Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1894 Spittin Image

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brent72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1894 Spittin Image
    Posted: May-07-2017 at 4:53pm
Greetings:

I have Daisy Model 1894 that I was given as a child. How can I determine the actual year of this BB gun?
The Registrartion Number is: 1954963.

I want to oil the gun before trying to see if it still works, but BBs are still in the chamber. I have read that the gun should be dry shot before oiling. Should I try to fire the gun and hopefully expel the six or so BBs that are in the chamber before trying to oil it?

I also still have the original box with slight wear. How much does this enhance the value?

Thanks for any help
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 4:17pm
When you say BB's in the chamber you don't mean the barrel do you?
If they are not there I would try to oil it first through the oil hole before trying to shoot it.
30W motor oil is a good lube for the 1894.
These have a bad reputation for seals going bad due to the design.
Good luck.
Gary
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 5:46pm
Are you sure that that first digit is not an I or an L? The Reg. # should have a letter in it.
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
brent72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brent72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 8:35pm
Hello,

Yes the bbs are just in the storage chamber. They were left there from the last time the gun was fired. I shall take your advise and try 30W to lubricate. I just want to see if the gun works and am a bit doubtful since it has not been fired for a long long time.

Thanks

The Registration Number does start with the letter I -- I954963. So I would like to know if the 1894 was made around the time I was 10 to 13 (1964-1967). ??? 

Again your response is appreciated.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2017 at 5:28pm
"I" supposedly wasn't used but the "9" in the 2nd. position should be '69. Could the "I" be a "J"?
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2017 at 7:46pm
According to Mr. Garber, year coding was not part of the register numbering system till 1972. I have never heard that Daisy did not use the letter "I" in their register # system. 
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2017 at 7:28pm
willielumplump View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 10:33pm
CAUTION;  Make sure that 30wt oil is non-detergent.
Semper Fi
brent72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brent72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2017 at 7:09pm
Thanks for the input. I have just used Pellgun Oil and gave it a healthy squirt and shall let it set over night. I am not hopeful that it will shoot. BBs were left in the gun when last shot some 40 years before. I do believe that 1969 is when I thought that I received it as a birthday gift from my parents.

So if this is a working 1969 1894 Spittin Image in excellent condtion (complete with box) any guess as to its worth? I have seen quite a range of prices.

Thanks 
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2017 at 8:21pm
Thanks Cobalt. I see it now! I wonder if Daisy didn't use "I" before 1972's big change. As to value of a good shooting early 1894 boxed......it depends. If you could list it on Ebay it might bring $400. Folk that buy there are a bit crazy. Problem is you probably wont be able to list it there. Everywhere else, it may bring as much as $200.....if it truly does shoot well and it is in better than 90% condition. By that I mean no dents, no scratches, and no lost paint but for minor edge wear. Lord I wish I could list on Ebay cuz airgun buyers there are out of their minds. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic