Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No. 111 Model 40

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No. 111 Model 40
    Posted: July-23-2020 at 6:06pm
I am needing an original "blued" nut in excellent condition that goes on the stock screw/bolt for a No. 111 Model 40 Red Ryder.  Please reply to my email address on my profile page if you have one you would be willing to part with.  Thanks Guys!

Star 
Steve
twocompassheads View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocompassheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2020 at 11:47am
Iceman,   I have these, I believe one is the stock screw and the other one is the cocking lever screw.  The picture that shows the nuts up close has one nut that is flat on both sides (right one) and the other has a rounded edge on one side of the nut.  Can't tell you exactly what gun they came off of but maybe you can tell by looking at them.  Let me know if you think one of these will work, email me. den4570@yahoo.com
Keep On Plinking
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocompassheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2020 at 12:00pm
These I believe are the screws for the cocking lever, not the shorter one that I posted earlier. 
Keep On Plinking
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocompassheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2020 at 12:05pm
Maybe the ones I posted are not blued, they might be painted.  Not sure.
Keep On Plinking
Iceman View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2020 at 1:27pm
Dennis,

The bolt for the stock on the No. 111 Model 40 is slotted and of course blued.  The original nut that goes on it is a very thin nut that is flat on one side and has rounding edges on the other side that faces outward.  I have another No. 111 Model 40 that has the correct nut.  This one I just received is missing that nut.  I have a Daisy nut that fits it, however, it is not blued nor as thin as the original.  I am a little OCD when it comes to these Daisy's.  It appears to me that your bolts and nuts may be from a later version of the Red Ryder as they are phillip head bolts.  I certainly may be mistaken but they appear to me as perhaps painted.  Dennis, I really do appreciate your reply.  Thank you!

Star   
Steve
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2020 at 8:12am
Well Steve,   I'm pretty sure those nuts are at a premium.   I looked at a couple 111-40's and Red Ryders in my group and sure enough, most all the nuts are missing.   

Here's a thought.   You might be able to "create " new-old type nuts by grinding one side of a new nut to the desired thickness.   Remove all of the paint and use acid bluing for the desired effect.   May not be original but (with a disclaimer) would give the desired look.    
Air-It-Is
Iceman View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2020 at 10:36am
Russ, you are correct about being a premium and I have also noted on several No. 111 Model 40's I have clicked on eBay that those nuts are missing.  You certainly have a good idea, however, I am not one of those guys who has a lot of tools or even skills to probably accomplish that task.  By the time I borrowed or purchased a grinder, bluing etc., I probably could have bought some type of No. 111 Model 40 parts gun, removed the nuts and try to sell the remaining parts on eBay.  Don't laugh, I actually did that with a No. 50 Golden Eagle one time and actually made money on it.  However, the old saying "too much sugar for a dime" may be apropos here.  It is amazing how difficult it is to find something as simple as a nut even if it is vintage.  Oh well, there is at least some fun in the chase.  BTW fellow Daisy lovers, I actually found and bought that elusive Red Cap tube of BB's for my Bulls Eye Target Pistol Set.  The set is absolutely complete!  Thanks to everyone who was keeping a look out for this little rascal for me!

Star       
Steve
zipper28 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2020 at 4:33pm

I have taken some of the current RR nuts and slimmed them down to put on vintage guns. They look fine and are hard to tell from the original ones. Most nuts you find with the 3/16 32  thread size take a 3/8 wrench but the ones from Daisy are smaller and take a 5/16 wrench. The smaller nuts are rather uncommon. I couldn't find any in my hardware stash.

Congrats Steve on finding that elusive tube of bb's. Very hard to come by. 
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2020 at 5:02pm
They can be made real easy.I will get back to you and let you know how
Stevec
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2020 at 5:32pm
OK, here it is.Buy a 6-32 nut put in vise and drill out with a 11-64 drill. Tap with a 10-32 tap.Blue it by holding a butane torch on it or over a gas stove flame. The bluing may not be perfect but the size of the nut will
Stevec 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic