Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy Powerline 880 wont build pressure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oklahomajones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy Powerline 880 wont build pressure
    Posted: January-26-2017 at 3:38am
I have my old Daisy Powerline 880 from the 80's that I got as a kid (metal receiver).  It will only pump up the pressure of one pump any additional pumps do not create more pressure.  I don't hear it leaking air and I can leave it for a long time and the same "one pump" worth of pressure will be in it.

I've broken the thing down a dozen times.  Everything looks nice and clean even the o-ring still look good but since they are very old I replaced them. 

It doesn't appear the air is leaking out the barrel or in that area, and the exhaust valve looked great so I didn't think it would be necessary to switch the valve out.

So far I have replaced the entire pump piston the o-ring on the chamber seal and properly oiled everything with Pellgun Oil.

I haven't replaced the big black seal for the pressure chamber.  The price on that tiny little thing is killing me. The thing is it doesn't look bad at all so I have been hesitant to spend the money for a new one. Even the new o-ring and pump piston didn't look any different than the ones I replaced them with.  

I could really use some advice to help me figure out why it wont build pressure.  I thought I would hear it leak air as I pumped additional times but I don't.

I did the pump handle test and it never sank back down so I know its not leaking a bunch of air. Because it gets the pressure of one single pump it will fire but the BB sure doesn't go far ha ha.

Any idea why the gun will hold the air of only one pump and not build up additional pressure?

Thanks!

Aaron
Oklahoma Jones

the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2017 at 6:33pm
Well I hate to say it but that big rubber thing that costs so much is your problem. It acts as a check valve in the 880. The can look fine but not hold the air in the valve anymore. You probably feel back pressure on the pump arm when you try to pump more air in. There should be no significant back pressure, if that big rubber thing is doing it's job. They now go for better than $20 for a piece of rubber!! I can remember, not long ago, buying 5 of them from Jim Coplen (rest his soul) for $5 a piece. Before you give it all up and buy one try this: take out the one you have a boil it in water for an hour or so. Let it rest for a day or two. Put it back in and see if it "remembered" it's original shape. I've never tried this but I have thought of trying it when I run out of new ones.....given that crazy cost. I have kept all the old ones I took out, just in case. :)
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
jimmie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 9:22pm
The way I fix the pressure chamber seal is to soak it over night in brake fluid , then clean it real good. Next coat the  pressure chamber seal with silicone grease then install and it will work like new again. Jim
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daisy-Powerline-880-881-Old-Style-Rebuild-Kit-Reseal-Seal-Gun-BB-Air-Rifle-Set-/151749918749?hash=item235500001d:g:zzkAAOSwHPlWcg80
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2017 at 3:19pm
Hey Jimmie, how did you settle on brake fluid?
jimmie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2017 at 6:51pm
It swells rubber a little and I usually do it for 24 hrs. then clean with paint thinner.  
oklahomajones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oklahomajones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 12:05pm
That is what I feared Fuse.  It's is the one thing I have left to try I think at this point.  (I didnt replace the Exhaust valve assembly but I just dont think that is it)

I have replaced all the orings and it looks clean no gunk or corrosion...the gun only pumps the pressure of one pump....I don't hear air leak when I put pressure on the handle and it bounces back from what little pressure that is there.  Every additional pump builds no new pressure. 

I was just trying to avoid spending $30 for some rubber...I dont need anything else but that little rubber cup.  

Aaron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oklahomajones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 12:07pm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAISY-MODEL-880-881-AND-SIMILAR-SEAL-KIT-DAI880SK1/162368841581

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daisy-Powerline-880-881-Old-Style-Rebuild-Kit-Reseal-Seal-Gun-BB-Air-Rifle-Set-/151749918749

For the price I think I might should go with the one that includes the exhaust valve just to have a backup or replace what I have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oklahomajones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by the fuse the fuse wrote:

Well I hate to say it but that big rubber thing that costs so much is your problem. It acts as a check valve in the 880. The can look fine but not hold the air in the valve anymore. You probably feel back pressure on the pump arm when you try to pump more air in. There should be no significant back pressure, if that big rubber thing is doing it's job. They now go for better than $20 for a piece of rubber!! I can remember, not long ago, buying 5 of them from Jim Coplen (rest his soul) for $5 a piece. Before you give it all up and buy one try this: take out the one you have a boil it in water for an hour or so. Let it rest for a day or two. Put it back in and see if it "remembered" it's original shape. I've never tried this but I have thought of trying it when I run out of new ones.....given that crazy cost. I have kept all the old ones I took out, just in case. :)
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Fuse before I buy anything I am going to try that method and see what happens.  I have nothing to lose and I too am curious to see if its possible to "revive" that little piece of rubber.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 4:18pm
Good luck and keep us posted. 
Air(gun)head View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air(gun)head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2021 at 12:31am
Go to an Ace hardware store, buy a #112 nitrile O-ring from bulk for $0.33. Or the plumbing department might have individually wrapped Danco #10 O-rings, $0.79.
Open your gun, remove the “Abutement” (looks like an aluminum plug) where the pressure-chamber seal is attached.
Insert that new o-ring into the groove on the chamber seal. It should fit nice and snug and flush. The spring that holds that chamber seal in place will now hold the o-ring tight into the seal.
This o-ring fix is a shim that broadens the chamber seal enough that air cannot escape back into the pump tube, and should fix your problem.
"The problem with communication is the assumption of it."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic