Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Large thumb/finger tab on bb door

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2020 at 12:58pm
Right? I don't think he'd mind me mentioning that he runs a metalworking shop and does media blasting. He didn't say, but the design on the receiver might have been done with a stencil and blasting some sort of media to make it stand out.

Those bolts look killer, too. I'd like to know if they're polished aluminum or plated steel, or what.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2020 at 2:40pm
WOW!!   
My favorite Daisy to work on is the Red Ryder but my absolute favorite one to shoot is the 880. After seeing those pics my heart went into spasms. Talk about talent and creativity!
Air-It-Is
Cburns71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cburns71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2020 at 3:18pm
Cobalt327. Airings and PappyWagner. Thank you for the positive compliments. I have been experimenting with acid etching and do some sandblast templating too. When I was i kid I had daisy 780 I believe. One pump and had enough take out a bird living out in the prairie. My friend shot his dad's daisy 25 and complained about no power. So He ended up with a new daisy 880. I fell in love with that gun.. i wanted one so bad but my parents just bought me myself 780. That was about 1984. I bought one with my own money as soon as I could and I have never been without one i even bought my daughter one when she was 9. I like to customize them but I don't want to do something to a valuable 880. So I found myself here
Cburns71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cburns71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2020 at 3:19pm
sorry Airitis my phone spell checked me
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2020 at 3:20pm
I heard that- if I'm going to shoot pellets, it's an 880 that I'm reaching for! But for shooting BBs, I am stoked on the model 1910 I modified to be a multi pumper (uber easy to do, BTW). It has a nice tight smoothbore barrel, and is laser accurate for a BB gun. It holds my personal record for hitting a hanging mayo jar- 73 yards, and on just 3 pumps! Next is 71 yards with the camo 1999 lever action BB gun with a HP spring.
Cburns71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cburns71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2020 at 3:30pm
The gun i had was an 840 not 780. I will check out model 1910
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2020 at 11:36pm
There's a model 35 that is already a multi pump smoothbore BB gun built on the 880 valve body and FCG, and it would be a better choice for most than modifying the 1910. The main reason I modified my 1910 was to see if it could be done. But either one (35 or 1910) is a better choice for most folks than the 840 or 856 single pumpers because the valve body on the 840 and 856 is plastic, not metal like the 1910 and 35. They use the same VB as the 880 except for the intake seal assembly. After a while, the flexing caused by being charged and discharged will cause hairline cracks to develop in the plastic valve body and there's no way I'm aware of to repair it. And Daisy stopped stocking p/n 169319-K00 O-ring and valve group for them (these parts are different than what's used in an 880). The O-rings aren't a problem but the exhaust valve is a problem because it's unique to those guns.

Even though the smoothbore guns will shoot pellets, I stick to BBs in them. If I wanted to shoot pellets, well, you know what I'd use!
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2020 at 11:34pm
Another photo of Cburns' 880s, the top is a 1973, bottom is a 1983. The allen head screws are a nice detail.

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2020 at 1:17am
Here's something I'd not seen before. Check out the receiver. He made no effort on this trial piece to match the grain or anything. He said the idea came to him when he saw the scrap of wood by his saw, the result you see here:

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2020 at 6:01am
There's some really cool detailing to the wood on this gun! The man's worked with metal his whole life- this is his first foray into wood. I'm thinking the two disciplines must translate pretty well!

Unfortunately when I enlarge the forearm, the resolution suffers. But the work can still be seen.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic