Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

daisy defender model 140 box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: daisy defender model 140 box
    Posted: May-25-2018 at 9:02pm

Hi
 I was hoping that someone would know what kind of box (if any) a Daisy model 140 would have come in?  Recently one was listed as being original but it appears to be 2 pieces with the gun sitting in a tray and the top lifts off. All the ones I've had (older Red Ryder and Lightning Loader Carbine) are flat tube shaped with flaps on both ends where the gun could be inserted. If anyone could share a picture of one, I would appreciate it. Thanks
Rick Cates View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2018 at 10:16pm
My Golden Eagle from 1939 has the same box as you describe and it is original.  I purchased it from its original owners brother unfired with the hang tags still attached.  A long story on why it was never taken out of the box.
It also has metal corner reinforcements which is something Gary Garber told me he had never seen before.  Its photo's are in Garbers book.
Just My 2 Cents
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX
Rick - Lifetime Museum Member
oneandgone View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2018 at 12:11am
IMO that box is a repro all day long. It is known that those boxes have been reproduced. I had an opportunity to buy a repro one a couple years ago and did not purchase it because I do not want any repro items in my collection.

How is the box nicer than the gun  which sports, according to the seller, a repro forearm label? The label being repro alone casts doubt on anything else in the lot IMO. That box has no wear. I don't buy it one bit.

Lastly, I have a genuine Model 40 box,  it opens clamshell, and looks 100 years old. 
zipper28 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2018 at 9:44am

Thanks 

That's what I was thinking. I have no problem with a repro box if it's cited as such. Big difference in value for sure. A box for a pre war Daisy would be hard to come by since I would think many were lost in the paper drives during the war.

I have original boxes for the 141 and 142 Defenders with one in really nice shape and the other rather sad but mostly complete. Both guns tho are in excellent shape.

Iceman View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2018 at 3:33pm
I actually contacted the seller and asked if it was a reproduction since there were some that showed up a few years ago.  He stated that the box is indeed original.  I too am still somewhat skeptical.  I have never even seen or heard of a Model 40 box.  Is it possible to post a pic of it?  I would really like to see one.  Thanks!
Star 
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2018 at 4:56pm
If you should decide to sell either of those Defenders and their boxes I'd be very interested, zipper.

Ice, I'd love to post pics of the box, but I don't show it off because I don't want to see it reproduced. I will say it's a very simple box, not flashy like the 140 box. 

Anything is possible so who knows, maybe it's original. I just find it awfully hard to believe. The gun is nice. There's just so little wear to the box, even on the inside, and again we know there are fakes. I wonder how long he's had this and where he got it. Provenance of any kind?
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2018 at 10:13pm
Another note on this gun... If you look closely at the sling near the end of the barrel...It appears to be stapled together. On mine it is riveted and I'm pretty confident mine is original, down to the original forearm label. The original model 40 slings are riveted. The 141 and 142 are stapled. Thoughts??
zipper28 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2018 at 11:54pm

I took another look at my own guns that I'm pretty sure sport their original slings and observed:

40  has rivets and flat hook ends
140,141 and 142 have staples and round hook ends

so based on that I would assume that 140 in question has  a correct style sling...

but that box looks too good to be true IMHO

By the way anyone know where I could get repro boxes for the Golden Eagle or original Red Ryder?  Just for display purposes of course.
bangpla View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bangpla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2018 at 1:09pm

I am seeing your posting about the Defender 141 & 142 boxes.

I would like to ask if you could maybe email me a picture or text to my phone the box for the Defender 142.

I would sure appreciate that.

Louie LeMaster
702-250-1937 cell phone

tatankatoo@aol.com 

Thanks very much.
LOUIE LeMASTER U S ARMY VIETNAM VETERAN 66-68
DAISY MUSEUM LIFETIME MEMBER # 40
tatankatoo@aol.com
text or call 702-250-1937
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2018 at 10:52pm
My 140 has flat hook ends, very similar to those on the 40, but not the same. Now I have to get out Gary's book and see what the one in there looks like.... 

Sure do wish that fella had put up pics of his repro label as well. I noticed now there are repro labels on ebay as well. What happened to that gun with box? It was supposed to end today, but seems to have been removed by ebay maybe? It's not in my watch list any longer...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic