Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shooting dad's 111 model 40- maintenance help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BudWaltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shooting dad's 111 model 40- maintenance help
    Posted: September-25-2017 at 3:57pm
 Hi - we were out shooting my dad's #111 model 40 red ryder and the 1988 commemorative issue bb guns. Should I oil anything on the 111. With the 50 year warranty on the 1988 commemorative bb gun. the leather string broke today.
Bud's Daughter
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2017 at 7:26pm
You should oil both guns. A couple drops of ATF in the oil hole on the 1938b will do fine. With the gun empty and uncocked, I'd put about ten drops of ATF down the shot tube (barrel) and let it sit barrel up for 24 hours. Really you can't oil a leather seal BB gun too much. I like to hear the oil sloshing around down there as I work the action.....without fully cocking it. That should swell up the leather seals and give you a harder shooting gun. I buy leather thong from a local tack shop to replace the ones that go on my Red Ryders. Leather shoe laces work as well. Good luck and have fun with them nice old and not so old guns.
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
oneandgone View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2017 at 7:57pm
Daisy also sells leather thongs for the newer Red Ryders. They're only $1.00, but there's USPS shipping on top of that. 
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2017 at 8:07pm
The price of daisy parts is very reasonable......it's the shipping that hurts. 10 feet of thong costs about $5 at a tack/cobbler shop and should last most folk a lifetime. Did I mention I'm a cheap son of a gun.
oneandgone View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2017 at 8:19pm
Haha! I agree, that's the way to go. I just don't know where I'd find that at where I am. I'm sure somewhere here has it, but I sure can't say where that is.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2017 at 7:38pm
Look at leather boot laces. They are near the same size and not as hard to source.
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 9:03am
Boot laces are great. A used pair makes great ones for guns showing some wear.
Gary

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 9:35am
@BudWaltz Because I don't use thongs on my shooters, I've removed the thongs and the rings and 'staples' (Daisyspeak for the ring attachment piece). So I have a spare thong I'd be happy to give you. 
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 1:23pm
I also used laces. Work well but not old looking. I had to get creative about making the loop staple. Cut it from a piece of plexiglass.
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 5:16pm
You can buy leather at Walmart.It is 1/8th wide, 25ft long for about 11.00
Stevec
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic