Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Number 25 Early Trigger assembly Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Number 25 Early Trigger assembly Question
    Posted: August-01-2020 at 5:08pm
Have a customer who works on 25's and got a very early one with the two piece trigger.  It had the flat wire compression spring in it but one leg was broken off , so it did not work.   So several weeks later he got a spring from me but now he can not remember how the sear and trigger go together.  Anyone have information on this assembly.

Here is a pic I stole from Jay (Gumslinger) fro m a previous post..  that is the trigger assembly I am referring to.

The next question is  will the newer version of the 25 trigger spring work in this trigger assembly once it is back in the gun?  I have no experience with this early trigger assembly so I can't help him.  But would appreciate any comments or help here.  Thanks.  Rick

Aim Straight
Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2020 at 10:42pm
Oh boy, I wish your buddy had taken pics of his disassembly before it was loose parts. I've learned to do that the hard way--really has saved my butt in the past. As far as his particular spring, I have never seen a schematic, description, or explanation of how this trigger is assembled. And believe me, I have looked. (We need a retired Daisy gunsmith on this forum).  

These pics are from a work in progress. A first variant, 1914, maybe a prototype. Trigger was loose & floppy. Upon opening, there was no flat-wire spring as I was expecting, BUT there was a coil spring (bent aside) and a rotating wire in a slot. (sheesh--only seen that in a No 25 patent). For what it is worth in this case, these are the pics of that disassembly. For all I know there was supposed to be a flat spring in there as well.
PS. If your buddy can reinstall his spring, please, please have him post the results here. Thanks.

jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2020 at 12:07am
Jay I had a hunch you would have some info on this trigger...  As I looked at it when he asked me some questions I began to realize this is an oddball.  i mean its not all that easy to figure out unless you saw one put together.  Never saw a 25 with a coil spring in the stock nor any wire in a slot!!  Holy cow I think yours is really baffling to me! He did say his had a broken flat wire compression spring in it.  But made no mention of a coil or wire..  I am going to send him this post and hope he can shed some more light on this.  I'm intrigued...  
Thanks Jay as always...

Rick
Aim Straight
GRM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2020 at 4:03pm
Good afternoon!
I just now joined the forum so we can discuss my issue with the trigger arrangement. Thanks to everyone involved, so far. 
My gun had a coil spring also. Unfortunately it simply fell out with the trigger parts as I removed the pivot bolt. I will post pictures and comments as time permits.
GR
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2020 at 5:29pm
Jerry    Welcome to the forum, and glad you could add some comments about your 25 trigger..  
Posting Photos is somewhat involved , but I would be glad to put any up for you if you email them to me... Regards, rick
Aim Straight
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2020 at 11:33am

Since there is no published information on replacing an early No. 25 trigger spring, I can only suggest these photos as a guide. The very early triggers have a rear-most pivot point. The next generation triggers have a front pivot point, and the ‘paperclip’ spring inserts as shown in the sketch. So does this mean the flat-wire spring inserts pointing in the opposite direction?

The long leg on the 2nd generation spring holds the safety bar down, so I presume the long leg on the flat-wire spring must do the same, in whichever orientation it is installed.

Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2020 at 12:22pm

Just for archival purposes, I am going to post the trigger pictures of the No. 25 Variant 1, screw-in-the-receiver (which holds the safe bar in place) in this thread. This gun is an oddball, trigger-wise, and I will follow up on the exploration as I continue--especially if I learn anything about the rotating wire thing…PS--this gun had been opened in the past, so I cannot state that anything might be missing, or switched, or…who knows.

The trigger spring itself is: 

--9/64” ID

--7/32---13/64” OD

--1 7/16” long

stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2020 at 4:57pm
Wonder if there is something in Gary Garber's book about this
Stevec
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2020 at 12:22am
Jay you are blowing my mind with these posts...  I see what the coil spring does, puts tension on the sear... but nothing in the patent drawings show anything putting tension on the safe bar..  so what does the leaf spring do?  put tension on just the trigger?  I am sorry just do not get it.  I think if I had one of these guns maybe I could make sense out of it.  Also what is that wire thing shown going under the trigger screw?????   I am confused.. 
Aim Straight
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2020 at 1:17am
I don't know where I read it, but it was specific to early gun patents, and it went like this: "Patents are very, very broad when presented for approval. In the meanwhile, the production department was left to adapt the design to reality. Reality meant on-the-fly changes, experiments, prototypes, goofs, cost trade-offs, management disputes, designer tirades, heavy drinking, and eventually the product hit the sales floor. 
So, that leaves us to ponder what the original configuration was meant to be. That is why I post all these pictures--hoping for input, or to give others that 'AHA moment!' that they can share here.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic