Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So what does it do?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daily shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So what does it do?
    Posted: May-01-2017 at 8:45am
On the model 1894, what is the function of the trigger locking bar?
It's that small flat piece that is attached to the lever group by the retaining
pin and then to the right side of the receiver by the thin, A shaped spring.
It may also be known as the safety bar and it is damn near impossible to get into
place on reassembly. Since the trigger will not fire unless the hammer is fully charged,
I don't understand how the trigger safety bar moves and what it actually does.
And then, is it necessary for the 1894 to function or is it a part designed by lawyers.
Appreciate the help.
Daily shooter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daily shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2017 at 9:03pm
Follow up: had it apart today to do some spring work and drill
Out the air tube to 3/32. Left out the part in question and it's spring.
Had no impact at all, cocks and fires as normal. Guess it had some safety
Function on half cock but who does that?
barryswanson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barryswanson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 7:48am
Can you please tell me more about drilling out the air tube? What does it do ?
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 12:11pm
I have done a little work on the Daisy lever action BB guns to improve the velocity and accuracy. In so doing, I found drilling the air tube to 3/32" ID along w/shimming the spring 1/2" to 5/8" increased MV more than 20%. On a new production Red Ryder as an example, the MV went from 270 fps to around 330 fps as measured on my chronograph. Others doing basically the same thing have seen even higher MVs.

What the results will be from only drilling the air tube w/o increasing spring preload I cannot say- but I'm also very curious to know what they will be!
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daily shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 10:34pm
Cobalt, thanks to your research and reporting, I've learned a lot about increasing MV in a Daisy.
Drilling the air tube on the 1894 gave me about 27 more fps. Earlier, on a 1938B 2000 edition I
Drilled the air tube and put a 1/2 inch spacer under the plunger spring
And achieved 327 fps. May have replaced that spring as well. Anyway, now I will change only one thing at a time then retest across my Chrony. The 1894 project continues.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daily shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 10:43pm
During my pre- Chrony days, I tested MV by holding a section of Bounty Paper a Towel across the muzzle. On an empty gun of coarse, I fired it pointing upward. If the air blast blew a hold through the paper towel. I had a hard hitting gun. The 1894 I'm working on now is not that powerful yet, and it is testing around 225 fps.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2017 at 3:42am
Sounds like you have some nice shooters! Hope the 1894 goes just as well. I'll keep an eye out for updates- good luck!
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2017 at 8:45pm

Originally posted by Daily shooter Daily shooter wrote:

Cobalt, thanks to your research and reporting, I've learned a lot about increasing MV in a Daisy.
Drilling the air tube on the 1894 gave me about 27 more fps. Earlier, on a 1938B 2000 edition I
Drilled the air tube and put a 1/2 inch spacer under the plunger spring
And achieved 327 fps. May have replaced that spring as well. Anyway, now I will change only one thing at a time then retest across my Chrony. The 1894 project continues.
Thanks for reporting your results; I've added them to my notes. 

I got to thinking (dangerous, I know...) and remembered taking a 2000 Millennium model 1938B apart. It has a seam in the shot tube that was so wide, light could be seen through the seam. I found it only because the gun shot so poorly- even after replacing the entire plunger assembly, spring and all it barely made 200 fps! The 2000 spring was similar to, but not identical to the earlier style spring, having open, un ground ends and a pound less spring rate than current production Daisy lever action repeaters like the Red Ryder, Model 10, Model 105B Buck, etc. 

So getting 327 fps- which matches almost exactly my own results using similar specs and a new RR spring- I'd want to say you had one of the new springs in it. Not written in stone, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were a new one. It could have been the original spring if in very good condition as the difference between the two is about 7%. Either way, excellent results and well done!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic