Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red Ryder No. 111 Model 40 restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2019 at 6:55pm
Thank you for telling us about your 111-40- it's great to have a family heirloom like your Daisy! I am fortunate enough to have my dad's Winchester Model 61 .22 rimfire and my granddad's Winchester Model 60B single shot, also a .22 rimfire and his Davenport 12 ga. shotgun. I still shoot them and they are among my most cherished possessions and like you, I wouldn't take any amount for them. 

The spring should be an easy fix but if you hit a snag, don't hesitate to ask for a hand with it. Replacing the nuts is a good idea, the screws can strip the threads in the rather thin sheet metal of the receiver if they're overtightened and the nuts prevent them from needing so much torque. Once the screws are snugged down nice and firm, you can hold a screwdriver in the slot to keep the screw from turning while you tighten the nuts. The trigger screw doesn't use a nut, but the stock through screw and the lever screw do get nuts. The star lock washers go under the screw heads, not under the nuts. Lock washers are used on the trigger and lever screws, not the stock top or through screws.

Hope to hear from you in the future!
Kansan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2019 at 2:30pm
I once rehung an old axhead that I found and it became an addicting hobby and I now have a large collection of vintage axes. I a m starting to see that Red Ryder BB guns might become something similar if I don't watch myself! I have contacted a few airgun repair people about the replacement barrel band and they recommended maybe buying a parts gun to get it from. I see on eBay there is someone selling a bunch of parts for around $60 (including the barrel band but also including half of the rest of the rifle that I don't need). Is this the kind of deal I am typically going to see? If I simply wait for someone on eBay to sell the exact barrel band am I going to be waiting forever?

I am not sure how big and thriving the 70+ year-old BB gun market is, ha ha. When I get the parts I'll post a picture or two if I can figure out how to do that.

Cobalt, that is great you have some of your grandfather's old guns. I understand what those old guns can mean to a person. Before my grandpa passed away, he had me over to his house and gave me his entire gun collection. I had been dreaming about some of those guns all my life but when he handed them to me that last time, I just felt incredible sadness and would have traded them all for another day with him. I ended up distributing most of them to my siblings and other relatives because preserving his memory was more important to me than the guns. That being said, I kept a few really special ones including a 16ga Winchester model 1912 that he inherited from my great grandfather. There are a few others, but I still think the Red Ryder might hold the most meaning for me. It was my first rifle and it was for Christmas, and my grandfather was alive and well when he gave it to me. Also, I have a childhood full of memories using it. Thanks for sharing your own stories, the guns are cool and the story behind them is even cooler.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2019 at 10:33pm
You occasionally will see 111-40 forearm bands for sale but they go for pretty good money. Just be sure you're getting a 111-40 band- the 111-40 band is a little wider than the band on newer Red Ryders and other Daisys. 

You can still buy a blued band for the current production 1938B Red Ryder for $2.00 plus shipping directly from Daisy. If you email me I'd be glad to send you one of the newer type bands, your choice of a new one or one from a used gun that would match the 'patina' of your gun better so it wouldn't stand out as much for being a replacement. FWIW, I used a new band on my 1941 copper band RR- it came to me without a band and the new band fits okay. If you didn't know any better, you'd think it was original. I had to copper plate then 'distress' my band to match what the original would have looked like and that's a step you'll be glad you can skip!

Just one man's opinion but you might want to consider leaving the gun basically as-is. If you think it's not shooting as hard as it should, you can try adding some oil to see if the piston and barrel seal is dry. Details on oiling the seals can be seen HERE. As long as the leather of the seals hasn't dry rotted, these seals will last indefinitely. My 1941 111-40 I just spoke about shoots over 300 fps with nothing more than oiling the seals. The leather seals are sold by a few vendors, or you could replace the leather seals with modern seals. Some details on that are on the same page I linked above.

Refinishing the wood or rebluing is something you see done sometimes, but I'm of a mind that every nick and scratch is a testament to those who owned it in the past, so I tend to leave them alone as long as there's no chance of the damage becoming worse, like a crack in the wrist or something like that. But in the end it's your gun so all that really matters is what YOU want, and in the bigger scheme of things those who will handle the gun after you're gone will not cherish it any less because of anything you might do to it today.
Kansan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2019 at 10:34am
Well I did end up buying that lot of parts on eBay that included the old blue barrel band. Probably overpaid for the single piece but who knows, maybe I'll need the other pieces someday.

I agree with your philosophy on keeping it "as is" on the dings and nicks. I think I'll just replace the missing parts, fix the trigger spring, and oil it up. Then it should be good to go for another few generations.
BSAGuy View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2019 at 3:57pm
I agree with you, Seth.  I feel that unless a gun is just a pile of rust, that it's better to leave irt as found and get it functioning again.  Even more so for a family BB gun.  The patina was put there by your grandfather and dad and have become a part of the gun's story.
Be Prepared
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2019 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Kansan Kansan wrote:

Well I did end up buying that lot of parts on eBay that included the old blue barrel band. Probably overpaid for the single piece but who knows, maybe I'll need the other pieces someday.

I agree with your philosophy on keeping it "as is" on the dings and nicks. I think I'll just replace the missing parts, fix the trigger spring, and oil it up. Then it should be good to go for another few generations.
You have good eyes, I looked for that listing so I could try to be sure the band was the right one for your gun, but I could not find the listing anywhere!
Kansan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2019 at 10:37pm
Yeah, it looks like the guy pulled the listing down. Here is a pic of the listing (I hope this photo shows up):

The description didn't mention the band but looks to me like there was a blued band. The description was this: DAISY RED RYDER CARBINE NO 111 MODEL 40 PARTS. WOOD PARTS ARE ORIGINAL OAK, NO SPLITS, COCKING LEVER, TRIGGER AND TRIGGER SPRING IN VERY GOOD SHAPE. TRIGGER SCREW ORIGINAL, MISC SCREWS SEEM TO BE ORIGINAL BUT CANT TELL. ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK BEFORE BUYING.
39hunter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 39hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2019 at 12:07am
Seth, the Daisy Red Ryder No 111 Model 40 barrel band for the wood forearm is 1/2 inch wide.  I saw the original posting and I think it is correct.
Pat
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2019 at 12:07am
I don't really think you overpaid, especially if you can recoup some of the cost by selling a few parts you don't need. For that matter, I'm in need of a forearm so if you end up with an extra one, I'd be willing to buy it.

This is my 'nekkid' 111-40, sad thing that it is:

oldwizzer View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldwizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2019 at 11:28am
I sold this 1946 model about 8 years ago, with the box, all original. I believe I sold it for $150. It was worth a lot more then I sold it for.

Ejwills.

Ejwills
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic