Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model 25 v Red Ryder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model 25 v Red Ryder
    Posted: April-13-2018 at 5:08pm
When I was a kid, all us pre-teens believed that the pump was faster than the lever guns.  Since then, I discovered both NOW shoot at about 350 fps.  Was this always the case?  I think we believed it was stronger because it was harder to cock and more expensive.

Anyway, this subject came up  recently on another board and so I'm looking for answers from enthusiasts.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2018 at 5:36pm
Speaking only about the current (ca. 2015) Red Ryder versus the same generation model 25, in chronograph testing I found the m25 to be marginally more powerful than the Red Ryder. But neither was anywhere near 350 fps, despite what Daisy may say ("up to xxx MV" is a dodge as far as I'm concerned), and there's no way either gun will ever shoot 350 fps w/o heavy modifications.

The MV was measured using Daisy Precision Max zinc plated BBs straight from WM:

MODEL 25

282 fps

MODEL 1938B RED RYDER

270 fps

BurghDude View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurghDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2018 at 9:45pm
These two modern guns were bought about 3 years ago: 

Mod 25 276fps
RR 299fps

Same ammo as Cobalt.  So, it looks like at least regarding the current ones, it is luck of the draw!  

All of my 111-40s shoot significantly slower ;)  I bought one from Baker Airguns with the claim that it was back to spec, and it shoots around 250 fps.  The other two wood stock aluminum lever guns shoot right around 200 fps.

The strongest first generation 25 I have is the last common version (not the commemorative special edition) 25 made, with the hunting dogs on the sides of the receiver, Monte Carlo stock and the beavertail pump handle.  It is sometimes mistaken for the Model 225 that came next.  That one shoots 335 fps!  I seem to remember reading that there was something done to that gun to kick up its fps, getting it more in line with what it was "in the old days".  That implies that earlier 25s did have more power than the later first generation guns.  I wish I could find that article again, but I can't.  But there's no denying the power bump over my "current" one!  

<did a little more looking around> And the B.B. Pelletier blog has an article:

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/11/daisy-no-25-pump-bb-gun/

in which he says his 1930 Model 25 shoots 375fps with modern steel pellets.

So all that might be a long story saying that definitely maybe the older Model 25s were more powerful than the RRs.  :) 

And it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone had contradictory experiences / evidence :)

OK Ken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2018 at 11:37am
I can't say for sure, but when I was a kid in the late 50's early 60's, I and every other kid I shot with were convinced the 25 shot harder than the Red Ryder and all other Daisy BB guns.

The cool kids had the 25's!

I still shoot current made Red Ryders and 25's and I can't really tell the difference between them as far as BB speed. Both do well with aluminum cans at 35 feet or so.
Friend of the Daisy Museum #353

Being a kid with a Daisy-priceless
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2018 at 10:52am
I buy and fool around with alot of old BB 'guns. I just sold a "1936" D 25 that was shooting at just over 350 fps. Right at spec. All I did to it was reattach the trigger spring and give it a good drink of ATF. I currently have two Red Ryders from the 50's. Neither breaks 300 fps. I have had an early RR that shot near 340 fps. I think that the early versions did shoot harder. I believe that the 25 shot harder than the RR. What these vintage guns do today is a function of how they were stored and how many times they were shot. 
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic