Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plastic stocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldwizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2020 at 3:23pm
Have the book, love wood, hate plastic.

Ejwills.
Ejwills
Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2020 at 4:01pm
Cost or not, I bet Daisy would have sold even more guns back in the day if they had stuck with wood. I totally agree with you.
BSAGuy View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2020 at 5:38pm
Thanks for the dope, Gumslinger.  Very informative.
Be Prepared
kstim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kstim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 12:26pm
I have a 1968 model 25 with a plastic stock, it has some slight warping.  But I must say I prefer the color of the plastic stock to the cheap looking wood on the current production Model 25
Tim Meyer
zipper28 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 6:48pm
Speaking of plastic stocks, I have a model 98 (not an Eagle) with a monte carlo style stock that I have not seen very many like it. The plastic is strong and heavy with checkering molded in it. The lot number is A402744 making it from 1974. It  has the safety on the side and a separate butt plate that screws into the stock.  Did Daisy use this stronger plastic on any other models? It has a nice solid feel almost better than the comparable wood models.

Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 8:49pm

The only types of material I have ever identified for Daisy plastic stocks were Fibron, Fiberon, and Celanese. All basically Cellulose Acetate formulas. I heard somewhere that polystyrene was the next in line, but no confirmation there. I believe Daisy was producing stocks in-house by 1960 or so.

I think they also kept working at improvements in their plastic works. I never heard of a product recall or universal fail of plastic stocks. Daisy apparently was good about repairs and quick turn-arounds, so did they simply swap out warped stocks for new? Or were the warped stocks just a small percentage on new guns at the time? After years, sure, I would expect warped plastic on these surviving guns--but some have not warped at all.

Looking at the warped butt stocks in general, I saw two types of warping. The first was a lazy curve of the whole stock to one side or the other (storage issue?). The second was a “sucking in” near the butt where the internal stiffening rib ended. If the force was greater on one side, the stock veered that way. This might never have happened if the internal rib had completed the journey to the butt plate. Oddly, I have not seen a ‘twisted’ stock, but maybe the stock’s shape prevented that.

In the case of your particular stock, without filleting it open to see its internal structure, one might assume that Daisy’s plastic had finally become stable enough to resist age or variables in storage. Owning an un-warped vintage Daisy is certainly a good find.

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 12:29am
Originally posted by zipper28 zipper28 wrote:

Speaking of plastic stocks, I have a model 98 (not an Eagle) with a monte carlo style stock that I have not seen very many like it. The plastic is strong and heavy with checkering molded in it. The lot number is A402744 making it from 1974. It  has the safety on the side and a separate butt plate that screws into the stock.  Did Daisy use this stronger plastic on any other models? It has a nice solid feel almost better than the comparable wood models.

Daisy used that stock on several models, all from the '70s (aka the Victor/Heddon years). The photo shows the short-lived model 454 lever action pellet gun over your 98, then a different photo of your 98, and Airitis's gen 1 Model 499 on the bottom.

Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 8:45am
Thanks for the pictures Zipper and Cobalt.
A friend has one with a stock like that. Only one I have ever seen.
Gary
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 9:50am
https://i.postimg.cc/F19NB8zP/daisy-98-088.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[/QUOTE] The photo shows the short-lived model 454 lever action pellet gun over your 98, then a different photo of your 98, and Airitis's gen 1 Model 499 on the bottom.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for remembering my 499 Mark. I was just about to mention it. I really like the shape, straightness and "heft" of that stock. A real adult style!
Air-It-Is
zipper28 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 10:01am
Thank you Cobalt for the pictures and information. My internet search yielded very little information on this variation. Now I will be able to dig a little deeper.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic