Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

model 95 seals?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68champs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: model 95 seals?
    Posted: June-08-2019 at 1:42pm
Just bought a model 95 that shoots a bb about 10 feet. I tinker now and again. What do I need and where do I start? Is there a manual available? Thanks in advance!
meatchicken sucks
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2019 at 2:37pm
Real good chance that the barrel seal has become stuck to the piston and is riding back and forth on the air tube. Very common problem and seen more on the wide frame guns for some reason.

You will want to disassemble the gun and replace the barrel seal and piston. The air tube most times can be cleaned up by running a 5/64" drill bit into the center to open it up from being peened over from years of slamming into BBs when the gun is shot. If you find the spring is distorted you can replace it while the gun is apart.

Everything you need can be bought directly from Daisy. You can reseal your 95 using parts made for the current model 25:

130225-100 Plunger head $1.50 each   

130126-100 Barrel seal $1.00 each

150272-100 Air Tube $1.50 each (not needed if buying the Red Ryder plunger assembly)

132938-000 Plunger pin $0.25 each (not needed if buying the Red Ryder plunger assembly)

Pretty fair chance the spring will be sacked at least 1/2" but hopefully it's not distorted the way some will do (see photos below for what a bad one looks like!). If you wanted to hedge your bet, order a Red Ryder plunger assembly and that'll get you a new spring, air tube and air tube pin. Part number is 169750-000 Plunger assembly, cost is $4.00. The piston used in the Ryder is 7/8" so will not fit your 95. You can use the spring, pin and air tube.

Daisy Customer Service/Parts Ordering email address: info@daisy.com
Main Office and Customer Service 479-636-1200

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2019 at 2:46pm
A manual is HERE. It's for the 99 but is basically the same except for the shot tube and the 99 uses a trigger 'module' instead of the simpler stamped trigger in the 95. Next post down from the 99 manual is another more generic Daisy manual.
Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2019 at 8:35pm
Regarding those spring pictures, is that distortion from age, misuse, or modification-gone-awry? Does that distortion actually occur on an installed spring? Thanks for posting those pics--I cant imagine how that can happen...(and I sure don't want to cause it as a newbie self)...Thanks.
JCN
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2019 at 1:54am
My guess is it's poor stress relieving/heat treating of the spring. And it happened while installed in the gun. I've seen similar distortion in several other guns but this was the worst case. The model 95 the spring came from looked as though it had never been apart prior to me repairing it. The screws didn't show tool marks, the air tube was well worn but unmodified, there were no preload spacers or any other indication that someone had been messing with it. The MV was basically non existent, I could throw a BB way further than it could shoot one. Besides the spring being distorted the seals were stuck together just like what I suspect is the problem with the OP's gun.

Another thing the OP can check is the shot tube- make sure air can't pass through the seam. The shot tube below also came from a model 95 but not the same gun the spring was in. The seam can get a gap in it if a BB or other object gets lodged in the tube then is forced back out. I know of no reliable way to repair them once the gap is there- the seam can be resealed but the tube ID will still be too large, allowing pressure blow-by and a lower than normal MV. The gun with this shot tube was doing around 200 fps with good seals.

Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2019 at 2:50pm
Sorry to interrupt, but Cobalt, could that unblemished gun have come from the factory with the wrong spring installed? Has that ever happened? Is there a spring chart anywhere to reference off of? Thanks.
JCN
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2019 at 7:22pm
The spring measures as it should for number of coils, wire diameter, OD/ID and free length. The free length is somewhat of an estimation due to the spring's condition but when combined with the other specs, I'm confident it is the correct spring for the application.

I would never say never, but Daisy tended to use the same springs in all their guns from a particular era with the exception of the early years at Plymouth, and later years at Rogers with the 25 getting a shorter free length spring than the others. There were also guns like the 1984/30-30, 26/572, and 499 that used different springs than the mainline Daisys. Likely others that I'm forgetting too.

I know of no such chart. Anyone?
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2019 at 9:19pm

As a newbie I am just getting swept up in this. So I need to settle down and pick a Model to focus on (I am leaning to the No 25 pump--my first Daisy). Cobalt shows up everywhere on the airgun net’ with in-depth “innards” information. I’ve learned more about seals & springs & triggers from you than all others put together. I suspected some conformity on Daisy parts, but when I see exploded pics of Daisy guns on eBay or in forums (even within the same Model line ) the springs all seem to be different in length, # of coils, etc. That is why I wondered if there was a Daisy chart for reference--or even if it makes a huge difference (or damage) if springs are swapped out. That was my main concern after viewing your pics of that twisted spring…

JCN
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2019 at 10:35pm
Thank you for the support, much appreciated.

I edited the guns listed above that use different springs than most Daisys of a particular era. A lot of folks like the no. 25. I'm more of a lever action guy myself and I guess because of that I don't know the 25 as well.

To check if an original spring is too distorted, it should slide off the plunger tube by gravity alone. If it doesn't, I'd recommend replacement. The gun may still shoot with a distorted spring but it will not shoot as well as it could with an undistorted spring. They can not be bent back into a usable spring if it's distorted. You may think it's okay after bending it back straight but I can assure you that once it's put back in service the same distortion will quickly reappear.

Despite the appearance of springs, they could have similar performance- and that is what really matters. Most common Daisy lever action BB guns with the exception of the current model 25 (I know- not a lever action lol) and possibly the 1894 (I know squat about them) can use the current Red Ryder spring as a replacement. In some applications it won't have as much spring rate as the original but in the majority of them it will have a similar or slightly greater rate. The 104 spring below has a smidgen less rate than the 1938B spring. The 499 is by far weakest with the 25 2nd. weakest.

Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 12:34pm
Now THAT is what I'm talking about! Pictures, labels, and dates. This is a good jump-off start to cataloging any springs (known or unknown) that may come into my possession. Thanks for the post & your organizational skills.
JCN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic