Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Large thumb/finger tab on bb door

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cburns71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Large thumb/finger tab on bb door
    Posted: April-18-2020 at 4:25pm
I found an pat pending 880 with no spring catch on the lever and it has a large thumb/finger tab on the bb loading door. Have never seen a loading door like it on an 880. I believe its a 74. Anyone no how common these doors are?
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2020 at 7:24pm
Is it like the June 1973 Sears/Ted Williams 880 shown here? If not, you can email a photo to me and I'll post it here. cobalt327@hotmail.com

I don't recall ever seeing the larger tab like seen below on a Daisy 880, all have been the Sears/Ted Williams version. And all were made in 1972 and '73.

About the lever retention, by March 1973 there were 880s showing up that used the spring loaded lever latch. Prior to that, they used a breakage-prone plastic clamp affair. These are shown below for those who may not be familiar with the different types. But that's not to say it's impossible for an original 1974 880 to have the earlier retention system- Daisy didn't waste much of anything, so if a lot of useable parts turned up, I could see them using the parts in current production guns- and as with the levers, that could also be said for the BB loading doors.

Also, Daisy 880 levers are interchangeable so it's possible a different lever was used by a previous owner. Same with the barrel shrouds where the Reg. and Lot No.s are stamped. But most of the time, a reasonable guess of a gun's age can be made by taking all its features into consideration.

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2020 at 1:26am
The gun being discussed is below. It was made in Oct. 1973 and that puts it among the first Daisy-branded 880s (see the trivia below). Taken as a whole, the features that can be seen all support the date: stamped steel lever with removable handle and 1st. version lever retention, screwed-on rear sight, metallic paint, barrel shroud stamped with "PAT PENDING", RH loading port, LH stock screw, non removable "Daisy" grip cap and non removable unmarked butt plate. What I don't see is the BB loading port that was being asked about, maybe that can be shown later.

A bit of trivia: Judging by all the info I have been able to find, Sears got the 880 in 1972- before Daisy. And although this has never been stated by any Daisy authorities including Joe Murfin, I believe the facts support my opinion, because I haven't been able to document a single Daisy-branded 880 that was made any earlier than 1973.

Cburns71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cburns71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2020 at 1:53am
Thank you for the info on this Daisy. Your knowledge is appreciated. I did email you another picture that has the bb door. I will get a better picture tomorrow. I take it I shouldn't bead blast and repaint a crazy color and make a wooden stock? Thanks again
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2020 at 2:31am
I'd keep it original considering the condition seems to be good. The intake seal on these guns are unobtainable so if it holds pressure, you're fortunate.

Here's the BB door in question (the barrel shroud seen here is not a 1973 shroud):

I did find a photo of a Daisy-branded 880 made in May 1973 that looks to have the big door, so if I had to guess I'd say the big door was a 1972- '73 thing. It isn't seen on an April 1974 Daisy 880...
Cburns71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cburns71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2020 at 2:51am
It starts to hold pressure after about four or five pumps. Being pretty familiar with the 880's I pumped it until it felt right. I chrono'd it at 745fps with a pellet and 15 pumps. Picked it up for $10
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2020 at 9:35am
That's a bargain even if it didn't shoot at all!

I just looked at the photos you emailed to me again- can you share anything about the cool bolts you made for the 880 that are on your guns below? Also, the large BB door is on the gun at the far left. This shows how much further it extends than the "regular" doors.

You also mentioned making wood stocks for the 880- care to show us what they look like?
I'm sure there are folks besides just me who would like to see 'em!

Cburns71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cburns71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2020 at 1:34pm
Yes I will email you pics of a stock I'm building now. And it takes me about 2 hours to make a custom bolt. I can do them short or long of course and snuged up by the receiver or out a little. Thanks for noticing and the compliment!
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2020 at 5:11pm
Folks, here are some photos detailing the custom model 880 bolts and wood stocks:

PappyWagner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappyWagner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2020 at 10:03pm
That's wicked cool. 

"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie ?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic