Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1940 Daisy Red Ryder - leathers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almyjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1940 Daisy Red Ryder - leathers
    Posted: May-13-2017 at 11:28am
   A few days ago I bought two Daisy no. 111 model 40 Red Ryder Carbines at an antiques shop. One was 1947 - 1949 model and the other was made in 1940 (with copper bands). The 1940 gun is better than 90%. It looks factory new. I tried to shoot it and nothing came out. After disassembly, I discovered the leather had turned to a fuzzy powder. The shot tube was plugged with the stuff and the plunger spring was littered with it. The plunger head had only a small ring of leather still in place. The gun had not been used much (based on it's pristine condition), what would have caused such a problem with the leather seal? Could this much damage have been caused by someone oiling up the leather real good with detergent oil then letting it set for seventy some years? I have opened up older guns than that and found leather seals to be in pretty good condition.

Rick Cates View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2017 at 5:10pm
Nice find!
My guess would be that it was never oiled.
Over the years the leather dried out and melted away into the dust.
The oil would have preserved the leather in my opinion, it was just absent.
Just My 2 Cents and worth just about that.
Rick Cates
Rick - Lifetime Museum Member
almyjmoore View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almyjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2017 at 6:48pm
That's an interesting angle Rick. I never even considered that. Thanks, Al
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2017 at 7:22pm
That would be my guess, too. Leather can 'dry rot' if not protected by some sort of preservative.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2017 at 10:58pm
I'd agree. I have had Daisy 25's that were near 100 years old and still shot well. 
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
willielumplump View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 10:31pm
Wow, most of us dream of finding one of those pristine first year Daisy Red Ryder 111-40's; great find.

Semper Fi
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almyjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2017 at 10:05pm
Someday I'll figure out how to post pictures on this site and I will put some pictures on. As it is, I can't even figure out how to get pictures on Photobucket. Thanks, Al
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almyjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2017 at 11:00am
I just spent 45 minutes trying to put pictures on Photobucket. The advertising on that site overwhelms any effort to download pictures. They do provide an "X" to get rid of the ads one at a time but when you hit the "X", it brings up the ad. Finally, the ad came up for Photobucket.  It costs $4 - $40 per month if you want any chance at being able to use the site. Is there another site where a person can store 10 or 20 photos in order to show them on Daisy Talk? Is it possible to copy the pics off my computer and paste them onto the Daisy Talk site? Thanks, Al
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2017 at 1:14pm
I have used https://postimage.io/ in the past but not recently. When I used it, it was uber easy- no account needed, just click on "choose image" then pick the image from your computer then copy the address from the list of selections right below the image (use the "direct link"-it  will have a suffix of "jpg"). Then bracket the image addy between [img] and [/img[ (flip the last bracket) or use the "Full Reply Editor" here (click on dual boxes w/arrow pointing to top right- this is in the top toolbar of the Quick Reply box) and the image will be shown here. Might want to research it (Terms of Use) and online to be sure it is still safe.

RedRyderUSA View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedRyderUSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2017 at 8:01pm
I have used photobucket for many years and never have had to pay anything. I do see all of the ads and will be staying away from them, very annoying. I just click on the image I want to use after downloading it and then the IMG code will appear to the right of the image. Just copy and paste the IMG code in your message and it has always worked for me. There are 6 codes so just use the IMG one only.
Be Independent!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic