Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Broken & cracked 1894 receiver halves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRJ69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken & cracked 1894 receiver halves
    Posted: February-18-2020 at 1:06pm
Has anyone fixed a broken or cracked 1894 receiver half 

Curious if that can be done 

Thank You 

Ray
BSAGuy View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2020 at 6:31pm
I don't think you can fix these.  They are just made of cheap Zamak and not steel or any decent alloy.
Be Prepared
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2020 at 1:21pm
If- and a big if- I were to try to repair one, I'd use muggy weld. The cost for it exceeds the cost of a good used part, though. It would need to be a gun very dear to me before I'd try it.
twocompassheads View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocompassheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2020 at 10:36pm
LRJ69
   I repaired the left receiver top tang that was cracked, I posted the repair but can't find it here.  I could repost the pictures and you can see how this one was done.  The cracked tang would fit back together with slight pressure and not be noticeable.  I used a piece of stainless steel wire and ground the inside surface area for the epoxy and wire and bonded everything together.  I used Gorilla two part epoxy but next time will try a different epoxy to see if the final hardness is better and quicker.  It should sit for 24 hours to make sure the cure is complete and a test sample on paper or cardboard for testing strength.  If you use J B Weld then rub it in a little to make sure the bond is good to the metal. 
    I will go ahead and repost the repair pictures here so you can see it.  You can do the same thing with the right receivers if they start to crack by the hammer which is the most common spots.  If the tab breaks in two in that area which is the most common breakage of the 1894 receivers then you will have to add a small pierce of tin or banding strap as a stiffener along with the epoxy.  Check for clearance inside the receiver so it doesn't interfere with the frame of the gun or other attachments or tight spots.
Keep On Plinking
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocompassheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2020 at 10:42pm
The picture are backwards putting them in here but not sure how they will post, so start at the one with the cardboard card in the crack.
Keep On Plinking
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocompassheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2020 at 10:44pm
It was the bottom tang not the top one.
Keep On Plinking
LRJ69 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRJ69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2020 at 10:12pm
Thanks for the pictures "twocompassheads" I have a right receiver that is cracked next to the hammer. I think I will mix some JB weld and force it into the crack somehow & hope that repairs it 

Thank You 
Dannop2 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2020 at 10:28pm
Man I will tell you I am a big fan of Max - 1 , I have fixed a bunch with it , the whole kit with the filler and the primer is the best one and getting two smaller sets or just one is better than getting a large kit as it just will dry out too fast , I get about 2 years + out of one kit keeping it in a sealed bag in the fridge , hope this is of some help to someone .
Realshooter
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocompassheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2020 at 11:56pm
Dannop2
     It’s pretty pricey for the medium kit but I think I’ll try some for various jobs and see how it sets up. Have you tried metal to metal bonding?
Keep On Plinking
BSAGuy View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2020 at 10:01am
Nice tutorial, Dennis.  Thanks for sharing your talent.
Be Prepared
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic