Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy no. 102 model 36

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy no. 102 model 36
    Posted: March-31-2019 at 10:09pm
Hi, I have a Daisy BB rifle no. 102 model 36 nickle color and wood stock (1936-1940), 500 shot.
It fires but my question is:

1. I cannot find an oil hole to oil the seal. The only hole is in the tip where you load the ammo. I am wondering if this is not an air rifle but just a spring that pushes a firing pin type piston instead.

2. Where can I see a schematic or user manual.

3. this is in fair condition and wondering what it is worth.

Thank you.
39hunter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 39hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2019 at 11:11pm
Your daisy 102 came with leather seals without a oil hole.  To oil the seals, stand the gun with the muscle up and put oil down the the shot tube and let stand overnight.  A non detergent 20 weight oil is recommended.  If you want a schematic of this 102, my email is on my profile.  The Blue Book of Air Guns list a value from $30 up to $150 for mint.  You can look on eBay under sold to see what one like your has actually sold for.
Pat
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2019 at 11:19pm
Your gun was made before the oil hole was used (the oil hole came at the same time these guns went to synthetic seals, about 1955-ish. You can oil it by putting to oil into the gun where the lever pivot screw is, on the underside of the gun. Tip the muzzle down so the oil goes towards the seals. More on oiling leather seals: http://forum.daisymuseum.com/rejuvenate-or-replace-leather-seals_topic8070_post34833.html?KW=leather+seal#34833

Your gun is constructed much the same as other Daisy repeaters and even has a fair amount in common with current production guns. All I have on your gun specifically is from the late Dave Albert's site where Grant Stace posted the following:

No idea on value- much depends on condition.

Good luck.
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2019 at 8:52am
Unload all the BB's before you oil it to make it easier for the oil to get to the seals.
whale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2019 at 11:05am
Thank you 39hunter, cobalt327, Bavaria55n for your quick replies. 
Which way do you think is more effective adding oil through the shot tube or the lever pivot area?
If you use the shot tube do you need to remove the shot tube and clean the oil off the inside of the tube?
Do you know where I can buy new  seals and which is better leather or synthetic?
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2019 at 4:46pm
If you choose to oil the seals through the shot tube and not to make a tool to put the oil in through the air tube, you want to clean the oil from the shot tube when you're done. The shot tube will continue to get oiled up from the mist of oil being discharged from compression chamber by the now-wet seals every time it's shot- this cannot be helped and while it's doing this accuracy will be subpar. Only after many, many shots will leather seals settle down and quit expelling a smoky mist every shot and then accuracy will improve as long as the shot tube is still periodically cleaned free of oil. If there's one real negative to leather seals- the last two sentences describes it. I shoot all my guns and want them to be as accurate as possible, so I personally prefer to use synthetic seals to replace the leather ones when they need replacement.

One way around all the mess and to have the best chance of maintaining accuracy is to disassemble the gun and with the plunger in hand, apply oil sparingly to the piston seal allowing it to soak in between applications. Same thing for the barrel seal, although getting oil on the seal can be tricky- dripping it down the inside of the gun seems to go everywhere except the seal, but as long as the oil hits the walls of the compression chamber, it'll reach the barrel seal. But only use a little at a time, allowing it plenty of time (hours) to soak in between applications. The whole routine can take several days if the seals are really dry. Use paper towels to blot the barrel seal of excess oil after its saturated- wad it up and push it against the barrel seal with a wooden dowel. Same for the piston seal- blot with paper towels. If oil contaminates the BB magazine inside the front part of the barrel shroud, if you care about accuracy it has to be cleaned out. Oily BBs are as bad as an oily shot tube for killing accuracy! Most people won't go to all this trouble and are satisfied adding oil through the shot tube and be done with it.

If you take it apart and you see the leather has become dry rotted and/or is missing chunks or the leather is flaking away/falling apart, they're toast and you need to then decide which type seal you want to replace them with. I can't help with where's best to get leather seal. I buy synthetic seals from Daisy, it's good to have several things you need to help defray shipping costs.

I'm sure other members will have there own thoughts on all this, and I encourage anyone with an opinion to chime in! My way is not the only way and may not be the best way- it's simply the way I do it.

Good luck.
tomaustin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomaustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2020 at 11:06pm
I know I am resurrecting an older thread....I found a Daisy No. 102 model 36 in the corner in my garage....Having read this thread, I have several questions......did anyone ever find a manual for this rifle ?.........my rifle does have an oil hole in the barrel clearly stamped "oil here" in an arc over the small hole.......besides looking skunky, I cannot figure out how to load the bb....there is a hole on the top surface about two inches from the end of the barrel...it is spring loaded and is impossible to load bu pushing it down....I expect the barrel end should rotate and open the hole for loading....however, it is either rusted shut or not the means to open the load opening.....if rusted shut, I expect I can soak it in oil for a few hours +++ and hopefully it will turn.....if it is not the load means, what is ?

I have several new air pistols in vintage weapon styles..I am looking forward to enjoying all of these..

Pyramid Air weapons is the manufacturer of the pistols....

Any help on the Daisy would be gratefully appreciated.......Tom
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 10:06am
Yes, the shot tube should turn. That exposes the hole for loading BB's.
Apparently rusted in place or jammed.
Trying some oil down the barrel may help if rusted but may not get to where it needs to be.
See the thread above on oiling. May be able to apply some penetrating oil.
Gary
tomaustin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomaustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2020 at 12:31am
thanks Gary...good info.....gonna try soaking it overnight and hope that will help it loosen..........
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2020 at 1:10am
Here is the only "manual" that would have come with the 102, in the form of a hang tag,  Only thing Daisy included with their products back in the early days,,,  I sell these if you want a repo.  send me an email found under my profile...  Hope this helps.  Rick
Right click on the image and select " open image in new tab" , then click on the picture in the new tab to get a supersized image to view.  These instructions vary based on your Op system and browser...

Aim Straight
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic