Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member, long time airgunner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gertrude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member, long time airgunner
    Posted: July-03-2017 at 2:49pm
Hello all,
I am new to your forum and this is my first post here.
I am an active member on the GTA and a long time airgunner shooter, tinkerer, tuner, and work on all of my "higher end" PCPs. I came across my old Daisy BB no. 102 model 36, plastic stock, aluminum cocking lever, register no. D644880, and would like to make it operable again. I'm not sure how old it is, and I realize it has no real value, but I'd still like to keep it and get it shooting for old times sake. The main issue right now is it will not cock. I have removed the stock, cocking lever, trigger. I would like to disassemble it further to see if I can figure out what the problem is and fix it. I see the tip of the cocking lever shows some pretty heavy grind marks and I am assuming it may not be compressing the spring/piston (?) back far enough to allow the trigger to "catch". (At least, that's what I'm picturing in my head). I would like to take the internals out and do a complete clean, inspect, lube, and any necessary repairs.
I see what appears to be a rivet in the side of the receiver, just above the front end of the cocking lever, and directly in line with and below the rear sight.
Do I need to drill/cut/punch out this rivet to complete the disassembly ? If so, what do you normally use there upon reassembly ?
Is there anything else that I need to remove to get the operating internals out ?
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated, and if I can be of assistance to any of you on other Airgun types, I'll be glad to help.
Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Cheers
Ron
Gertrude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gertrude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2017 at 3:54pm
Ok, so doing a little web surfing, I have found some info saying I need to remove the rear sight. This is apparently a plate that holds the spring/plunger assembly in the gun. Is that correct ?
I have also seen where it is suggested to build a simple machine to compress the spring. This machine has some sort of forked leg to get around the rear sight/plate.
I'm not really sure I want to make this machine, and would like any suggestions on how to use something else to accomplish this task. Is that possible ?, Or do you all build this machine first because there is no other way to disassemble without it ?
I am very mechanical and am fully confident in my abilities. I just need to know what others have used rather than building a machine that will only be used this one time.
Any suggestions on an alternative method/tool to compress the spring and remove the sight/plate ?
Thanks
Daily shooter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daily shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2017 at 5:15pm
Hey G, you are right that on your gun the rear sight is also the plunger spring retainer
You can grab it with a pair of wise grips and muscle it out but that will mark it up pretty good.
A plunger spring compression tool is needed to compress the spring and take the pressure off the
sight/retainer so it can be lifted out. Don't mess with that rivet, BTW. Shine a light down into the receiver
and you will see why. JG Airguns sells a spring compressor for 50$ but who can easily do that?
Search eBay, I bought one made on a 3D printer for 10$ a few months back. It lasted for several
uses so may still be available. Check JG for 102 36 parts, you may need new seals too. And check you tube for
other info , always good stuff there. Good luck and welcome.
39hunter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 39hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2017 at 5:54pm
Ron, cut and paste this in your browser.  It is a service manual for a Daisy 102 etc.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/576299/message/1309996863/Daisy.++Service+Manual+for+Daisy++Lever+Action%2C+Gravity+Feed.++Models+102+-+111+-+95%2C++etc
Plunger fork
http://www.network54.com/Forum/576299/message/1304395329/The+Daisy+Plunger+Fork.

As for removing the plunger assembly I have made a few different tools that worked.  My email is on my profile if you would like a picture of what I use.
Pat
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2017 at 2:31pm
The replies above cover the subject of resurrecting your little Daisy real well. The spring compression tool is key to it all. The tool can be made, as has been said already.

I made a spring compressor from a piece of scrap wood and two lengths of steel rod. It is shown in the photo below.

Specs:

The wood is 1-1/2" x 5/8" x 10" long. I smoothed the end and edges for ease of handling.

The rods are 5/32" diameter (1/8” would work fine, too.), having >/= 6-1/2" exposed length.

The rods are inserted into drilled holes that are ~1" deep and JB Weld holds them in place.

For the spring installation I use a 13/16" OD washer with an ID large enough to fit easily over the plunger tube to give the tool something more than just the end of the spring to purchase on. The washer goes on the tube first followed by the spring then the wiper and piston. If you don't have any such washers on hand, I found some that were a perfect fit while rummaging through the hardware drawers at my local Ace hardware. IIRC they were in the bushing area. Cost was like a nickel each.

This is one made from a cheap spark plug socket:

Below are spring compressors of a different type- they compress the plunger spring. This was made by a member here (sorry, didn't note the name) from inexpensive hardware that many folks will already have:

An innovative plunger tube assembly compressor:

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2017 at 3:33pm
I forgot to add, if you find that the spring is badly kinked (a common problem), you can replace it with a new spring from the current production Red Ryder. The spring's not sold separately but it comes with the plunger assembly, p/n 169750-000, $4.00 from Daisy. If needed, you can use the piston and air tube as well. Be sure to use the new plunger pin with the new air tube- the old pin won't fit. The actual plunger tubes aren't interchangeable, so reuse your original.

the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 11:31am
Welcome Gertrude,
I made my spring compressor out of two 1/8" steel rods duck taped to a 1/2" dowel. It's rough to look at but it was easy to make and I've used it dozens of times. You may need a lever or a plunger assembly to fix your 102. I have both in a parts gun of mine. The plastic stock makes me think your 102 dates to the 60's or earlier. Does it have a Roger's or a Plymouth address?
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
willielumplump View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2017 at 5:57pm
Wow Cobolt, great contribution to the DTF; very nice indeed.
Semper Fi
RedRyderUSA View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedRyderUSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2017 at 2:15pm
Very cool indeed. I made one like cobalts out of a piece on metal conduit pipe.
Be Independent!
gerryvz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerryvz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2021 at 9:23am
Just a quick update here. I've been refurbishing my 1978-vintage Red Ryder BB gun, which my parents gave me for Christmas that year as an 11-year-old.

Did a lot of reading on the web about how to best create a tool for compressing the plunger spring, as well as considered the 3D-printed version of the tool available on eBay.

I settled on a tool much like this one.  It took me about 10 minutes to make, and used the following materials, which can easily be sourced from any Home Depot:
  • 3-foot length of 1/8" diameter steel rod
  • 4-foot length of 1 1/8" diameter round oak dowel
Tools required:
  • Hand drill
  • 1/8" drill bit
  • Ruler or tape measure
  • Hacksaw
  • Wood saw (hand saw, etc.)
  • Hammer
  • Small piece of ductape or masking tape
  • Sharpie marker or pencil
  • Awl (optional)
  • Bench vise
Daisy Spring Compressor Tool assembly steps:
  1. After clamping in a bench vise, cut two 8.5" lengths off of the steel rod.  Make sure they are of even length.
  2. After clamping in a bench vise, cut a 10" length off of the round wooden dowel.  This will be the handle of your tool.  Wrap it with a rag where the vise jaws clamp the wood, to avoid marring it.
  3. Using your ruler or tape measure, tightly wrap the small piece of duct/masking tape exactly 1 inch from the end of the drill but (up the shaft).  This will be your depth gauge when drilling.
  4. Clamp the length of dowel in a bench vise.  Wrap it with a rag where the vise jaws clamp the wood, to avoid marring it.
  5. Using your ruler or tape measure, mark two holes with the Sharpie or pencil, spaced exactly 5/8" apart on the end of the dowel.  Each hole should be between the center point and the outisde edge of the dowel, but well inside of the dowel's edge.
  6. Using your scratch awl, turn your hole marks into shallow holes.  These will guide the drill bit in the next step.
  7. Using your drill, chucked with the 1/8" bit, drill two holes exactly 1 inch (down to the depth of your wrapped tape on the bit) into the end of the wooden dowel.  Use the shallow holes you created with the scratch awl as guides for the drill bit.
  8. Insert one of your cut lengths of steel rod into one of the holes.  Carefully and lightly tap the end of the rod down into the hole, until you feel resistance when it bottoms out in the hole.
  9. Do the same for the other steel rod length, with the other hole you drilled.  Make sure that the protruding ends of the steel rods are of even length after pounding them into the dowel.  Adjust length as necessary.
You now have your plunger spring compression tool !!  Good luck with your Daisy disassembly efforts!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic