Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Easy Targets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Easy Targets
    Posted: April-19-2018 at 6:55pm
Hey Forum Folks,

Let's hear some ideas about simple and cool targets to enjoy the Daisy's with. I've seen much speculation lately about which gun is the most powerful but the fun is in making those targets suffer!

Here are a couple of my favorites.
For indoor use, a 3" - 4" thick stack of box cardboard backed up with a piece of OSB or plywood makes a great backdrop. Often the BBs are recoverable and the cardboard can still be recycled. Mine will even stop a pellet at a rated 1200fps. Some paper targets can get pricy but a decent sized used calendar month will enable you to try to hit a particular day.

For outdoors a simple frame with a top rail will suspend spoons. The spoons (teaspoons or tablespoons) can be drilled at the end of the handle and, using a wire coat hanger, will swing when hit. Keep the targets far enough away in case of ricochet. Using another piece of wire will make an easy end hook for empty soda cans. The perforated aluminum cans are recyclable also. I know that metal swinging targets can be had for about $20, but where's the fun in that?

For more of a challenge save those wine corks. I've even laid them on their side and used the end as a "Bulls eye".

Drilling opposing holes in the edge of a jar lid and feeding a wire through will make a "spinner" when (and if) you hit it from a distance.

If there are any other ideas out there, short of building a classic shooting gallery, I'd love to hear 'em.
Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 9:17pm
I hang empty plastic water bottles from branches w/sisal twine. I mainly use the real thin ones. They're from 20 to 30 yards away from me and so far I've never had a ricochet come anywhere near me. I squeeze just a little air out of them before replacing the cap and hanging them (else they fill w/water) and that makes them soft enough that the BBs don't rebound off them like they can from a thick juice bottle or similar. Reason I use these bottles is because of the satisfying *thunk* they give when hit squarely! Big smile

Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 8:20am
Here's one I really enjoy. Take steel can lids, any size, and clamp them in your vise about 1/4 - 1/3 of the way. Fold them over just beyond 90 degrees. These are great "Iron Plate" targets for my air pistols and as a bonus are reusable. If you want to get fancier, use two lids and pop-rivet them together in an angle. You will get a fuller target and a heavier base.

I like to use my model 11 and pretend I'm in a tactical competition.
Air-It-Is
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 9:04am
Hanging pop cans are a great target for BB's and pellets.
For pellets I have seen spoons with the handle bent around a rod to make a spinning target.
With spoons there is a tendency to bounce right back at you.
Shooting at the convex side may help except for a hit in the center.
Gary
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 9:43am
Right. As I mentioned earlier, distance is your friend when avoiding ricochets. Softer mediums like cork, cardboard or carpeting absorb the energy. Their lifespan is limited though. I even flatten the spoons and sometimes add white paint.

P.S. Thanks for using the word "POP" instead of soda. Brings a tear to my eye and makes me a little homesick.   
Air-It-Is
oneandgone View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 9:42pm
It was sodie when I was a kid. That's like 30 years ago. lol
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2018 at 9:14am
Back in the 50's it was pop to us kids but grandpa called it sodie.
Some called it Coke as a generic term no matter what brand it was.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 8:43pm
I don't have any "pop" cans. All the cans at our house are wheat soda cans. :) We blew several apart this weekend with our D 74's.
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
twocompassheads View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocompassheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2018 at 1:04am
It was pop for us also back in the 50's, the big deal was RC cola 16 oz. and Bubble Up 16 oz., we would all sit outside the store on the curb and drink.  Sometimes with our Daisy bb guns after spending the day up in the hills plinking.  Those were the good old days when we could walk down the street and all of us had guns heading up into the hills of Duluth, MN.

Keep On Plinking
MarvMar View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarvMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2018 at 12:38pm
Hey...twocompassheads...neat story...brings back memories !!!

How about this one ! Back in the late 50s I was teaching Chemistry and Advanced Math at a "rural" high school here in NW Ohio.
The FFA kids were having a raffle...a 12 guage shotgun...every day a different fella carried the gun around the school to all his classes, trying to sell tickets. ..they finally talked me into a dollars worth of tickets...five for $1.00.
Yup, I won the gun. For the next couple weeks I had the gun on display in my classroom and all the guys would come in during lunch hour to  "admire" it.
Every year on the first day of hunting season the boys could have an excused absence, and the men teachers could choose between morning or afternooon off to go hunting. 
Everybody with a pick-up truck carried their guns in a rack in the rear window. 
????Were those the good days...or what????

Marv, NW OH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic