Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recent Red Ryder Purchase at Walmart SURPRISE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trossit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recent Red Ryder Purchase at Walmart SURPRISE
    Posted: June-27-2020 at 10:35am
Yesterday, 6/26/2020 I decided to add to the collection a new Daisy Red Ryder.  Walmart had them on sale for $24.99 so I could not resist.  What surprised me is when I hoped the box i saw it had a gold (painted) forearm band and a METAL cocking lever.  I am not a big fan of the gold painted forearm band but certainly the metal lever! The gun does not have medalian on the stock and is not an 80th Anniv Edition.

Does anyone know anything about this configuration?  Is it just luck that this gun has a metal cocking lever?  The box states Part No. 300958-000, Revised 08/19.

Also....I am thinking of replacing the gold painted forearm band to the dark blued band.  Is this easy to do...and how do I remove and install this without scratching the forearm stock?

Thanks!
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 2:47pm
Does the box say anything about the lever being metal?

I've not heard anything on it so far. Daisy has occasionally used metal levers, but they seem to always gravitate back to plastic. Certainly never heard of a gold painted band, either. 

The band can be removed w/o damage, I loosen the forearm screw and press the front of the forearm towards the barrel to gain any clearance that may be available, then I use my thumbs alternately on the top and bottom of the band to push it forward. If you look at the band from the side, you'll see either the top or bottom will be further to the rear- push there first. Once the band moves a little, it comes off easily. A wooden driver can be used if it's on too tight. Just go easy, and tap the driver lightly- just enough to loosen it. 
trossit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trossit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 4:10pm
Cobalt, thank you for the great instructions for removing the forearm band, I will try it.

The box this Red Ryder came in is the red/white retro box with black printing.  The box said nothing about a metal cocking lever.  I might call Daisy Monday to ask them about this configuration.  There were 2 other Red Ryders at Walmart with the same boxes but now curious if they had the plastic or metal cocking levers.

Thanks again for your input.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 6:19pm
You're quite welcome.

I have a pair of the 1938B Red Ryders that came in the retro boxes, but they both have plastic levers and blued forearm bands. I don't mind at all that the bands aren't painted, but I'd like to see metal levers on ALL Daisys again!

ETA- I just checked, and FWIW my box says Part Number 300887-000 Revised 04-18. I bought them online in Dec. 2018. 
trossit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trossit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 10:20pm
Cobalt...I will call Daisy next week and post here what they said.  I feel very LUCKY to have got one with the metal cocking lever, I fully expected it to be plastic.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 10:57pm
Thanks, I'm sure folks would like to hear what they say- I know I am interested!
toolspp@yahoo.com View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolspp@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2020 at 10:02am
Originally posted by trossit trossit wrote:

Cobalt...I will call Daisy next week and post here what they said.  I feel very LUCKY to have got one with the metal cocking lever, I fully expected it to be plastic.
..If you call them I would like to know I've try 3 or 4 times No luck..Like to know if DAISY going to come out with any New Rifles..Thanks
trossit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trossit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 2:22pm
I just spoke with Daisy on this and they stated the newer Red Ryder standard 1938Bs will start using metal cocking levers again since they have been having too issues with plastic levers breaking.  It does add a better feel to the gun with the added weight from a metal lever. Thumbs Up
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 9:03pm
Gee whiz
The plastic levers have been working well for years.   Wonder if they changed the plastic formula?   

I noticed different metal ones have various weights.   I've even seen a few mushroom at the tip with extended use.   I bet they never go back to steel.
Air-It-Is
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic