Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy 880 over oiled or wrong oil?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrOverride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy 880 over oiled or wrong oil?
    Posted: August-14-2019 at 5:06pm
i got my first 880 and did some mods to it but from taking it apart over and over the oil was gone so i put some petroleum-based lubricant (i know your supposed to put motor oil on it i just didnt have any) on the sponge and i put ALOT (not knowing you can over lube) but now when ever i pump and fire it it makes a werid suction noise. if needed i can post a video on youtube, should i take it apart and wipe the lube off? or does anyone know a fix?
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2019 at 4:44am
What is the lubricant you used? 
MrOverride View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrOverride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2019 at 12:12pm
Liquid Wrench lubricating oil, supposedly safe for rubber and plastic so i thought it would be fine

MrOverride View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrOverride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2019 at 12:18pm
I have also noticed that it does not empty all the air when i fire it, i have to fire it 2-3 times to get it empty
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2019 at 6:04pm

There are different ways you can go:

• Disassemble and clean. Considering it's retaining air, I would recommend this.
  • Or the pump lever and piston can be removed w/o a complete disassembly so you can use a clean rag to blot the oil wiper to remove the excess oil. Then wipe out the inside of the compression tube. Reassemble and dry fire it repeatedly with 5 pumps. Point the barrel down while doing this to rid the gun of the excess oil.
  • Or you can flush the gun with alcohol without disassembling it. Put as much alcohol  in as the wiper will hold as well as down the barrel and dry fire it as above, repeat until you'r satisfied the oil is gone.
As far as the gun retaining air, the 880 uses a "dump" valve. That's to say the exhaust valve is tripped fully open when the trigger is pulled, and remains open until the bolt is cycled to cock the gun again. So because of its design, the valve itself cannot retain air if the trigger mechanism is working as it should.

There could be a couple causes, but the bottom line is there's something amiss if the gun retains air and the only way to get to the bottom of this is to disassemble and investigate. Once the barreled action is out of the receiver, you can manually cycle the action to check the trigger/valve function and to see the interaction between the trigger and the valve. There's a spring between the trigger and the forked piece that is attached to the exhaust valve- this spring has to be installed correctly and not crooked or binding, else the gun can retain air. There could be other reasons but that's probably the most common. Next most common is a bad trigger job can also create this problem.

Let us know if you have any more questions or need clarification. And good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic