Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisys in general

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2017 at 2:15pm
I purchased the No 1938 Red Ryder Register No G324913 Daisy for $20.
Now for the fun of removing the shot tube.
Wish me luck.
Rick
Rick - Lifetime Museum Member
oneandgone View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2017 at 3:41pm
Nice! Good luck! 
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2017 at 7:39pm
Sounds like an early 1938 to me. the register # places it at July 1973. I'd try some mellow heat on the place where the shot tube screws in. a hair dryer is what i use. your issue might be dried up oil/lube. A bit of heat will loosen that up. Let us know how it comes out.......pardon me.
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
Rick Cates View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2017 at 8:29pm
I have it soaking with oil now.
The shot tube turns clockwise but only goes about 90 degrees in counterclockwise and binds tight.
It is binding on something.
I am thinking it may have a bb or bbs hung up at the base.
It feels solid after the 90 degree turn.
It shoots what seems really hard so the spring is strong.
If the oil does not work out I think I will pull the spring/plunger assy out and see what it looks like from the back side.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rick
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2017 at 8:44pm
I'm stumped. It's pretty simple in the "barrel" north of the place where the tube screws in. Just a smooth cylinder......nothing really to bind on. Not sure how a bb could get in them threads......in back of the shot tube threads yes but in them??? Rust?
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 12:51pm
Well after a overnight soak nothing changed so I stripped it down completely.
Looking from the back side the tube was turning just like the other end.
I took a left hand thread easy out and put it in the back side of the shot tube and with the added pressure of the easy out and turning the muzzle end it did get past the obstruction and screw out.
What I found was the bb funnel area of the shot tube was bent over to the side and catching on the barrel reinforcement area of the outer tube.  This one has a reinforcement over half of the outer tube and that is what the funnel sheet metal was catching on.  It was bent badly and the bb retainer spring was loose in the barrel.
I would guess someone tried to pull the shot tube with it full of bb's and bent the funnel area a little and just enough to catch the reinforcement area and then it got worse from there by working it back and forth.
I used needle nose pliers to rebend the funnel area back in place.  That was no easy task as that is really stiff stuff.  Put the bb retainer spring back in place tried the tube back in the barrel and then reassembled the the rest of the Daisy.
I took it out and shot it.  Worked great.
A lot of trouble for such a small issue.
Maybe this will help someone else in the future.
Rick
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 7:12pm
Good work! So, worth the $20 then, eh?!
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 7:47pm
It shot so well and accurate I was surprised.  I have an old King I really like to shoot but now this 1938 may be above the King.  The King is a hard hitter but I think the 1938 may match it.
A well spent $20 bucks.
Rick
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 8:09pm
That's awesome. I love it. 
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2017 at 6:43pm
Nice work! I will remember your troubles for future reference. Thank you for sharing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic