FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plastic stocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2019 at 7:40pm
I had the older model 25 I believe 1952 that was painted but still had the scroll work with a plastic stock and had the"Daisy Creed"? on the but. I really liked the feel of the slimmer checkered pistol grip, and man that thing was powerful. I worked in thermoplastic injection molding for 25 years, and it almost appears Daisy was using old "plunger" type machines, you can see the black marbely color was not mixed in like a screw machine does. It also almost appears they had bad mold designs as well causing un-even shrink rates adding to the warp problem. A good condition early plastic stock model 25 is a nice looking gun, they seem sleeker to me, I would not mind getting another one. Early plastics are also another category to collect.Smile
Dannop2 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2019 at 9:11pm
Man ! , that one looked like it may have seen some time by an old radiator , I guess my 97 isn't all that bad LOL , thanks for sharing and now I know why they are so hard to get back straight . 
Realshooter
BSAGuy View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2019 at 8:31pm
Man, that's one wicked twisted stock for sure.  Thanks for posting for Gumslinger, cobalt.
Be Prepared
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2019 at 5:05pm
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2019 at 3:59pm
If you don't have any luck, send them to cobalt327 at hotmail dot com and I'll post 'em for you.
BSAGuy View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2019 at 3:48pm
Hi Gumslinger, P

Posting pics here does take a little practice, but if you can autopsy a stock and find all the great information that you shared, I know you are more then up to the task.  Here are some photo posting steps for you:

To post photos:

1. First upload your desired photo to a hosting site.  I use Imgur.  Others here use Postimage.

2. When you reply to or start a thread and you want to post a photo, type in your comment, then move your cursor to where you want the photo to appear in your post.

3. Click on the Tree icon in the first row above the window where you put your text (6th icon from the left).

4. This will open a pop-up window titled "Image Properties."

5. In this pop-up window, you will see a blank space in the upper right with a pre-filled "http://" in it.

6. The site where your image is stored will display several types of links that you can copy and use.  Copy the "Direct Link" link.

7. Paste this copied link in the blank space mentioned in #4 above.

8.  If you have a double http:// delete one of them.

9. Just to the right of the blank space where you copied the photo link, click on the rectangular button labeled "Preview"

10. This will cause a preview of your image to open.  It will look YUUUUGE, but that's OK.  It will look normal sized in your post.

11.  At the bottom right of the "Image Properties" pop-up, you will see a rectangular button labeled "OK"

12.  Click on that button and your picture will be visible in your post.

This all sounds more tedious than it is, so give it a try and don't get discouraged.
Be Prepared
Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2019 at 2:37pm

One last note for plastic stocks.

In Dunathan’s 1971 book he states the 1960’s new plastic stocks “have a cast-in texture that feels like wood, and has a variable grain pattern from piece to piece. The hollow plastic thump is gone, thanks to a Styrofoam and steel-ball filling that gives the gun heft and stability”.

He recalls that in the 1950s, plastic stocks were variously supplied in tones ranging from deep purplish mahogany, through blond, all the way to Ivory. (pg. 79).

He goes on to say that in 1952, the Number 141 Defender was the first Daisy designed specifically for plastic stocks. (pg. 98)

Newer stocks (wood-grain plastic) do not have any visible manufacturing logos that I can see.

The trigger-spring mount-block is now integral to the stock. Question: did Daisy do all their components in house? Did they move their old production equipment to Arkansas, or did theybuy everything new? I would like to find out who or what MPC was…

The forearms which I own are marked any one of these numbers: MPC 1, MPC 2, or MPC 3. I don’t have enough of these loose pieces to see if they represent a color code, a production run, or what have you. The style of the forearms seems to be universal, and all seem to warp. One poster in this forum says he has successfully straightened a number of forearms using heat & pressure.

Dunathan says: (pg 78)

“By the mid-fifties most lever-action forearms were a common part number A1113, which was grooved for a lightning-loader tube, whether or not the gun had one. Similarly, one common stock, number 211, fit many lever-action models and had a hole for a sling swivel whether or not the model carried a sling. The model 107 slide-action originally had a stock number 1075; this was later changed to a number 960, a 2” inch shorter lever-action stock with the lever area filled in with a piece of folded metal”.

Well, now you know all I know. Hopefully someone will find more information in the future, so collectors, or I-just want-to shoot-my-gun guys will have a reference of replacement parts to keep their fun guns in useable order.

PS:  BSA guy wanted me to post the autopsy pics on the Red Ryder stock. They are pretty interesting, but apparently it is very difficult to post pics on this site.

JCN
rexron911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rexron911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2019 at 10:10pm
I have a few 94's and a 107 that have this issue of warping. I just look at as a time of daisy evolution.
Okay, Black Bart, now you get yours!!!
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2019 at 2:50pm
Yep G.... I believe you and I are of the same mind. I've put several old Daisy guns back in service with a little "innovative" repair. Better to have a fixed Daisy than no Daisy at all.   
Air-It-Is
Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2019 at 12:23pm

Frankly, when I picked up this old Daisy I was a little more than surprised I could not readily find a non-warped (or even a replica) stock for this vintage gun. I just wanted to rebuild & shoot it, not even thinking about it as a collector’s item. That is why I looked into this situation, and like you, wonder why nobody has made replica stocks--if only to keep the casual owner from discarding an otherwise nice gun as ‘useless’. Better to keep the old Daisy’s around, original or not.

JCN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic