Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Buy & Sell
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1961 DAISY MODEL 97 BB GUN RICOCHET SOUND RARE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2017 at 9:01am
I agree, I think they are going to bend however they are stored.
Look at the forearms that 'droop' at both ends. My first gun did and it was never stored horizontally, always leaning in a corner some place.
Gary
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2017 at 7:46pm
Makes finding a fairly straight stock from that era real hard to source. I have had exactly one out of the dozen or so that I have come across. 
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
rleegabe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleegabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2019 at 3:35pm
Would you consider selling a model 97 for parts ???? I need the ricochet unit.

I have a pop gun and several of these. Two of them have the most warped stocks I have ever seen.
Must have been a bad year for what ever they made the stock from.
Cobalt-yours looks nice and straight.
Gary
Ron Gabriel
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2019 at 6:58pm
Gary, just to clarify, the photo of the 97 I posted are of the gun owned by SFCKAGAN.
Good luck on a parts gun. FWIW the pop gun ricochet units are very similar if from the same era and could probably be interchanged.

Dannop2 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2020 at 9:49pm
Had to dig this old post up , Cobalt I have one of the J.C. Higgins 97's with the lighter stock and after a bit of oiling and getting one of the oversized Daisy BB's out of it it's a good shooter , can't really post pictures here but if there is a need I can send them out email wise .  
Realshooter
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 10:01am
I recently repaired a model 97 for a gentleman and I was very pleasantly surprised at just how well it shot! The cocking and firing cycles were smooth as butter after I resealed it. I found that the spring is quite a bit different than other Daisys from the same era, I'm not sure if the differences were because of the ricochet feature or what, but the spring is very long, with a smaller wire diameter than would be expected for a gun that now shoots an honest 300 fps. I kind of hated to send it back- I was having a lot of fun shooting it!
Dannop2 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 12:21pm
Yes they are for sure different , hardest part was to get the right number of coils for the lever that hits the drum , 1st one i did was dead on the first time , the other two not so much , this one must have gotten an oversized BB in it early on or something as the drum is in such good shape I find it hard to believe unless somehow they replaced it , funny thing with these is that they don't like much oil as far as noise go's so you have to oil it all up and then wipe about all of it off of the drum and sound amplifier , cool guns for sure and like you said very smooth shooters that hit pretty hard . You know me , as much as I like it I am staying the course and may be selling it , same with some 99's I have which are also smooth shooters with that unique trigger . 
Realshooter
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

I recently repaired a model 97 for a gentleman and I was very pleasantly surprised at just how well it shot! The cocking and firing cycles were smooth as butter after I resealed it. I found that the spring is quite a bit different than other Daisys from the same era, I'm not sure if the differences were because of the ricochet feature or what, but the spring is very long, with a smaller wire diameter than would be expected for a gun that now shoots an honest 300 fps. I kind of hated to send it back- I was having a lot of fun shooting it!

Here's a hunch about that longer spring. I've parted out several toy guns and discovered that the springs can be quite a bit longer than the BB shooters. It could be that since this one and it's toy counterpart are the same size that Daisy just used the same power plant and saved a few bucks in production.
Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Airitis Airitis wrote:

Here's a hunch about that longer spring. I've parted out several toy guns and discovered that the springs can be quite a bit longer than the BB shooters. It could be that since this one and it's toy counterpart are the same size that Daisy just used the same power plant and saved a few bucks in production.
That's possible. The spring is 9.25" overall. I've seen pop guns with even longer springs.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Dannop2 Dannop2 wrote:

Yes they are for sure different , hardest part was to get the right number of coils for the lever that hits the drum , 1st one i did was dead on the first time , the other two not so much , this one must have gotten an oversized BB in it early on or something as the drum is in such good shape I find it hard to believe unless somehow they replaced it , funny thing with these is that they don't like much oil as far as noise go's so you have to oil it all up and then wipe about all of it off of the drum and sound amplifier , cool guns for sure and like you said very smooth shooters that hit pretty hard .
The number of coils would have a bearing on the sound and I hadn't considered that. The gun I resealed did not have an operational ricochet, and I wasn't asked to work on it so it never entered my mind. 
Quote You know me , as much as I like it I am staying the course and may be selling it , same with some 99's I have which are also smooth shooters with that unique trigger. 
I like that trigger a lot. I built myself a model 96 using a 99 trigger. It is a nice shooting gun, too. Shane refinished stock, and the open sights of the 96 work better for my kind of shooting, which amounts to back yard plinking and hanging targets, etc. The dark background from the woods makes shooting with peeps hard for me.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic