Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

straighten a Red Ryder shot tube

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: straighten a Red Ryder shot tube
    Posted: October-05-2019 at 6:22pm
Hi has anybody been able to straighten the end cap of a shot tube? I have a Red Ryder with one that is noticeably cocked and would like to fix it. Looks like it might have been dropped on the barrel to end up like that. Maybe I just need to "drop" it again to straighten it? Any suggestions? I don't want to mess it up. Thanks
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2019 at 8:17pm
I have never tried to straighten the cap of a shot tube myself. I will say that I've seen some that were pretty skewed and the guns still shot okay, so I would see how it shot first. 

Good luck!
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2019 at 9:08am
I was always afraid it would break off if I bent it back.
It may take being bent back and forth a few times though.
Gary
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2019 at 12:19pm

Hi, I tried this once with success, but depending on the severity of the offset, it could end in disaster, or at least the need for a new shot tube, commonly about $20 on 'the Bay'

What I did was obtain a solid steel rod of about 6 inches long and just under .177 as you have. Place the shot tube tightly in a good vice protected from damage with wood and place the steel rod into the front of the shot tube only deep enough to get to the bent portion but not beyond. Wrap the protruding portion of the steel rod with a drag or glove, carefully and only slightly push the steel rod in the direction to offset the bend in the shot tube.

This worked for me, I hope it works for you, let us know.

Regards, gkenny.

stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2019 at 5:23pm
Hey gkenny
Am I thinking of the wrong person but were you the one getting out of collecting. I know someone here was doing it. Like me there comes a time when it has to end, sad but age does that
Stevec
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2019 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by stevec stevec wrote:

Hey gkenny
Am I thinking of the wrong person but were you the one getting out of collecting. I know someone here was doing it. Like me there comes a time when it has to end, sad but age does that
Stevec

I think you are thinking of someone else, but it will be soon for me also.

Regards, gkenny.
Dannop2 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2019 at 8:38pm
May be thinking of thefuse .
Realshooter
zipper28 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2019 at 12:30am

gkenny thanks for the advice but the tube is not bent it's just the end cap that's cocked a bit. It's not a real big deal but the gun is near mint and I wanted it to look better. Think what I'll try is putting it in another gun and try to carefully tap the barrel end on a hard surface to get it straight. 
Dannop2 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2019 at 2:04pm
I had a couple of them like that and just used a hammer with plastic round deal instead of steel and just gave them some wacks and they both looked fine , same with a bent tab , you should be fine .

Realshooter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic