Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adult Red Ryder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2019 at 2:46pm
The more I look at the 1938AAR stock, the more I like it. It's done similar to how Shane makes Daisy stocks, where the stock is wider and narrows down at the receiver. Too bad Daisy stopped making the wide frame repeaters like the 95, 96, 99, etc. They would be awesome with a similar stock treatment.

I just had a thought- we've used model 499B abutments and shot tubes in 105B Bucks as well as 1938B Red Ryders to make them into uber accurate high powered single shot guns- in essence a poor man's 499B. So why not put a 1938B shot tube assembly into the 499B receiver, along with a HP spring and add the piston and air tube from a '38B to make a 499 repeater? Having the 499 trigger assembly would also be great. There would need to be a way to load the shroud with BBs, but besides that it should work...

For that matter, I have a custom made 1938B, I call it my "#1 Red Ryder", that uses a 1938B abutment assembly along with 1-1/2 model 499 shot tubes joined together. That shot tube assembly could be used in a 499 receiver to make a true 499B repeater. I think I know what my next Daisy order will be! Sadly Daisy quit selling bare receivers for $17.00, so now I have to buy a receiver with the powerplant installed for $30.00 with no trigger, shot tube, stock or sights. Still, a whole lot cheaper than starting with a complete 499B!
Dannop2 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2019 at 3:35pm
You are a tinkerer for sure M , sounds like a whole bunch of fun making one up and even more shooting one , still have to get a moment to mess with my 200 but I will get back to it .
Realshooter
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2019 at 9:24pm
That's me alright- I admit I do get a big kick out of the ones that actually turn out good! I figure no harm, no foul because I always use guns that have no value to collectors. 

And speaking of which, I forgot I have a 99B here that uses the same receiver as the 499B. It only has holes for the plastic trigger, but other than that it will make a perfect stand-in for trying out this idea. Plus it'll save me almost $50 in the process!

Let me know if I can do anything to help with getting your 200 up and running.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2019 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

The more I look at the 1938AAR stock, the more I like it. It's done similar to how Shane makes Daisy stocks, where the stock is wider and narrows down at the receiver. Too bad Daisy stopped making the wide frame repeaters like the 95, 96, 99, etc. They would be awesome with a similar stock treatment.

I just had a thought- we've used model 499B abutments and shot tubes in 105B Bucks as well as 1938B Red Ryders to make them into uber accurate high powered single shot guns- in essence a poor man's 499B. So why not put a 1938B shot tube assembly into the 499B receiver, along with a HP spring and add the piston and air tube from a '38B to make a 499 repeater? Having the 499 trigger assembly would also be great. There would need to be a way to load the shroud with BBs, but besides that it should work...

For that matter, I have a custom made 1938B, I call it my "#1 Red Ryder", that uses a 1938B abutment assembly along with 1-1/2 model 499 shot tubes joined together. That shot tube assembly could be used in a 499 receiver to make a true 499B repeater. I think I know what my next Daisy order will be! Sadly Daisy quit selling bare receivers for $17.00, so now I have to buy a receiver with the powerplant installed for $30.00 with no trigger, shot tube, stock or sights. Still, a whole lot cheaper than starting with a complete 499B!

Air-It-Is
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2019 at 5:29pm
Hey mark, I made a little modification to one of my "Mare's" that may be helpful in solving the loading port situation. I made a metal band with a thumb tab which circles around the barrel shroud. A hole in the shroud lines up with a hole in the band. You spin the band away and the hole is closed. It's held in line with two #4 machine screws on either side of the band. The screws are cut to about 1/8" long and tapped into the shroud. If you would like I can email a couple pix of the set-up as finished.
Air-It-Is
Dannop2 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 12:23pm
Sounds good on the 200 Mark , the updated spring conversion on your new Adult RR should be a very cool upgrade , I  may have to do something like that some time too when I get some time , Airtis has whetted my appetite for a Mares Leg too , another want on my list .  
Realshooter
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Airitis Airitis wrote:

Hey mark, I made a little modification to one of my "Mare's" that may be helpful in solving the loading port situation. I made a metal band with a thumb tab which circles around the barrel shroud. A hole in the shroud lines up with a hole in the band. You spin the band away and the hole is closed. It's held in line with two #4 machine screws on either side of the band. The screws are cut to about 1/8" long and tapped into the shroud. If you would like I can email a couple pix of the set-up as finished.
Sure, I'd like to see it.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Airitis Airitis wrote:

And here it is- thanks!

Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 10:39pm
As you can see I need to Dremel out the forearm a little more to keep it from scraping the paint, but otherwise it works well. In case you wonder, I also had to make the front sight band. It went on last.
Air-It-Is
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Dannop2 Dannop2 wrote:

Sounds good on the 200 Mark , the updated spring conversion on your new Adult RR should be a very cool upgrade , I  may have to do something like that some time too when I get some time , Airtis has whetted my appetite for a Mares Leg too , another want on my list .  

Dan, I just sent you an email. just a clue: when your appetite gets whetted.....FEAST!
Air-It-Is
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic