Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RR Trigger Safety

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2020 at 11:55am
Hi Jay,
The so-called "anti-bear trap" is the feature on current Red Ryders and similar models that keeps the cocking lever from slapping closed on your hand if the plunger isn't engaged totally. If you've noticed, the lever goes through seven clicks before the pressure spring is fully engaged. The seventh is the one that makes firing possible. Each of the initial 6 clicks are just slow increments so no injuries will occur.

The older models didn't have that safety feature. The lever was simply cocked all the way open and the plunger was engaged at the very end. If the lever slipped out of your hand.....OUCH!! Just like a bear trap.

The current trigger assemblies have the feature attached. It looks like a saw protruding from the assembly and each "tooth" acts as a ratchet, thus the clicking sound.
Air-It-Is
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2020 at 5:32pm
Back then kids played jokes with it as they would cock it and leave the lever down and hand it to a so called friend to fire and when they did the lever would come up and slam against their fingers. Happened to me a time or two when I used to work on then. Smarts BIG time LOL
Stevec
BSAGuy View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2020 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Airitis Airitis wrote:

Hi Jay,
The so-called "anti-bear trap" is the feature on current Red Ryders and similar models that keeps the cocking lever from slapping closed on your hand if the plunger isn't engaged totally. If you've noticed, the lever goes through seven clicks before the pressure spring is fully engaged. The seventh is the one that makes firing possible. Each of the initial 6 clicks are just slow increments so no injuries will occur.

The older models didn't have that safety feature. The lever was simply cocked all the way open and the plunger was engaged at the very end. If the lever slipped out of your hand.....OUCH!! Just like a bear trap.

The current trigger assemblies have the feature attached. It looks like a saw protruding from the assembly and each "tooth" acts as a ratchet, thus the clicking sound.

I experienced the snapping cocking lever as a kid of 7-8 or so.  Cocked my Model 99 and didn't fully seat the lever.  The lever fell out of the crimps in the receiver designed to hold it in place.  It dropped all the way down and I fired.

YEOWEE!  The lever came up with such force that it broke the finger beside my pinkie big time.  To this day, I have a discolored calcium-filled bump on that finger as a reminder.
Be Prepared
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2020 at 8:49pm
The difference is, the lever can accidentally slap back during cocking (what I described) or slap back if not closed, when fired. Come to think of it..... it hurts a lot either way. I betcha' the anti-bear trap has saved many a little finger.
Air-It-Is
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2020 at 9:56am
I had the chance to check out the gun I opened this discussion about. Definitely put together with parts. The right side of the stock has a medallion that looks like it was done by hand. This one is really one-of-a-kind!! What I like the best about it........The black paint is touched-up with a Sharpie. A real collectors item.
Air-It-Is
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic