Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy 104 Double Barrel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy 104 Double Barrel
    Posted: May-22-2018 at 8:32am
Hello,

I'm new to the forum.  I joined to get some expert advice on a Daisy 104.  I got it recently in a collection of antique firearms and knew nothing about it.  I have friend wants to buy it and I am not sure what it is worth.  

Here is what I know.  The original owner got it for Xmas in 1941.  He owned it until he passed and it was in a closet with his family.  He sent the 104 to Daisy in about 1981 for a repair and while there Daisy re-blued the gun.  I have the letters exchanged between the owner and Daisy.

The gun functions perfectly.  It needs a couple of screws cleaned up and moved.  Somewhere in its life a couple of screw got reversed and need to be reset. 

I can send photos if you contact me at twines1@comcast.net.  Just figured out you can't post photos and I don't have a site I use to post photos.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Tom
Suppose you were an idiot and suppose
you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself - Mark Twain.
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 8:37am
Sounds like a nice gun, be sure to keep any paper work related to it.
Does it still have the shot tubes marked L and R?
Gary
twines View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 8:51am
I haven't looked closely at the shot tubes.  One has some burrs in the threads where they screw in to the barrels.  My gunsmith said a little valve grinding compound and some break free will smooth out the threads.  The tube appear original to the gun.  I will check for the Left Right marking.

Thanks
twines View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 9:53am
Pulled one of the tubes and could not find an L or R.  Figured they should have been on the exposed end but nothing there.  Checked the whole tube and bupkiss.  Where specifically should they be?  If they aren't there does that mean the originals have been replaced?

Tom
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 5:37pm
twines, your photos are below. As far as the value, I've seen them go from $400 to $1K -plus, depending on condition and such.

Good luck.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 7:44pm

Rick Cates View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2018 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by twines twines wrote:

Pulled one of the tubes and could not find an L or R.  Figured they should have been on the exposed end but nothing there.  Checked the whole tube and bupkiss.  Where specifically should they be?  If they aren't there does that mean the originals have been replaced?

Tom

The L and R are stamped on the flat part of the front screw in tubes near the bb hole.
I believe not all the 104's had marked tubes.  I have seen both variations in years past.  I am fairly sure some of the non marked tubes were on the original factory installed 104's.  Some collectors strongly believe they were all marked L and R from the factory, however I am not one of those collectors.
Daisy could have replaced them during the refurbish and that should have been on the paperwork as parts used.
Price is just what someone wants to pay and it is all about condition.
Just My 2 Cents.
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX
Rick - Lifetime Museum Member
Rick Cates View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2018 at 3:26pm
There is a 104 on ebay now with a buy it now.
It has a photo of the L and R  shot tubes shown.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Daisy-Model-104-double-barrel-BB-gun-1940/202299118903?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Rick in TX
Rick - Lifetime Museum Member
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2018 at 8:33pm
I'm of a mind that if the tubes are the right style and their patina match each other as well as the rest of the gun, that they are likely original to that gun. FWIW I believe Gary Garber also believes the shot tubes can be unmarked and still be original but I'll have to check his book to be sure.
oneandgone View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2018 at 12:16am
I think you're correct. I still prefer them to be stamped though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic