Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leather Seals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leather Seals
    Posted: September-08-2017 at 3:12pm
I'm finally ready to start re sealing some guns so I'm looking for either a source for the seals in some quantity that knocks the price down or for the info on how to make my own. IE what size leather punches and where to source the proper leather. Any info on either option is appreciated. I'd rather know how to make my own as that would be the most efficient method over the long term. I've already done some searching on this, but the results seem inconsistent. Hopefully you guys in all your wisdom can take the guesswork and error out of this. Thank you in advance.
WillH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2017 at 3:08pm
 The 13/16" leather seals and bumpers are available on Ebay; kinda expensive for what you get. I make my own from 8/9 oz. leather; something like men's belt leather thickness; just over 1/8". The 13/16" size fits several older guns; I made a 13/16" punch from tubing as well as a 3/8" and 3/16"; the seal itself has a 3/8" hole; the bumper a 3/16". Hope this helps   
oneandgone View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2017 at 9:36pm
Good info, thank you. 

How are you guys centering these up? I picture ending up with a perfectly round seal with a hole way off center in the middle of it...or rather, NOT in the middle of it. haha
pmo View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2017 at 12:21am
When using regular leather hole punches it might help to plan your cuts with a compass...first the 3/8 inch hole penciled in... then the larger cut is penciled in with the compass...You can use these pencil line guides to line up your punches....PHIL
WillH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2017 at 7:49am
 I use a washer that is just smaller than the seal diameter; this will leave a small amount of the seal showing around the edge; easy to center this; drill the center hole to fit the small center hole punch; it needs to be close but not perfect.
Tbird View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2017 at 11:12am
The size of the leather seal needs to be close but not perfect. remember, these will swell up once you oil them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic