Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Models 98 and96

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2018 at 5:23pm
I currently have an old RR torn apart in my shop. Metal front sight, mahogany stock, RR logo on the left. Interesting little gun but the shot tube is missing.
I'm convinced that somewhere in this country is a ne'er-do-well with a basement full of assorted contraband shot tubes!!
Air-It-Is
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2018 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Airitis Airitis wrote:

I recently saw two very bad guns at a local antique shop. One a model 25 and one a RR. Both had the shot tubes missing. The prices were way out of line so I left them there, but....do you think there is a serial shot tube thief on the loose??

Some parents removed them to prevent shooting at unauthorized targets.
Gary
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2018 at 7:20pm
I'm willing to entertain that possibility, but it's more fun to imagine a shot tube desperado, giggling with a mean grin at the torment he has caused. "Curse you Shot Tube Thief!!!"
Air-It-Is
RRyder95 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRyder95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2018 at 6:55am

Well, the transfer port looked damaged, until I removed it.

Turns out the Wide body 98 transfer port is a different size. It has a .174" OD  transfer port. When I measure my 95 and 96 they are .164" OD. and their shot tubes will not drop over the port. Explains why the other wide body shot tubes will not fit. I'm starting to come to the conclusion the 98 wide body has a dedicated shot tube.

Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2018 at 8:57am
That is an interesting fact. I would have thought any of them would interchange.
I wonder why they would be different.
Gary
Daily shooter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daily shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2018 at 10:38am
Please explain the term "transfer port". Not familiar with it. Thanks
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2018 at 5:38pm
Transfer port is a term more commonly used in referrence to Co2, pump pneumatic, or spring airguns. It is the "hole where the gas from the valve or chamber is transferred to the barrel. In this case, I think he means the end of the air tube. Frankly, I never knew that Daisy used different sized air tubes on any of their BB guns. I learn something new all the time. 
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
Daily shooter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daily shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2018 at 11:20pm
Thanks Fuse. I never new that either. I've been into a lot of Daisys and have never found that.
ramblerdryver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblerdryver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2018 at 11:38pm
"Wide body" Daisys? What does that refer to? 
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2018 at 8:39am
Originally posted by ramblerdryver ramblerdryver wrote:

"Wide body" Daisys? What does that refer to? 

Those models of BB guns that have a frame that is noticeably wider than a Red Ryder and most other Daisy's.
Model 95, 96, 98, 99 are some that use the wider frame. 
First used I think in the WWII era Model 140.
Gary
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic