Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Buy & Sell
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WTB Red Ryder band w/worn off copper plating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB Red Ryder band w/worn off copper plating
    Posted: September-27-2018 at 11:10pm
I'm looking for a VERY WORN copper plated barrel band. If there's barely enough plating to tell it had it at one time, that's ideal.

This is for my own personal version 1 RR, not trying to fool anyone but my band is missing and it bothers me. The gun works great but is beyond help as far as rust and other appearance issues.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2018 at 5:38pm
That will be a very tough find. I have two 1/2" model 40 bands but neither is a 1st var. I know there are ways to transfer a thin coat of copper onto steel. I think that just immersing the band in copper sulfate will deposit a thin coat of copper to it. Cheap and easy enough to try anyway. I'd try that on a band that is "as is" and see if it gives you the look you are after.......distressed with a smidge of copper.
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2018 at 6:58pm
I had actually given that a little thought- I do have a selection of copper salts left over from when I was really involved with making fireworks. They are used for the blue color they impart, same as you see if you've ever burned the insulation off copper wire before scrapping it I also have sulfuric, hydrochloric and nitric acids. Don't know if I'd use pure copper or copper salts. Plastic bucket for the solution and a battery charger... just seemed like a lot to go through for the meager reward, seeing as how I'm the only one who would know it had been done- or know it even needed to be done! lol Might be fun just as a proof of concept. Thing is, if it did that and it worked well, I'd be tempted to do the front sight band and then I'd get the itch to reblue it... all in all a rabbit hole best left undug.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2018 at 7:07pm
Or just dip a band in a simple solution and see what happens. Little to no work involved there. And don't go near any rabbit holes. Confused
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2018 at 9:02pm
Can't hurt, right?
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 10:21am
Found it's very simple to apply a thin electroplated layer of copper by using 3v (1.5v dry cell x 2), a piece of copper tubing or whatever (pure copper) for the anode and 100g copper sulfate in 2 cups water for the plating solution. I'll plate a blued band w/the bluing removed. Fortunately I already have everything on hand. So thanks for prodding me!
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 4:39pm
Wish everyone in my life was as easy to prod as you.Ermm
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2018 at 8:50pm
Got around to it, it's easy to plate but making it look old not so much.

almyjmoore View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almyjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2018 at 9:10am
Good job on the electroplating Cobalt327. Is that a painted barrel or does it just look like it is? I have a couple of the copper banded Red Ryders and they look to be blued. Al
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2018 at 5:24pm
It's blued, what there is left of it! This poor thing came to me with the stock and lever removed because the po was unable to reassemble it. At least the cost was reasonable ($20.55 shipped). It shoots great though. It is the hardest shooting unmodified Daisy BB gun I own, getting over 340 fps MV after soaking the seals for a few days and a few more days of shooting it (it was 327 fps right after soaking). And it's very accurate, too. I don't know if this is how they all are, but I'm not complaining.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic