Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Customize 1938 Red Ryder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarvMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Customize 1938 Red Ryder
    Posted: March-26-2020 at 10:11am
Is it possible to replace the shot tube in the 1938 CARBINE with a Model 25 spring loaded tube? 
Marv, NW OH
Ford57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2020 at 12:29pm
MarvMar
   The model 25 shot tube does fit my old 1950's RR, but sticks out the front of the barrel by about 3/8 of an inch. I'm emailing you a picture of what it looks like. I shot a few BBs out of it and also a picture of my first shot where the BB stuck into a piece of wood just like it is supposed to.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2020 at 12:56pm
I've used the 25 tube in several guns, it works great. MV increases and accuracy almost always improves, too, due to the slightly closer fit of the BB to the tube ID. My stock maker, Shane, makes guns from basket cases and he almost always opts for the 25 shot tube. He uses a piece of polished/buffed copper tubing to make a bushing to fill the gap Ford57 mentioned above.

One other thing- everyone I know of, myself included- has thought the end cap of the new 25 shot tube was plastic. Well, turns out it's not! I think it's aluminum alloy, but until I remove one to check the weight, I'm not 100% on that. But it IS metal, not plastic!

Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2020 at 2:26pm
I've used new #25 shot tubes to make models 95, 96, etc. work again. Of course, the air tube pushes the first round out of the shot tube when incerted (like on the model 25s ) but that quirk is a small price to pay to get an old dog up and runnin' again! Sometimes you just gotta do what ya gotta do.   
Air-It-Is
MarvMar View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarvMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2020 at 2:58pm
Working with Shane on another "project". He's providing parts, I'm using one of my guns.
This will make #10
Marv, NW OH
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2020 at 5:41pm
I'm glad the collaboration has worked well for you!
Ford57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2020 at 10:52am
WOW! Cobalt327
    That's one neat looking air rifle. Does it have a custom stock also?
Jay
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2020 at 4:39pm
Jay, that particular gunstock was made by Shane but sadly I do not own it. I had the photo from when he made it and because it showed the bushing well, I posted it. Later I'll post some more of his work but in the meantime, here's a little eye candy- Marv's stable:

Shane's ebay store is Rest-O-Mod https://www.ebay.com/str/restomoddaisy
Ford57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2020 at 12:59pm
Mark
Those stocks are beautiful. Obviously Shane is real talented and he uses real nice wood. We never saw pretty wood like that in woodworking class in school. HAHA. Thanks for posting the picture and the contact information. Jay

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2020 at 2:32pm
Not to put too fine of a point on it, but Shane is very easy to work with and will use a client's ideas when he builds a stock.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic