, if the resivior is really full, the BB's actually get in each other's way and block the little round port. 
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 12:28pm
OK I took out the 74 and shot it over a chroney today. It's about 45 out and very sunny. I warmed the gun up over a radiator for a couple minutes. I took a 5 shot string and it shot a low of 242 to a high of 249 fps. I waited about a half a minute between shots. Because the gun is all black it stayed warm in the sunshine. The last shot came in at 247. Between Cobalt and me, I'd say that's about what to expect. Should get over 100 good shots out of a Co2 cart. No chance to really test for accuracy up here till it gets warmer. I have no opportunity to shoot indoors here. Not concerned about the gun. It's a perfect indoor shooter.....slow and quiet. I only have about 15' of shooting space and every BB gun should do well at that. I want to see what this does at 10 meters. 
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 4:46pm
I shoot mine indoors at about 35ft. it will do a consistent 2.5 in circle. 249 fps is not bad for this little gun, mine seems to have slowed down since it got cooler here, it was cleanly penetrating cans with a good exit hole, it no longer does that. I think the key to making it more accurate is stabilizing the barrel in the shroud, mine is still moving around a little too much. I took it out in my yard and could  hit cans at 65ft about 7 out of 10 times. One nice thing, they have a one year warranty. you could shoot a lot of bb's in a year.Smile   UPDATE: I warmed the gun up to about 78°F and it will shoot through the bottom of a can at 35ft., I'm sure this gun will get faster in the summer. This is about on par with my older model 25's I don't have a crony, but when it's warm it's doing pretty good for a bb gun.

photo CANPEN_zpscmttkseu.jpg
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2017 at 4:45am
FWIW it's been unseasonably warm here in north GA, mid-70s on the day I chrono'ed mine.
Something is up w/mine, though. The last co2 powerlet I changed to is giving low velocities, and they're also very scattered- between 150 and none over 200 fps. Has me worried. I use Pellgun oil on the tips of the powerlets so don't know what is going on. I'll put in a fresh one and clean the barrel and see what that does. Any other ideas?
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2017 at 5:58am
I noticed sometimes the co2 does not get pierced as much as others, I backed mine a 1/2 turn and re snugged it and it seemed to make a bigger hole. The last powerful shot I had was from taking the co2 from a warmer spot before I installed it. It's going through cans now. You also may want to back off to every other co2 on the pelgunoil, Daisy states no oiling is needed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 22>
  Share Topic