Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy BB Guns made in China

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almyjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy BB Guns made in China
    Posted: May-28-2017 at 12:23pm
  I see a lot of the newer Daisy BB guns are stamped "made in China". Are any of the Daisy guns made in this country? When did the production first move to China? I started out collecting the guns with cast iron levers. They were hard to find so I added any Daisy that was made in Plymouth Michigan. It's not easy to find them anymore so I added the Rogers guns that had removable shot tubes. I stay away from plastic cocking levers, plastic sights that are on the end of the shot tube, and plastic loading gates. Some of the latter are not bad little shooting guns but I can't ever see them as being collectable. When did Daisy start moving production to China and are they all made there now?
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2017 at 8:36pm
Except for some special editions like centennial, etc. they're now made in China. I believe the parts of the US assembled guns are also from China. The switch to China from the US was over a time span of ~ 2006-2008 to the best of my knowledge. The change to plastic triggers, levers and non removable shot tubes was earlier than that- along about 1979 or so.
almyjmoore View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almyjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2017 at 7:05pm
Thanks cobalt 327. I thought that the Chinese thing was more recent and the plastic parts also were more recent. Al
Joe Johnson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Johnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2021 at 9:40pm
I thought the same thing, Mark, but after talking to Howard May this evening I'm trying to do some more research. He's also a collector and rebuilder.

Howard said that all the guns with the side loading gate and plastic cover are and were manufactured in china. He said Daisy would receive shipments of parts made in china, then assemble them here in a now shut down factory. Missouri I think he said... I guess they did that in an effort to prevent the need for the "made in china" stamp which may have hampered sales.

Eventually the practice was stopped by the gubment and all the guns now say the thing.

I have a nice one I found with a model 95's metal sight ramp and the box. Lot No. D921303 
I thought for sure it was manufactured in America. I'm bummed I tell ya!
Be, be the ball.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2021 at 11:40pm
The parts are indeed made in China. And they are assembled in Rogers AR. So, one might say, "assembled in the USA from parts made (or manufactured) in China". But at the risk of splitting hairs, I don't think it's accurate to say the guns are "manufactured in China". Just my opinion and disagreement is perfectly fine!
Rstin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2021 at 1:28pm
So sorry another American icon is lost to cheap and foreign labor, people have no respect for the Made in the "Made in the USA" stamp,
Shame on these companies, they sell yours and mine future for this great and free country for mere fast dollars, they are also selling our childrens futures also!!!!

oldwizzer View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldwizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2021 at 2:04pm
My opinion, as far as I'm concerned they are Chinese air guns ! Assembling them  in the US is just another ploy to make it seem otherwise .

Ejwills.
Ejwills
undertaker View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote undertaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2021 at 5:06pm
Unfortunately, Daisy and many other iconic companies would have been out of business long ago had it not been for parts , materials, and assembly being done in other countries. That $29.95 Red Ryder at Walmart would cost $299.95 today if it was all USA made. How many do you think they would sell? 
Joe Johnson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Johnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2021 at 7:10pm
I agree with all of you. I'm not pleased with the situation, but it's beyond my meager control.
If not for the Chinese we probably would have lost Daisy to the wolves long ago. 

I'll keep collecting and fixing the old American Made stuff I find. As long as there are those of us who desire the real deal, they won't be allowed to fall by the wayside again. 

I sure wish we could shake the desire for cheap consumables. 
Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good. 
Be, be the ball.
Iceman View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2021 at 9:48am
I was in Walmart yesterday and yes I saw the "Christmas Wish" bb guns priced at $29.95.  I certainly have a lot of mixed emotions about this.  Right now, there is a 1983 "Christmas Story" on Ebay for $650.  As all of you know, we have paid various prices for the various 5 year increments of the "Christmas Dream" rifles.  In my humble opinion, on one hand a little boy can get the "Christmas Wish" for a very reasonable price, but on the other hand I think Gamo has cheapened the "collector editions" that were made over the years.  However, I also have opined about Daisy putting out a new edition every five years that really did not have a nickel's worth of difference between each rifle.  I know that it is likely not cost effective, but it certainly would be nice if they would actually put out a reproduction of something like the Double Barrel, Buzz Barton, Buck Jones, Defender model, etc that are actually blued, removable shot tube, cast iron lever, nickel plated etc.  I think the 125th Anniversary Pump was an excellent example of what I am hoping for them to consider.  The same gun over and over with a different laser engraving on the stock and forearm just doesn't float my boat.  Just my humble opinion. 

Star 
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic