Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - HOW TO TELL WHEN MY GUN WAS MADE- Reg/Lot No. code
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOW TO TELL WHEN MY GUN WAS MADE- Reg/Lot No. code

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOW TO TELL WHEN MY GUN WAS MADE- Reg/Lot No. code
    Posted: December-08-2018 at 9:37pm
The following is some info I've put together on the way the REG/LOT NO. are formatted. It's a work in progress. There's one document that tells the story of the Daisy numbering "system". I believe it was compiled in the early '90s. It's HERE. Also the Daisy Museum has a form you can fill out and mail to them to get info on when a Daisy airgun was made (form HERE).

Info specific to the model 1200 CO2 pistol: DATING THE DAISY MODEL 1200 CO2 BB PISTOL

The best online info for determining when a Plymouth MI model 25 was made is here: http://www.daisyking.com/history/chronology3.htm

The number Daisy first used was called the Register Number, or “REG. NO.”. The REG. NO. was a letter followed by six numbers on most guns (the No. 25 and the No 111 Model 40 Red Ryder, possibly others briefly used a number without a letter prefix). Beginning late 1972 the REG. NO. was formatted to let anyone knowing how, to decipher the year and month the gun was "made' (actually it was the date the gun was stamped, actual production could lag behind the stamping date). The REG. NO. stayed in use until sometime in the mid-'70s when it was changed to a “LOT NO.”

READING THE CODE
Until the 3rd quarter of 2017, all codes containing letters, A through M (less “I”) is the month:

MONTH CODES

A January
B February

C March
D April
E May
F June
G July
H August
I Not to be used  

J September
K October
L November

M December  

Reg. and Lot Numbers could be read by anyone knowing how from 1972 onward. From 1972 until 1982 the code was one letter (month) followed by six digits. The first digit is the last number of the year. The next five digits is the production sequence.

In approximately 1982 the code format was changed to:
One digit (year)>One letter (month)>Five digits (production sequence)

In about 1993 the format changed to:
Two digits (year)>One letter (month)>Five digits (production sequence).

Since then it has changed several more times but I haven't pinned down the dates as closely on the late model guns as I have the earlier guns.

The very first Model 880s did not have REG. NO.s formatted in such a way that the date could be discerned by anyone- the Daisy Museum was where that info is kept. After contacting Joe Murfin at the Museum, he replied with the following info on the first early 880s:

Sent:
Wednesday, December 12, 2018 2:37 PM
Subject: Daisy Model 880

"The first 880 frame was stamped A113155 on May 16, 1972.  So the A designation was simply a beginning of the model's Register No. sequence (can't tell you why it was not A000000.)  On October 5, 1972, a batch of 880 frames were stamped with Reg. No.s B061994 to B067600."

Additional info provided by Joe Murfin, Vice President for Marketing, Daisy Outdoor Products and Chairman of the Board, Rogers Daisy Airgun Museum, Denise Johnson, Daisy Outdoor Products, Customer Service Manager, and Orin Ribar, Curator, Rogers Daisy Airgun Museum can be seen here: http://www.jgairguns.biz/daisy-register-lot-and-serial-numbers-explained-ezp-55.html

I often read that "I" wasn't used by Daisy as LOT or REG. NO. prefix. The way I'm seeing it shake out is, "I" WAS used as a prefix before Daisy changed the numbers along about 1972 to allow anyone knowing the 'code' to decipher the year and month the gun was made. No doubt the thought was that “I” could be mistaken for the number “1”. So up until 1972 “I” was used, after ’72 “I” was not used. If the gun in question has an "I" prefix, the number is not decipherable by using the code below.

The following pertains directly to the model 880 but other models follow a similar pattern. However, the exact changeover dates will be different. From 1993 on, I need a lot more samples.

·         One letter>Six digits changed to One digit>One letter>Five digits

o    1982 Sept. LOT. NO. J202705

o    1982 Nov. LOT. NO 2L08750

·         One digit>One letter>Five digits changed to Two digits>One letter>Five digits

o    1992 Aug., 20th Anniversary 880 LOT. NO. 2H03196

o    1992 Dec. LOT. NO. 92M15985 (NOT a 20th Anniversary model)

·         Two digits>One letter>Five digits changed to Four digits>Space>Five digits

o    1993 Nov., LOT. NO. 93L11694

o    1994 Oct. LOT. NO. 1094 15318 (this should eventually be shown to have begun by early 1994) (this should eventually be shown to have begun 0194 xxxxx, according to the ‘Reg. No. Document of Record’

By August 2008 "LOT. NO." was dropped and just the numbers/letter remained.

LOT NO. Four digits>Space>Five digits was last seen to be used 2011 Feb. on a model 880. The 1938B had already changed by 2010 when the format changed to Thirteen digits>One letter.  This lasted until about Aug. 2017. The month code also changed to:

F : Jan

G : Feb

H : Mar

J : Apr

K : May

M : Jun

N : Jul

Q : Aug

U : Sep

V : Oct

X : Nov

Z : Dec

In the 3rd quarter of 2017 the Daisy airgun number (no longer called "LOT NO.) format changed yet again. Now it contains 16 digits and a new format for the letter suffix of the month. The first two digits indicate the production facility, the next two are the year, then a production sequence/QC number and finally the letter indicating the month.

This format has been seen on models 35, 105B, 880, 901, 1910, 1938B and 1999C.

The new month format is similar to the original where A = Jan., B = Feb., etc. except this time the letter "I" IS used.

Regarding the Daisy Red Ryder:

If it is a newer model that has either "No. 1938 Red Ryder Carbine" or "Model 1938B Red Ryder" stamped into the top of the gun, the Reg. or Lot No. will tell the date.

The first variation of Red Ryder was the No. 111 Model 40. At first they had no Reg. No. When Reg. No.s began to be used on the 111-40 on 12-1-52, they had a Reg No. without a letter prefix.
If it's a Model 94 Red Ryder, they were made from 1954-'58. There were several variations.  Later guns used "A", "B", and "C" prefixes.

If it's a No. 111 Model 40, as Joe said, they were made between 1940 and 1954. There were several variations. The various features are used to narrow down the year, but exact dates aren't available.

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2018 at 9:52am
DATING CLUES

• Daisy started using plastic for stocks and forearms in late 1950

• Look for a “REG. NO." / “REGISTER NO.” or a "LOT NO." Daisy began stamping guns with register numbers in 1952; "LOT NO." started about 1972
  • Blued ended, painted began 1952-‘53
  • High (newer) lever pivot position began on Red Ryder Model 94 Carbine on May 10, 1954
  • Oil holes began about 1955, same time as leather seals were changed to synthetic seals
The “OIL HERE” hole does indicate synthetic seals, however there are guns like the the later Plymouth made 155 that have no oil hole yet uses a synthetic piston and barrel seal.

• Scope holes started about Sept. 1955. Last seen (so far) is on a model 111 REG. NO.  K372285 that has the “Daisy Quality Products” sticker on the lever flange and scope holes. According to Joe Murfin its date is Oct. 1973.

• Look for “Plymouth MI” or “Rogers AR”. Daisy moved from Plymouth to Rogers in 1958
  • On sears guns, the J.C. Higgins brand ended shortly after Sears introduced the Ted Williams brand in 1961
  • The round dime-size woodgrain Daisy sticker on the lever flange was used when Heddon/Victor was involved with Daisy, seen between ~1970 and ~1977

• Plastic trigger/non removable shot tube began 1978

• Slotted screws changed to phillips about 1973

• Warnings cast/stamped on the gun began ~1988

Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2018 at 7:37pm
Once again, this is good stuff, Cobalt. I even printed off this info to use as a handy reference. It is waayyyy too much to commit to memory.....at least for me. Good to have on hand.
Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2018 at 12:58am
Thanks for that, I appreciate it.

PLEASE CHECK HERE FOR UPDATES 
I'm listing these things by the approximate time they began so new entries will not necessarily be added to the end of the list.

DATING CLUES
12-18-18 Added info about dating Heddon/Victor guns
12-19-18 Added when warnings appeared on guns
12-24-18 Added Sears model info
1-2-19 Added when plastic started
1-3-19 Amended date bluing ended
SteveinUT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveinUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2018 at 5:34pm
Very informative thread. I just got a Mod 99 today, for free. In pretty decent condition, too, except the shot tube is missing and it has a broken lever. Just got a lever ordered off of Ebay and I ordered a new shot tube from Daisy. I think everything else is good, but I am new to these older Daisy's. If anyone can tell me the approximate manufacture date for this 99, I'd appreciate it. I'm just curious. Wood stock with a missing medallion, and wood forend, along with a factory sling. It is: 
Reg# 607075 It *might* be L607075. I can't tell if the "L" is just a small scratch that looks like an L or not. Thanks! 
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2018 at 2:30pm
It likely is a letter L, that would follow the REG. NO. pattern of one letter followed by six numbers. There's a chance it was made Nov. 1976 but w/o the lever being there to give a clue I just cannot be sure. There's a good chance your gun was made before it was possible for anyone knowing how, to read the date from the stamping. To be sure you will need to send a form in to the Daisy Museum, there's a link at the end of the first paragraph of post #1.

Good luck.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2018 at 9:13am
Steve, I wish I had a nickle for each Daisy I found with a missing shot tube. There were a few comments on here a while back on that subject, and the frustration it causes. Some of us have "Frankensteined" those guns by screwing in model 25 shot tubes. The length may not be exactly the same but it might get the gun back in shooting condition.

I have a couple extra tubes on hand for just such an occasion. Daisy still sells them. Less than $15 each as I recall.

Is your 99 a single shot or some other variation?
Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2018 at 5:23pm
SteveinUT, if you see this re read my post- I edited it.
SteveinUT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveinUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2018 at 10:17pm
Thanks gents! I have a new shot tube on-order from Daisy for it. I don't *think* it's a single shot? I guess I'll find out when the shot tube gets here. By the manual, it looks like the tube is unscrewed from the barrel and then there is a tab I slide forward to expose the fill port. The manual says it's a 50 shot tube, if I remember correctly. 
SteveinUT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveinUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2018 at 9:06am
Good to go. Another old Daisy back in service. It even shoots pretty good, so I think the seals are ok. Oiled them up so hoping it will build even better power. At about 10 yards it won't reliably penetrate a pop can, but it did manage to punch through a couple of times. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic