Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Would you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would you
    Posted: August-02-2019 at 5:49pm
Hey All
 How many here would buy a collectable Daisy rifle that was about 10-15 years old in an unopened box. I have 2 or 3 that I am itching to open. Off hand ,one is a Winchester made by Daisy and one is a Red Ryder that came in a box that looks like the original box the Red Ryder came in. Doe's it really matter if the box was opened or not
Stevec
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2019 at 7:44pm
To a dedicated collector I think it would matter. Or to put it another way, the unopened gun would be worth a premium over an opened gun. In my opinion, that is. ¯\_()_/¯

If your Red Ryder is a model 1938B in a retro box like shown below, there's nothing special about the gun inside- at least there wasn't on the two I bought from WM online for $24 each (bought two for free shipping). FWIW, last time I looked, they were still selling for the same thing as I paid. They were just your run of the mill '38B: orangish "china mud" wood stain (my description, used from 2006 to the present), plastic trigger and lever, leather thong on a steel ring attached to the receiver with a plastic 'rivet'. If it was made earlier, it won't have "Made in China" stamped into it and the stain will not be as obnoxious. These differences could amount to it being more desirable but for the time being not much attention is being paid one way or the other.

Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2019 at 8:27pm
I bought a red Ryder a couple years ago, new from W M. I plan on keeping it unopened just for grins and giggles. Currently no demand for them but eventually, who knows. The Winchester might be a different story.
I've found that an unopened piece is more desirable if it is out of production. The new RRs are like fly scat, you can get them anywhere and for cheap.
What is your Winchester?
Air-It-Is
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2019 at 5:27pm
I don't think you guys know what you are talking about on this. This did not come from WM but from the Daisy museum. Cobalt, I did not see any pictures
Stevec
BB1Shooter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2019 at 6:31pm
Steve, I think the answer you are seeking, is based on what the buyer is buying it for.

Is he buying it for collecting of a mint unopened airgun, to be stored away in a closet or is he buying it to display & possibly use?

So different types of collectors are looking for different things. I personally would never collect airguns in unopened boxes that you can't see what's inside. But others may.

I would buy gold or silver, stocks & bonds & other things of this nature, instead of sealed boxes that you really are not certain what is inside. Although you may be certain what is inside, the person buying from the next seller may not. What would Rick in Pawn Stars pay for something in an unopened box?

So, maybe a readers poll is in order. Question, Who would buy vintage airguns in a sealed box, with no 100% certainty of what's in the box, strictly for investment purposes. And who would buy a vintage airgun to collect, display & possibly use.

I think this is the question you seek a reply to.

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2019 at 10:45am
Personally I wouldn't buy anything without first knowing what I was buying! 
zipper28 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2019 at 4:04pm
I would definitely want to see a Daisy before purchase. Especially if some serious cash was involved. To me an older Daisy would be collectible because of condition and/or rarity. If the original carton was included that would bring up the value considerably.

These newer guns are so common and available that I can't see them as future collectibles. Many people have bought them just to put away. And many are made as limited editions and anniversary models. Will these really be collectible in the future? I don't see any real value there.

But that's my opinion. If you think that collecting all the Red Ryder special editions and countless anniversary models is the thing to do then go for it. I just prefer the older ones that have survived all these years.
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2019 at 5:49pm
Hey all
I feel the same way as I would want to see what I am buying. The thing about collecting is you collect what you love but then you move to other areas of collecting in the same area.Like if you collected all the older stuff, which I had, then you move on to other stuff like the ANN and limited edition stuff. Just like you collect things related to Daisy like,paper work,cleaning kits,store displays, parts, etc. The reason I asked this question is I had a rifle that spent all the time in a box but the box had been opened at one time and later found out that light rust had formed on it. Bottom line is I think I am going to open the boxes. I think I have one or two more to do as sometimes I would buy two of one rifle but would only open one. Getting older and have sold all my older stuff and now selling the newer stuff
Stevec
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2019 at 6:18pm
Hey Cobalt
I got your pictures. Are you saying you brought those at Wal- Mart.You are right about the 1938B rifles as they are all the same but what makes them different is what is printed or inscribed on them and what is printed or type of box they come in. A limited edition rifle might only be a model 1938B but it is what it is made out to be. Like the original 1983 Christmas story rifle. Yeah, just a 1938B but very collectible.That was a fluke but when you say limited edition or Ann model it puts a hole new spin on a plain Jane Model 1938B. Just saying
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2019 at 1:07am
Stevec. I see your point and agree. I've only kept a few boxes but I feel they are special. Daisy/Winchester M14. Anniversary Christmas Dream, Model 25 bought at the museum. Etc. I shot them all except for the Dream but since it's just a fancy 1938B l saw no need. What makes the guns special is how I, as an owner feel, not what the gun is. So as always, buyer beware and enjoy the product no matter the motivation.

Air.
Air-It-Is
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic