Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisys in general

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2017 at 11:04pm
Mr Cates, I enjoyed reading the saga of your finally obtained Daisy 1938; when I was actively collecting, sometimes I would purchase guns in lots of 5, 10, even 60; upon screening through them, I would send the unserviceable specimens to my airgun smith, Dennis Baker out in Mt Victory, Ohio, a highly reputable gentleman.  Shipping would be $40 round trip, plus labor and parts, average repair + shipping would be about $80 to $120, not counting the original purchase price.

Which meant that the repaired gun would only bring at sale, half of what it cost me; I did it because I felt duty bound to preserve the early Daisy iconic BB guns for future Daisy Nuts.  I am not a wealthy man, however, I do not have many other bad spending habits,  (my wife thinks otherwiseShocked) anyway, glad you went back and purchased that old Daisy.  Congratulations on your dedication and hard work.

Semper Fi
Rick Cates View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2017 at 9:51am
I just do the repairs for fun. Being retired I try to find things to keep me busy. I am not a TV fan as most programs are just junk to me. I collect the Plymouth Daisy's so the 1938 was going outside my collection but it was in such good shape I had to go back and rescue it and repair it. I have more Daisy's and tools than I probably need however, I enjoy both and it keeps me out of trouble or that is what I tell the wife.
I also enjoy this forum and reading about everyone and what they post.
Happy Holidays to everyone and have a very Merry Christmas.
Rick in TX
Rick - Lifetime Museum Member
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2017 at 10:08am
I'm kind of a hybrid airgun hobbiest. I too bought 95% of the guns I aquired in lots from folk who were offloading. I'm still buying. I'm really not a wealthy man so none of them ever go out to be fixed. I fix/reseal the ones I can, and the rest become parts. If I really really like a gun I keep it as a shooter. All the rest go up for sale. So for a minimum initial outlay, I can be hip deep in a self sustaining hobby. It truly costs me nothing. Karen and I have about a dozen shooters that we wont part with and another 50-60 guns that are currently "in the pipeline". Happy Thanksgiving to everybody. 

All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2017 at 11:36am
Except for a nice model 96 that I keep original, I don't actually 'collect' Daisys or any type of airgun for that matter, so I suppose I don't really belong here in the first place.

I took a few Daisys that had been neglected/abused to the point they were worthless to a collector and along with a new production Red Ryder from China, I set out to make myself my ideal BB gun. Along the way I have learned a lot and thought I would pass that info along when I could. A few appreciate it, others could care less and that's okay, too.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2017 at 8:20am
I find there is a fine line between "collector" and "gatherer". For me, it's the fun of it all. I refuse (that is my wife refuses) to spend a fortune this hobby. Old ones I try to restore or Frankenstein. I also have a blast re-styling new 105's into looking like other guns ie: Russian DP28, Mare's Leg, Tommy Guns, Coach Gun,etc. If it ain't fun, don't bother.
Air-It-Is
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2017 at 6:15pm
Now you've teased us lets see some of them 105's you've "messed" with.Smile
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2017 at 7:48pm
I still can't post pix on this forum. I'll get some together and email them to you. Give me a day or two.
Air-It-Is
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2017 at 6:23pm
I appreciate it. I'll be off to family for the holiday. Hope you all have a nice turkey day as well.Tongue
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 7:01pm
Fuse, I hope you had a great Thanksgiving with family.
Glad you enjoyed the pictures of the modifications. They're as much fun to make as to shoot. Already have an idea for next spring's project. Thanks for showing an interest. My wife is soooo proud of her Tommy Gun!!

Air.
Air-It-Is
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2017 at 8:24pm
Thank you for the pics. Very nice work and very imaginative. That double barrel is a nice looker as well. Cool
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic