FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D .118 tiny BB's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D .118 tiny BB's
    Posted: August-10-2017 at 5:14pm
Huh. Thought it was a Daisy but you're right! So I guess the lead shot was just a Targeteer thing. FWIW I found an article on the Sharpshooter http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/05/have-you-ever-seen-a-rubber-band-gun/.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 9:48am
Thanks for that Cobalt. Actually, I really enjoy shooting my Targeteers once winter comes for real up here. I love to get that satisfying "ding" when I get a bulls-eye on my bell target. I shoot with #6 bird shot as the Daisy ammo is too dear. I just evacuate one of my 20 gauge shells. I've had a couple of them "Sharp Shooters". They also shoot plain old #6 bird shot. They were not a Daisy product......at least the ones I had weren't. They were invented and patented by a dentist in Denver and manufactured from the late 20's through the 70's....if you can believe that. 
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 3:18pm
The lead shot must be hard to find compared to the steel shot!

From the Blue Book: MODEL 118 DAISY TARGETEER

- .118 cal., #6 lead or steel shot (Daisy #6 in two sizes of metal tube), SL, SP, indoor shooting gallery air pistol, all-metal construction... *SNIP*

There was also an early Daisy rubber band powered gun, the Sharp Shooter, that shot the same size ammo as the Targeteer, except it was lead instead of steel. I always thought it just used #6 birdshot, but on thinking about it, it may have had its own Daisy ammo.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 10:59am
Thanks for your input Rick. I have had a bunch of the tin tubes before and all of them held copper plated steel .118 BB. The tops of these cans come off pretty hard. I have to finesse them off for about a minute each. I believe them to be the real deal......just asking if anyone else has run across the tins with lead in them.
Rick Cates View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2017 at 3:11pm
I have not looked at any of my tin tubes as the tops are hard to get off and inspect but I have looked at some of the original paper tubes and they did have lead.  I am not sure of the age of the paper tubes.  I just own them for display anyway.
Just My 2 Cents
Rick in TX
Rick - Lifetime Museum Member
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2017 at 3:03pm
I just bought some Targeteer Tiny BB's in original tins. The tins are from the 40's/50's. The BB's are all lead. I have head that Daisy reissued lead BB's in the 90's but never knew of any lead BB's in their early tins. Can anybody shed any light here? The tins appear to be legit and there are alot of them. I opened 5 random tins and they all had lead in them. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic