Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plymouth Model 25 Spring - Free length?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plymouth Model 25 Spring - Free length?
    Posted: March-07-2019 at 9:27am
I am replacing plunger spring and seals on a 1953 Plymouth Model 25.

Question - what is the correct free length and coil count for the plunger spring for this gun?

The gun that I have came with a flat spring that is 5 3/4" long with 21 coils.  Unfortunately, that spring is broken into three pieces.

I bought a replacement spring from a knowledgeable source, but it looks WAY too long.  It is 10 3/4" free length with 38 coils.  I installed it, but it was so strong that it ripped the plunger seal apart. 

I have a Model 99 spring that is 7 1/4" long with 21 coils and I was considering using that.  Would that give me enough power to have some fun?

Thanks for your help.
Be Prepared
Daily shooter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daily shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 11:10am
BSA, check jgairguns online. Part No. DIA25SP2. These are round wire for synthetic seals
11$ each but think they have 15$ min. Flat wire springs from Plymonth guns had leather seals.
They have 5pages of 25 parts. Think their shipping is a little high but they are a good source.
They also have a shop manual you can download.

Just a customer. Good luck. Tom
BSAGuy View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 1:35pm
Thanks for that dope, Tom.  I have bought from JG before.  I was hoping that someone might have a Plymouth spring laying around on their bench.  Clearly the 25 plunger is longer than all the lever gun plungers, and I am curious of the plunger spring shouid be longer as well.
Be Prepared
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 1:52pm
Hey BSA, I don't know if it is appropriate for the #25 but, I have a spring that came from a pop gun. It measures 10 1/2" free length. It is made of round wire and I counted 39 coils.

If you wanna take a chance.....
Air-It-Is
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 1:58pm
I just updated my last post. The length is more like 10 1/2"
Air-It-Is
BSAGuy View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 1:58pm
Thanks a ton, Russ.  That is just the type of information that I was looking for.  The leather seals that came out of the gun were OK, so I may use the spring I have and the leather seals and see how it works. 

I only want to reassemble this once.  This 25 has been a b***** (bother!) to take apart compared to the lever guns.
Be Prepared
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 2:06pm
I follow your way of thinking. I never tore into a model 25. It seems as if this one has a lot of history for you. Passion always justifies extra effort. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 3:38pm
I still haven't found any concrete info on your spring.

There should be no reason the plunger seal aka piston should have been damaged. If you're using a synthetic seal, the pin used with the leather seal is not used. Instead, a longer pin is used, and it is what the spring bears against.

But regardless of what pin was used, the spring still sounds like it's too strong. Do you have the wire OD? If you do I will tell you what the rate is compared to other Daisy springs.

Regarding whether the other spring you have will work, the spring needs to be under at least some preload when it's installed on the plunger.
BSAGuy View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 4:54pm
Thanks, Cobalt.

I'll measure the wire gauge this evening and report.  Perhaps the issue was with the plunger retaining pin.  I used the one from the gun originally and it was not long enough to capture the spring.

I am learning this as I go.  If the spring was bearing on the silicone plunger, then no wonder it separated, and that was the issue.

With the leather seals, I guess the spring can bear on the metal plunger head without breaking it.  
Be Prepared
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by BSAGuy BSAGuy wrote:

Thanks, Cobalt.

I'll measure the wire gauge this evening and report.  Perhaps the issue was with the plunger retaining pin.  I used the one from the gun originally and it was not long enough to capture the spring.

I am learning this as I go.  If the spring was bearing on the silicone plunger, then no wonder it separated. and that was the issue.

With the leather seals, I guess the spring can bear on the metal plunger head without breaking it.  
That's exactly right! The way the leather plunger head is constructed, the spring never bears directly on the seal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic