Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model 74 Semi Auto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 19202122>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 7:04pm
OK so I haven't gotten up to VT yet so my nephew has not gotten it yet.......and now he wont. I found a fun use for the 74. It makes a great bug buster. I can take carpenter bees out of the air with it by instinct shooting it and walking the bb's to the bee as it hovers. Works great as the 74 loses very little power when you shoot it fast. Karen likes to play with it too so I bought her one as well. Went from frustration to buying a shooting pair. Quite a surprise to me. Interestingly, the second one came today and it has no serial #. It also shoots way more accurate, out of the box. No tape mod needed. I have not had it apart yet but it looks like the end of the shot tube or the front sight insert is different than the original one I got a couple months ago. I'll pull it apart this weekend and see if it has been improved. Now the two of us can sit in our lawn chairs and splatter carpenter bees together. Tongue
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 11:06pm
Picked up one of these at an auction this week. It looked to be in nearly new condition. When I got it home it still had a charged CO2 cartridge in it. Shoots great. No powerhouse but ran about 60 rounds through it and still has CO2! This is going to be a lot of fun.
Gary
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2017 at 10:45pm
They are a lotta fun, for sure!
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 9:52am
Thanks for everyone here who 'promoted' it. I doubt I ever would have tried one without the recommendations.
Gary

FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 10:37am
Now that it is hot outside mine is shooting very well with the valve mod. 60-70ft. stuff is no problem.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 10:50am
I need to toss a fresh cartridge into mine and get in some fun trigger time, too! Recently I've been trying to deal w/a CMP Daisy 853 that is suffering from a low MV and high ES. Hopefully I got it fixed this time- it's like the 4th time dis- and re-assembling it w/various 'fixes' each time. I haven't tried it over the chrono after this latest round, mostly because if it's still sick I really don't want to know about it- at least not until I have a little break from working on it!
BurghDude View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurghDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 11:47am
I know this is a moldy old thread, but it is kind of new to me as the proud owner of one of Cobalt's 74s.  I have to say, "I get it". :)  This is a really fun little gun!  

But I'd feel I wasn't being a good board member if I didn't share what is still my favorite plinking bb gun: The Crosman 73 Saddle Pal.  It is a like the Hahn Super / Crosman 166 discussed earlier in this thread, in that it is a finger action lever.  It has the same short lever stroke that the Hahn has.  But where the Hahn was kind of a gas hog, my 73 has shot 100 bbs off 1 co2, starting over 500fps, ending in the low 400s.  And its accuracy easily rivals the D74.  For the cost of having a lever to cycle, you get a nicer trigger.  It is smallish, light, fast, easy, accurate, efficient, and fun.  

Of course it isn't nearly as easy to find, and it does cost more, given how long it has been out of production. But it is easy to work on, and parts are still available.  Oh, and you can shoot pellets with it too!  For anyone who likes the Hahn Super / Crosman 166, I'd heartily recommend checking out the 73. 

Have a good one!

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 1:38pm
Glad to hear you've received them. I'll definitely be checking out the C73! I recently downloaded the OM and EVP for it because another member at GTA had been talking favorably about it. And darned if PA hasn't put the semi auto Legends C96 CO2 BB Pistol on sale for half price! There's just no escaping!!
BurghDude View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurghDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 8:48pm
Oh, no... I can't go there. That's one of those"gateway" guns. First the gun. Then you buy extra magazines, and then how can you not get a repro wood stock / holster!?! :)
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 10:18pm
Heard that!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 19202122>
  Share Topic